Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Yuneec or DJI

The x7 is hard to beat. I enjoy watching Armadas videos. They remained untainted by DJI, and not sponsored by them, as well as Brandon Li. Who remained top masterclass that are not with DJI.

No doubt that Super35 is sweetness in aerial cameras. It’s just the cost.....the MFT X5S produces images that are so close to the X7....spending nearly $4k for just a camera and 1 lens.....you really have to have the skills to fully exploit the capabilities......like moving from crop sensor to full frame before you’ve outgrown the crop.

Reactions: LinsonW and RPR
No doubt that Super35 is sweetness in aerial cameras. It’s just the cost.....the MFT X5S produces images that are so close to the X7....spending nearly $4k for just a camera and 1 lens.....you really have to have the skills to fully exploit the capabilities......like moving from crop sensor to full frame before you’ve outgrown the crop.

I would love to tap into my creativity again... I feel like a robot shooting construction.. LOL....

Here's my typical workflow in fashion photography.

Yeah, I’ve got a great collection of roofs, damaged shingles, chimney caps, roof vents, broken gable glass, cracked trees, downed fences.......

Shows the amount of work that goes into a finished product. Once you get to the skill level where you can exploit the increased data of the larger sensor.....otherwise it’s wasted money. Those incredible images don’t come out of the camera that way, even capturing with an H6D-100C.

Kudos for not ‘shopping her too much.

So for most application, a 4/3 sensor with good lens is quality enough. I thing H+ have ability to carry a X5 camera which is about 600g.

Reactions: Fred Garvin
The limitation of the TH Plus is the Build/Firmware. When I first bought mine, it came with Build 757. I only have one issue, and that is the ascending symptom, and the workaround was to wait until the satellite connectivity turns green. No biggie, and the ship flew FANTASTICALLY for a couple of months, until they released a new build/firmware 777 (this build got me banned from the forum [emoji23]) Build 777 lasted for 1 month, then the Holy Grail of all builds came out. Build 784.

Build 784 is the most enjoyable build. BUT! I could not fly beyond 1000ft, no biggie, because the hiccups was minimal to none, and I don’t fly over 1000ft for work. and then later, a simple gps module relocation mod. took care of it, enabling the sUAS to fly beyond.

Compass Relocation

The ascending issue came back, with the release of Build 822/829 and the satellites was false peaking. What is worst Yuneec locked members from using the common basic tools IMU, GYRO, and RC mapping. And a new error in mid flight came up, EKF Gyro IMU bias. S M H

I grounded my H Plus for 3wks, coincidentally, one member wrote She's feeling naked now - Removed RS Module

This took care of the ascending problem, but it was giving me an “ultrasonic sensor not working” notification, and the sonars cannot identify an object in front of it. So, I installed the RS back, with a temporary solution of reshielding the RS with copper foil.

My temporary solution, and field report: Reached 1 mile with Build 822

The TH Plus is a great ship, the downfall is Yuneec, because it seems as though they are not consistent, their beta testers are none other than the each individuals in this forum.

What’s worst, instead of improving the TH Plus, because it has not yet matured in the market. Yuneec is willing to drop the TH PLUS, and just opt to making a TH Plus V2.
Great job! I heard Yuneec will continue improving critical issues for current H+ with software upgrade. Even V2 come, will still keep maxmal compatibility with current h+ to reduce user cost.

Great job! I heard Yuneec will continue improving critical issues for current H+ with software upgrade. Even V2 come, will still keep maxmal compatibility with current h+ to reduce user cost.

Now this is getting interesting. If the let’s now formally call it a v2, as it is no longer a rumor.

As you state “maximum” compatibility, do you mean software, hardware or both. If software, there is nothing to see in the v1. What makes v2 special? Hardware?

It would be great if the hardware is swappable, this will keep the current operators satisfied, and will still enjoy our current drone.

Reactions: Fred Garvin
So for most application, a 4/3 sensor with good lens is quality enough. I thing H+ have ability to carry a X5 camera which is about 600g.

For the time being, yes. an MFT camera with interchangeable lenses will do just great. Those needing cinema quality can invest in an X7 Super35 and ProRes/CinemaDNG licenses. A few years from now, as technology advances and bigger sensors become viable, another change will be needed. You see this camera advancement in Professional Photography. I’m not talking about pixel density craziness or mirrorless nonsense....but in the sensors. You had the prosumers buying the crop sensors and the pro’s (and dedicated amateurs) buying full frame. The next step up is Medium Format, an extremely expensive jump that Hasselblad has a stranglehold on. But recently, medium format sensors are dropping in price, enabling cameras like a Hass X1D, Fuji GFS50S, Pentax 645Z....getting into medium format for less than $10k is now possible. You don’t have to spend $32k on a Hasselblad H6D-50C. You see this starting in aerial cameras, with the X7 Super35 now available. In time you won’t see a 1/2.3 sensor anymore except on cheap toys....an MFT will be entry level. (Not considering ultra high end, small market aerial solutions used in Hollywood and big budget operations.....just the Consumer/Prosumer off the shelf solutions)

Yuneec has a fantastic foot in the door with the 920. The CGO4 camera is very close to the X5S in specs, the larger images due to pixel density. (14MP vs 20MP) They’re both MFT cameras with the ability to use Olympus MFT lenses. With some effort and updates, the 920 could be a marketable alternative to an I2/X5S. Where the CGO4 falls short is in the video capability. The X5S absolutely smokes it. Walking away from the 920 is a mistake. That bird could be absolutely fantastic. With a competitive update to the CGO4 (CGO5) and DroneDeploy/Pix4D/Kittyhawk full support of the ST24....Yuneec could start eating into DJI, especially marketing the lack of over-restrictive NFZ’s and a licensed professional pilot’s ability to unlock.....there are ALOT of NFZ frustrated DJI pilots.

Personally I would be upset with Yuneec if they came out with a whole new V2 H+, having recently invested in a product not quite a year old. I would rather see Yuneec listen to customers and improve the existing H+, at least for the next couple years. (Ability to purchase better payloads, software upgrades and 3rd party compatibility to the ST16S)

Reactions: Euphered
One of my work site is 3 miles from the airport, and before acquired my NFZ passcode from Yuneec, my TH Plus will not fly on this field, and any other field, within the NFZ. I work in urban areas, where it’s hard to fly my TH Plus (then)

Once you will get you i2, you will come to realize this. But, I primarily fly with Litchi, GS Pro or DD.

I’ve never had my Mavic Air refuse to fly, but I do get constant nags about airspace that is simply not accurate. I browse the DJI forums and there’s lots of frustrated pilots with inaccurate NFZ’s and complaints of being restricted. I haven’t personally experienced it though, but I don’t fly the platform in controlled airspace like I do the Typhoons. I think that Yuneec’s NFZ implementation is more targeted, accurate, than the “shotgun” approach DJI uses.

Does DJI offer a global unlock like the one we get from Yuneec? Or do you have to call for a temporary each time?

I’ve never had my Mavic Air refuse to fly, but I do get constant nags about airspace that is simply not accurate. I browse the DJI forums and there’s lots of frustrated pilots with inaccurate NFZ’s and complaints of being restricted. I haven’t personally experienced it though, but I don’t fly the platform in controlled airspace like I do the Typhoons. I think that Yuneec’s NFZ implementation is more targeted, accurate, than the “shotgun” approach DJI uses.

That’s a warning that you are operating within the zone, and you check blue dot in agreement that whatever happens you are liable.

I would only request for an unlock, when I fly in Las Vegas.

That’s the problem....I’m not. DFW’s class B is above me, from 3k to 11k......I’m in E700. Last weekend I was out at Eagle Mountain Lake imaging a roof and backyard landscaping....got a Class D nag.....and I’m more than a mile from Carswell (NAS FTW) airspace. It’s no big deal ticking it off though. I’ve read stories though about operators being grounded in non-existent airspace. Of course, that’s just folks complaining on the Net, not my personal experience. You read all kinds of whacky claims on the Net.

For the time being, yes. an MFT camera with interchangeable lenses will do just great. Those needing cinema quality can invest in an X7 Super35 and ProRes/CinemaDNG licenses. A few years from now, as technology advances and bigger sensors become viable, another change will be needed. You see this camera advancement in Professional Photography. I’m not talking about pixel density craziness or mirrorless nonsense....but in the sensors. You had the prosumers buying the crop sensors and the pro’s (and dedicated amateurs) buying full frame. The next step up is Medium Format, an extremely expensive jump that Hasselblad has a stranglehold on. But recently, medium format sensors are dropping in price, enabling cameras like a Hass X1D, Fuji GFS50S, Pentax 645Z....getting into medium format for less than $10k is now possible. You don’t have to spend $32k on a Hasselblad H6D-50C. You see this starting in aerial cameras, with the X7 Super35 now available. In time you won’t see a 1/2.3 sensor anymore except on cheap toys....an MFT will be entry level. (Not considering ultra high end, small market aerial solutions used in Hollywood and big budget operations.....just the Consumer/Prosumer off the shelf solutions)

Yuneec has a fantastic foot in the door with the 920. The CGO4 camera is very close to the X5S in specs, the larger images due to pixel density. (14MP vs 20MP) They’re both MFT cameras with the ability to use Olympus MFT lenses. With some effort and updates, the 920 could be a marketable alternative to an I2/X5S. Where the CGO4 falls short is in the video capability. The X5S absolutely smokes it. Walking away from the 920 is a mistake. That bird could be absolutely fantastic. With a competitive update to the CGO4 (CGO5) and DroneDeploy/Pix4D/Kittyhawk full support of the ST24....Yuneec could start eating into DJI, especially marketing the lack of over-restrictive NFZ’s and a licensed professional pilot’s ability to unlock.....there are ALOT of NFZ frustrated DJI pilots.

Personally I would be upset with Yuneec if they came out with a whole new V2 H+, having recently invested in a product not quite a year old. I would rather see Yuneec listen to customers and improve the existing H+, at least for the next couple years. (Ability to purchase better payloads, software upgrades and 3rd party compatibility to the ST16S)

Agree with you, it's important to keep consistency and reusability with old product for new design.
An MFT camera is definitely the direction of H+. With my understanding, even CGO4 could support 4K video, maybe still not easy to be popular since 920 is a little too big and heavy.

It’s not a brand decision as much as a tool decision. Choose the tool that will fill your needs the best.
I agree PatR, when I was still doing commercial work the Typhoon H was perfect for what I needed, without breaking the bank. When I started shooting for pleasure and going to the places I like to go, mountains, forests, motorcycles, etc, the Typhoon H was just getting to big and the H plus was no better. But I'm not a fanboy of any brand, like them all. If the Mantis had a good camera might have gone that way, but the Mavic 2 Pro fit the bill and takes great video and pictures.

Besides for all the breeze drones I own and have repaired for fun I've been flying more hobby fun types such as multiple bugs 3 to get better at flying with basically no helps before taking the plunge on something more serious. Also own a bugs 3 with altitude hold (actually an eachine ex2h), a bugs 3 pro with altitude/GPS, along with a lot of star wars, star trek collector drones and other misc. units.
I just cant seem to make up my mind which brand/direction I want to go. Theres almost $1600 ready to spend but I'm not feeling passionate enough about any specific one yet. I've never been into photography and have no intention of commercializing it but that doesnt mean I dont care about pic/vid quality. The breeze really does it's best video work in my opinion at 720p 60fps. Of course I want 4k 60fps 100mbps mechanically stabilized video. I've been into home theater for a long time and anything under 1080p bugs me.
I definately prefer the hex design but I dont understand why yuneec doesnt up their game matching flight distances with the DJI products. Where are the intelligent batteries? Who wouldnt like to see some more information such as battery life distance to home?
Guess what I want is an affordable hex with the st16 controller that will have DJI range running DJI software but without all the intrusive DJI flyzone and software nags.
It's not that I think the yuneec software/controller isnt good, I just like the way DJI does it.
That being said full disclosure is I havent actually seen either with my own eyes. I've likely watched hundreds of review videos of all kinds of drones but mostly yuneec and DJI products. Those who actually own both products would have to weigh in on this.

I have 4 DJI. i1, i2, MP, and M2P
Each has their own use, but has flown my Yuneec H Plus more. Deep within I’m a hex fan.
@RPR with your construction flights... or other, any concern for the chatter on the I2's Arm-Motor issues?
It's not advertised like it was previously, but I haven't found any DJI notice indicating a correction applied either. I communicated with a DJI Tech and he indicated it's a good "piece of mind" component that doesn't effect the I2's operation (kinda a warm acceptance). I'm normally not one for hype junk or clutter on the platform... but the Ultimadrone's Rotor Arm kit looks OEM and no clutter or interference. I installed one and as with any other type Insurance, to reduce / transfer of risk... for $180 it provides verified performance and peace of mind. Seems to be a popular add-on with I2 crews.

Last edited:

The CGO4 is based on the GH4 which was a great MFT camera... still have one! Although all MFT, the sensor's performance is improved on the X5S. The GH4 upgrade is the GH5, both MFT but GH5 outperforms the GH4 with improved sensor & electronics: noise, EV, focus speed, focus points, etc.

On the lower cost benefit side, the Inspire 1v2's X5 is pretty equal to the GH4 and the X5Raw is an improvement. The X5S is more on a grade of the GH5 and as mentioned can include the additional circuitry for cinema codecs with activation of the 2 additional pricey licenses. Incidentally the lower cost X5Raw has the same codecs and licenses without the additional high cost... slower to extract media, but very similar.

Don't own a X7... can't justify the cost at the moment. I'm actually hoping to see a new X8 or something that drives the cost of the X7 down... but I do like those 4 carbon lenses too... but very pricey!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430