Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

1st time drone owner from PA- Typhoon Q500/4K

Reaction score
First, I know little to really nothing at all about drones other than I always wanted to own one to take videos while outside doing activities- 4 wheeling, boating, fishing, etc.
When a friend mentioned his son wanted to sell his almost brand new Typhoon for $400, I figured this was as good of time as any.
I am eagerly awaiting the outside temps to reach a tolerable degree so I can go outside to try it out. I have read the owners manual several times and watched several tutorial videos.
I do see something in here about simulation training. Where would I find this? This sounds like the obvious first step, especially with freezing rain coming out of the sky today.

My main use will be utilizing follow me mode from our boat while we are performing watersports.
I am extremely concerned in doing so and trying to bring the Q500 back to the boat, and not into the lake.

Can't wait to read and learn A LOT during these long, cold winter days. I have already done my first 'mod' in the Home Depot 25 gallon Husky travel box. What a great find!

Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Yuneec Pilots forum. I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Yuneec quadcopters.
Enjoy!
*User Manuals: Support Downloads

Hi Eric, I'm new here too.
You will need to get one of these...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B1X9PD2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And then download and install the simulator software from the Yuneec website here
Shopping

You also have to bind the simulator to the controller, really simple to do once you have read or watch a video.
It is pretty realistic and will help you get use to the controls.
A couple of things I picked up reading here is to take the camera off the drone till your reasonably sure your not going to run it aground, and get use to flying it.

If you decide to take off in Smart mode, which I would as most all do, recommend starting in angle mode, but in smart mode, if you are not far enough away from the drone on take off it is said to be like playing Russian roulette not knowing which way it will go to get away from the controller.

Good luck... it's addicting..

Last edited:
Reactions: EricH
This may be an odd question, but do most people use the camera to fly the drone?
I know it says not to because if the slight delay.
But I was planning on using the camera in 1st person view to fly the drone up through our field and around the corner to my parents place to survey the area when they are away.
It will be out of sight and probably up to .5 mile away. Or am I asking too much?

This may be an odd question, but do most people use the camera to fly the drone?
I know it says not to because if the slight delay.
But I was planning on using the camera in 1st person view to fly the drone up through our field and around the corner to my parents place to survey the area when they are away.
It will be out of sight and probably up to .5 mile away. Or am I asking too much?
The video feed is line of sight. If you get behind a building or a lot of trees the signal will be lost. You will have much to learn before flying using the camera because you have to know how to fly it to bring it home if the video signal fails. 2500' is a long way to fly any copter. You will not be able to see it at that distance. The $400 price is excellent and well worth the purchase. You just need to start with realistic expectations if you plan to keep it airworthy.
If you purchase the simulator you will need to download the software from Yuneec which is free.

Reactions: EricH

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wiebeedigital