Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Yuneec Typhoon H with ITELITE DBS upg Dashware Range Test using ST16 data in HD no 3.

Foot by Foot !;)
I went to a pretty remote area yesterday and I got out to 2430' before loosing video. I like the distance but always want more. If I was like some on here only getting out 700' I would be pissed. I think DC is right on be happy with your distance, but when you sell it as a 1 mile bird than it should do 1 frickin mile. A lot of people like to fly FPV in (remote areas). Again I like my distance, but it would be nice to go out the distance that it says it should, especially for the money we all are putting up....

Supposed to get over a mile stock, and not even close to 5,000 feet with it, this is not correct, tested all mods and stock antenna's and in areas of not interference or obstructions !

I have a video of my flight over land out to 5300 ft with stock TH in June. I don't have a clever dashboard or anything, but I have verified the distance with Google Earth. I'm not sure I can put the video on YouTube because of the music used. I could edit it down with different music for YT if you are interested in seeing it.

I have a video of my flight over land out to 5300 ft with stock TH in June. I don't have a clever dashboard or anything, but I have verified the distance with Google Earth. I'm not sure I can put the video on YouTube because of the music used. I could edit it down with different music for YT if you are interested in seeing it.
That's great distance. I think if everyone was getting that out of the TH we would be very happy. I would like to see our video. My 2430 is better than most I've seen on here but 5300' is really good. I'm thinking of getting the DBS to see what it can do.

That's great distance. I think if everyone was getting that out of the TH we would be very happy. I would like to see our video. My 2430 is better than most I've seen on here but 5300' is really good. I'm thinking of getting the DBS to see what it can do.
Did you put the new firmware update on it and if so are you still getting the same range?

Did you put the new firmware update on it and if so are you still getting the same range?

Yes, but I only got 3400 ft at 400 ft elevation with the new firmware. There may have been extenuating circumstances, however, as I added a flat aluminum foil reflector behind the antennas that may be hurting more than helping. I was inspired by Captain Drone's egg crate reflector!

I'll edit up a YT friendly version and post the link here.

Yes, but I only got 3400 ft at 400 ft elevation with the new firmware. There may have been extenuating circumstances, however, as I added a flat aluminum foil reflector behind the antennas that may be hurting more than helping. I was inspired by Captain Drone's egg crate reflector!
So whats the deal? if we were having better reception with no anomalies than what was this firmware for other than a few goodies and pissing people off? I flew mine 3 times before I upgraded to the newest firmware, so I really don't know the difference in distance and weird things happening. All I can go by is it flies good and I'm getting 2200 to 2400 feet out which is nowhere near 1 mile, but a decent distance. Are you aware how many updates they have had since the TH has been out and if you have heard of a new one coming?

I was able to get 3200 feet with the stock antenna on the H. With the DBS I was able to reach 6500 feet, I stopped there. A one time test for signal connection strength, not for distance flying. Testing was prior to 107, no people, no traffic, no buildings. Stay within LOS. No need for long distance.

The key thing to remember with the DBS is they are directional. Make sure you are facing your craft or you may lose your signal.

Can anyone comment on whether this antenna would work properly with the pro version of the ST16? I have three antennas, assuming two 2ghz and one 5ghz. This appears to only have two leads, so I'd be losing one. Not to mention that it might get in the way of one of the connection points...
The new antenna is for telemetry. They moved it out of the handle. Their have been mixed opinions on whether it improved the signal or not. My guess would be to put the dbs on the control and the telemetry as most reports indicate the video stays connected much longer than the other two. I would try it on a few short distance flights first to see how it is handling.

Awesome video man and what a great place to fly as well. Mine isn't that clear cause I'm always flying in auto mode with the color and picture always going in and out. Is there any pointers you can give me to get a decent manual picture and I don't have any filters.

Awesome video man and what a great place to fly as well. Mine isn't that clear cause I'm always flying in auto mode with the color and picture always going in and out. Is there any pointers you can give me to get a decent manual picture and I don't have any filters.

OK, you asked for it:
First, I always set the camera mode to Natural. It gives the best looking image without a lot of fiddling in post processing.
Second, Lock the white balance. I use a foldable pure white box lid, the kind you get at Christmas for clothing. Hold the white side facing the camera with as much light on it as you can get. You want it to fill the field of view as much as possible. Angle it upwards and try to avoid the shadows from the TH motor arms. Hold it there for a few seconds so the camera can adjust. Then, with WB selected on screen, press Lock. Alternatively, get the drone in the air and point the camera at a well lit area that has a variety of colors, or the area you are most concerned about and then press Lock. Unless the sky is your primary target of interest, angle the camera down a bit so just a bit of sky is showing. This will also reduce the chances of getting the motor pods in the shot. The camera defaults to splitting the scene in half with the horizon.
Third, select the +/- exposure button on screen. I do this while the drone is in the air with the camera facing the view that's important to you (not 50% sky). Press the Auto button at the top of the screen; it will switch to M for manual. Now set the shutter speed to 60 if shooting at 30 fps or 120 if shooting at 60 fps. Now adjust the ISO so that the image on the screen is properly lit. If you can't get there, increase the shutter speed. This is where neutral density filters come in handy. They let you keep the shutter speed reasonable in bright situations. Beware, in low light situations, you want the lowest ISO possible, to avoid excessive graininess.
Forth, don't forget to raise the landing gear so you can make use of that marvelous 360-deg camera. Go shoot some beautiful aerial video.

Reactions: Joe22
OK, you asked for it:
First, I always set the camera mode to Natural. It gives the best looking image without a lot of fiddling in post processing.
Second, Lock the white balance. I use a foldable pure white box lid, the kind you get at Christmas for clothing. Hold the white side facing the camera with as much light on it as you can get. You want it to fill the field of view as much as possible. Angle it upwards and try to avoid the shadows from the TH motor arms. Hold it there for a few seconds so the camera can adjust. Then, with WB selected on screen, press Lock. Alternatively, get the drone in the air and point the camera at a well lit area that has a variety of colors, or the area you are most concerned about and then press Lock. Unless the sky is your primary target of interest, angle the camera down a bit so just a bit of sky is showing. This will also reduce the chances of getting the motor pods in the shot. The camera defaults to splitting the scene in half with the horizon.
Third, select the +/- exposure button on screen. I do this while the drone is in the air with the camera facing the view that's important to you (not 50% sky). Press the Auto button at the top of the screen; it will switch to M for manual. Now set the shutter speed to 60 if shooting at 30 fps or 120 if shooting at 60 fps. Now adjust the ISO so that the image on the screen is properly lit. If you can't get there, increase the shutter speed. This is where neutral density filters come in handy. They let you keep the shutter speed reasonable in bright situations. Beware, in low light situations, you want the lowest ISO possible, to avoid excessive graininess.
Forth, don't forget to raise the landing gear so you can make use of that marvelous 360-deg camera. Go shoot some beautiful aerial video.
Awesome man thanks for the info sir....

Somebody said that a 3 lead version was being developed, so I'd wait or contact the manufacturer to check.
The three lead version is the ST-16+. This is the one that the telemetry antenna was moved from the handle to a new third external antenna. I have been told by yuneec that there is no upgrade option, you would have to buy a new ST-16+. There is a kit shown on YT that shows this kit and installation, however, if you put one on your would void your warranty. You would have to decide if your wanted to install it now or wait for the warranty to expire.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trienchieu369