Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

3D Printed Propellers

Reaction score
High All:
I am getting into 3D printing and am curious if anyone has tried out 3D printer propellers. I have found battery holders for my Q500 4K but am looking for STL files for the gimbal guard & propellers.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Q500 Battery Adaptor.jpg
    Q500 Battery Adaptor.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 27
Actually I did but not with the Typhoon H. I 3D printed the propeller for a 80mm ducted fan. It is supposed to run with 6S LiPo but since I didn't had any available (and was scared of trying haha), I tested only with 4S.

I printed the propeller from ABS and smoothed it using Aceton. Before smoothing I prebalanced the propeller. After smoothing I put a little more effort into balancing and did as good as I possible could. Unfortunatly these ducted fans have to undergo dynamic as well as static balancing. Since dynamic balancing needs special machinery I wasn't able to do it.

Nevertheless the propeller does work and has a huge amount of thrust. At full throttle it draws about 40A which results in about 600W. It did not fail during a two minute test run and there were no mayor vibrations. Still there was an incredibly loud, high pitched noise, which was supposedly caused by the shape of the trailing edge.

Although it worked quiet good, I would not dare to use it. At least not with any expensive equipment like a Typhoon H.

Reactions: AlgebraMan
I can see a future.

If the correct materials and techniques are used, why not?

Looking forward to developments in this and many other areas. Who knows, maybe some day a crash recovering consists of salvaging whatever electronics, motors, et al as possible, replacing what’s not, and printing whatever structural components need replacing.

Jeff

• Wow
Reactions: AlgebraMan
High All:
I am getting into 3D printing and am curious if anyone has tried out 3D printer propellers. I have found battery holders for my Q500 4K but am looking for STL files for the gimbal guard & propellers.

Thanks.
I actually did a remix of that print. It uses less material and can print with a lot less supports.

Here's a link: Yuneec Q500 BAttery Adaptor Remix by vic10us

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
simsone