Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Yuneec dropped the ball........

You might want to check the locks on your house if you go out for a few hours. Just in case. There used to be a dining room in our house. Now it's a museum of drones and stuff I'm still trying to figure out.

Reactions: WTFDproject
They can be very creative. I know of a VERY large X8 using them to carry itself and a 40lb winged drone. If you need super heavy lift think about a gear drive.

When we get into downsizing, drones and stuff can make this inevitable eventuality difficult. Hm. Drones and stuff? Good name for a store.

They can be very creative. I know of a VERY large X8 using them to carry itself and a 40lb winged drone. If you need super heavy lift think about a gear drive.
I never thought about gear-driven. Good thought. People think I am crazy when I say that I want to build a manned drone but honestly, it shouldn't be that difficult. The main cost would be the motors. 200lbs is a lot of weight to get off the ground. I am thinking of something like a 12-18 prop drone.

Reactions: Mike Irish
Manned drone is an oxymoron. Once you place a human inside it becomes a manned aircraft. It may well be fully automated, as many of our large airliners almost are, but it’s still manned.

Just for goggles, some of the first “manned drones” were employed during WWII, where B-17’s were loaded to maximum capacity, launched using a human pilot, with the pilot bailing out of the aircraft after take off with further control handled by ground stations.

Interesting but you aren't planning any secret missions that no one is aware of are you? [emoji31][emoji2]

What about parrot technology. I assumed that their parts come from China but I couldn't find any info mentioning that. Didn't want to start a thread which might be dumb.

Manned drone is an oxymoron. Once you place a human inside it becomes a manned aircraft. It may well be fully automated, as many of our large airliners almost are, but it’s still manned.

Just for goggles, some of the first “manned drones” were employed during WWII, where B-17’s were loaded to maximum capacity, launched using a human pilot, with the pilot bailing out of the aircraft after take off with further control handled by ground stations.

Actually, 'manned drone' is a term that some use to describe an aerial vehicle that carries a person. The person it carries cannot control the vehicle if so, it then becomes a manned aircraft that would require a pilot's license.
The type of AV I want to build will have the ability to carry a person but would be automated by using GPS way-points. I have a sport pilot license that allows me to fly a single-engine aircraft that doesn't exceed 5000 feet. I can only carry one passenger at a time. Now, I only fly when I need to get my hours in, in order to upkeep my license. It is hard to get a pilot's license for some, due to PTSD or a physical condition that would cause them to fail a pilot's physical. One thing to think about also is that one can fly ultra-light aircraft without a pilot's license. Ulta-light AVs cannot fly above the 2000 ceiling. I want to build a 'manned AV' that can hover and one wouldn't have the need for a pilot's license.

I don't know if the married question was for me but I am married. She gives me the okay on everything, as long as I don't get too crazy. I married a GREAT lady.

And you have a glider rating, of which I’m envious.

It was amusing being taught about the Sport Pilot rating. I was honestly pleased he takes aviation seriously. With that desire he has an opportunity to go far, especially if still in his youth.

I went with my father who managed the local airport hauling gliders and I have always wanted to go up. I will 70 on my next b-day and that's my wish.

While working from Hood River, OR I missed the opportunity to fly a glider. The local airport had a glider tow operation. However, I was able to cross off a bucket list item in flying an open cockpit biplane. The world changes when the enclosure overhead is removed[emoji4]

About 3 years ago I got a ride in a Stearman bipe. Awesome experience. That big radial sound and vibration combined with the open cockpit are not something I will soon forget.

Soaring is cool. It is a bit daunting for power pilots at first once they understand that there is no such thing as a go around. You are one and done when it comes to landing a glider!! But it really tunes your understanding of how things fly. Landings especially where you really understand that pitch controls speed. And there is no feeling on Earth like catching a thermal and riding it up. Don't fly much any more, but those memories will never fade.

I do get some smaller thrill out of RC soaring. Same concepts without the awesome views. And the thrill of catching a thermal on final with a model (not advised in a manned glider) is second to none.

Flying in an open cockpit plane is an awesome experience especially sea planes. I flew a lot of planes in my youth but being in one of those is a different adventure. Because I was around planes (literally almost born in a beechcraft bonanza) I saw, experienced and lived in times that I left behind in 1965. It took me a long time to figure out at such a late date why I was so drawn into this until DUH! Remember where you came from? I also wish I started this years ago. I couldn't have gone into a profession more far removed from aviation than what I became.

True if you live in the UK but I was addressing the US market. If Yuneec is on the way out then the supply of parts and service will certainly dry up there too.
Or the cost of shipping will override the repairs needed so much that it won't be worth it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech