Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Yuneec's H520 - The long road from announcement to release

R

Rayray

The H520, first announced at CES in January to great anticipation, was originally slated for delivery in the 2nd quarter of 2017.

I made a private post on January 7 about this, at the time thinking it would be the "Typhoon" H520.
My 2nd private post about the 520 was April 25. I said it is "close to release now". April gone, then May, and finally June came and went with no 520.

Now it is released and 520s are flying on their way to assist commercial enterprises worldwide.

Why so late?
Here is a partial explanation. Months ago, Douglas Spotted Eagle, an American with impressive credentials, joined Yuneec as the Director of Commercial Sales and Development. Douglas and his American team took the H520 and have been working literally 24/7 to make certain the H520 will meet the high expectations promised. From Owners Manual to hardware and software, followed by field trials under rigorous conditions, they have dotted the i's and crossed the t's.

This Yuneec (and rightly unique) team are forum members, as are others within Yuneec. They have integrated customer likes and dislikes into their product development of this commercial unit.

Let's be patient, let them do their job, and wish them well. The H520 is a game changer.

I'm game. Better to have it done right them misfortunes. I really think the H will take bigger share of the market. :D

Both the opportunity and potential are there to do so. The sooner they recognize the payload is the only reason for the rest of the system, the better. The data gathering and mission planning stuff is useless without image quality reference. Systems with superb mission planning and flight execution qualities have been run out of country when it was found the cameras failed to deliver images of sufficient quality.

The H520, first announced at CES in January to great anticipation, was originally slated for delivery in the 2nd quarter of 2017.

I made a private post on January 7 about this, at the time thinking it would be the "Typhoon" H520.
My 2nd private post about the 520 was April 25. I said it is "close to release now". April gone, then May, and finally June came and went with no 520.

Now it is released and 520s are flying on their way to assist commercial enterprises worldwide.

Why so late?
Here is a partial explanation. Months ago, Douglas Spotted Eagle, an American with impressive credentials, joined Yuneec as the Director of Commercial Sales and Development. Douglas and his American team took the H520 and have been working literally 24/7 to make certain the H520 will meet the high expectations promised. From Owners Manual to hardware and software, followed by field trials under rigorous conditions, they have dotted the i's and crossed the t's.

This Yuneec (and rightly unique) team are forum members, as are others within Yuneec. They have integrated customer likes and dislikes into their product development of this commercial unit.

Let's be patient, let them do their job, and wish them well. The H520 is a game changer.

It is clear that they have worked tirelessly. It must be borne in mind that it is despite being a tried and tested system they have had to adapt it to a new aircraft and that takes time, I can attest to that since I am in it right now with a multirotor and an airplane or better said a VTOL. In a system with so many options the GUI is no joke either.

The chosen system, for those of you who do not know the platform on which it rests, is without a doubt the best thing that currently exists for power and versatility (I always give my opinion, please don't let anyone be offended). Since I found out that it was based on PX4 everything has been happy and if we take into account that the whole set is intended as a commercial system the work becomes harder because they can not have any recording errors. It will be polished over time and will be spectacular because they have good support behind to achieve it.

Anyway we are in the 2nd quarter of 2017. They're about the announced program. We all want it now, good, beautiful and cheap but patience is the mother of science........

I'm game. Better to have it done right them misfortunes. I really think the H will take bigger share of the market. :D

The H *does* have the bigger/larger share of the consumer market. The H is an entirely different beast from the 520, and the 520 for enterprise use was designed to be a different animal.
It's unlikely the two will ever be in the same shelf or user space.
Think of an F150 truck vs F350XLT. Different user, different price space, different features, but same company and both have four wheels and an engine.

I think users will love what we've done with the E90 camera.

Sorry, but this is sounding so much like the delays and tales told with the H release. With contracts coming up that require good resolution at long stand off distances I can't be hoping for something to someday make it's way to market. There's either a functional E90 right now or there isn't and the lack of imagery is conspicuous in its absence. If the E90 exists in functional form I would think there are enough of you guys with one to present imagery instead of descriptive text. Pictures speak louder than words and having images and video to review would either justify a continued wait or provide cause to make a different selection. This is exactly why I didn't pre-order a 520.

Last edited:
I am a professional of the image, I will not buy a 520 to be able to mount an E90, I wait that it is adatable on the H480, if it is not possible I will change builder. At the beginning of 2017, we were told that the new camera will be able to equip the h480, I wait but not too long.

Reactions: Gurusonwheels
I am a professional of the image, I will not buy a 520 to be able to mount an E90, I wait that it is adatable on the H480, if it is not possible I will change builder. At the beginning of 2017, we were told that the new camera will be able to equip the h480, I wait but not too long.

If you are a professional, you will recognise that the flight platforms today are improved over the flight platforms from two years ago - which is when the H480 was launched. There will be a point where you have to upgrade, whichever manufacturer you go for - and some have a more aggressive upgrade schedule than others.

I'd strongly recommend looking at what each package offers, and testing the machines that are now available - and making your decision then.

Interesting article and some curious thing.

I don't think it was confirmed that we could do a resume of the flight manually and not only in case the battery runs out executing a mission. I still don't know if it calculates it previously or does it hot but if we can do it manually is very interesting.

And what has been a failure of the article's writer,"With a flight endurance of 28 minutes in winds over 35 mph". We would like all of us that in winds over 35mph the duration would be 28 minutes......... :D:D:D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval