Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Wrong direction from right stick.

Reaction score
So, today I took my H out for some practice maneuvers. Just forward, back, the basics. Trying to get good at hovering. So all was good until I went to land. I brought it down and about a half a foot off the ground hit the red button while keeping the throttle all the way down. It set down and flipped right. I get it set it down and check everything over. I had done a recalibration on the compass before this. I checked all my arms, motors and props. Everything checked out ok. So, I spun the motors all good.. I take off and move it around a little and go into the next yard a little ways. I stop it and give it reverse pitch. It comes back toward me and stops after a few feet. Nothing I do will make it move. It then starts going at an angle instead of straight. I set it down. Nothing appears bent of crooked. I take off again put forward pitch in and it goes forward at a right angle instead of straight. same going backwards. Did I bend something that I can't see, did I tweak a prop or did I do something else? Any help would be greatly appreciated. With our state in lock down I can't get to some of the places I normally fly at. Practicing at home.

Without knowing where you were standing in relation to the drone, and which way the drone was pointing in relation to your position, it is hard to say. But some of what you describe would occur when the controller is in Safe Mode when the pilot thinks it is in Angle Mode. Please verify the controller is in Angle mode, and we can go from there.

Sounds like you are flying in Smart mode and have encountered the safe circle around the controller. Is your mode switch in the up position and Main LED green?

We recommend flying in Angle mode (mode switch in middle position). The Main LED will be purple.

For landing the TH hold the left stick full down until the aircraft sets down and the props go to idle speed. Then press B1 to stop the motors. Do not have any input on the right stick or you can induce the flip you got.

Attached is a great manual that covers almost all aspects of flying the TH. Please go through the sticky threads at the beginning of of the Discussion and How To forums for the Typhoon H.

Be sure to read the section on Smart mode if you continue to use that mode.

Attachments

• TYPHOON H USER MANUAL Vcho3-2.pdf
    4.7 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Reactions: Mechanic
I did print out the manual. Guess I better read it again and again. When I lifted off I turned the H so it was facing away from me. And I will make sure I stay in Angle mode. Thank you for the info. Will inform the next time I fly. This one is taking a bit of getting used to. Have a Solo that I have been flying.

Reactions: WTFDproject
Without knowing where you were standing in relation to the drone, and which way the drone was pointing in relation to your position, it is hard to say. But some of what you describe would occur when the controller is in Safe Mode when the pilot thinks it is in Angle Mode. Please verify the controller is in Angle mode, and we can go from there.
I checked and yes I was in safe mode. Duh, not smart me.

I've been flying for years. And did the same thing yesterday. The cure, of course, is to check before you lift off. But the "backup" is to learn from the error, so you can recognize the behavior quickly when it happens. Not one of us is perfect.

Reactions: DoomMeister
Been there done that also. I knew it right away but it was too late,my camera slightly bent but seems to be ok. That was last year.I been on this forum, practicing all winter,so we will see. Keith

Well, got a couple of practice flights in and no crashes . Woohoo. Bird is definitely touchy when wanting to slide right or left. It tried to do the hop, I just to it back up and landed with out an issue.

Well, got a couple of practice flights in and no crashes . Woohoo. Bird is definitely touchy when wanting to slide right or left. It tried to do the hop, I just to it back up and landed with out an issue.
When landing it is good to bring the aircraft into a hover about thirty feet away and ten feet up facing away from you into the wind. At this point let the H settle into a stable hover, check that the rate slider is in rabbit, then using the left throttle gently but with authority bring the aircraft down. Try to use very little right stick if any and when you contact the ground use full down throttle until the motors go to idle speed. Once on the ground do not use any right stick.

If you start to hop or tilt on landing go full up throttle and steer away from obstacles. You only need to get airborne by 10 to 15 feet. Get into a stable hover then attempt landing again.

When landing it is good to bring the aircraft into a hover about thirty feet away and ten feet up facing away from you into the wind. At this point let the H settle into a stable hover, check that the rate slider is in rabbit, then using the left throttle gently but with authority bring the aircraft down. Try to use very little right stick if any and when you contact the ground use full down throttle until the motors go to idle speed. Once on the ground do not use any right stick.

If you start to hop or tilt on landing go full up throttle and steer away from obstacles. You only need to get airborne by 10 to 15 feet. Get into a stable hover then attempt landing again.
I will remember that, thanks. I will also proof read what I type in, LOL.

Just throwing out a little more - these stop of forward movement actions reminds me of obstacle avoidance, circle of death, or obstacle/avoidance Real Sense activity. Sometimes the whole system acts different from expected, or it acts exactly as designed but it's in a situation we're not familiar with. Are you in very close quarters to the bird? Also, was your obstacle avoidance switch changed/moved?

Just throwing out a little more - these stop of forward movement actions reminds me of obstacle avoidance, circle of death, or obstacle/avoidance Real Sense activity. Sometimes the whole system acts different from expected, or it acts exactly as designed but it's in a situation we're not familiar with. Are you in very close quarters to the bird? Also, was your obstacle avoidance switch changed/moved?
I had actually moved the bird a distance away from me. Also I hadn't turned on the obstacle avoidance. It has been better since I changed the flight mode.

Reactions: 7cyclops
I do have another question about the flight characteristics. Is it normal for there to be a little bit of a surge when I put in down throttle? It hops up a little when I input down throttle. Thanks everyone.

Practice with the sticks on the controller and in the test mode. Sticks are very sensitive. My son has a habit of putting pressure on a stick while actually trying to do something else. Keith C.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval