Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

4k or 1080p?

Reaction score
hi, I've been recording in 4k...but is it worth it? I don't even have a way of viewing 4k, my laptop is quite good, but is 1080p, tv too!
and, Most probably most other people don't have 4k pc's or tv's...so should I stick to good old 1080p?
If so, what is the recommended frame rate? 120fps seems excessive as I'm not really needing slowmo at the moment...
thanks guys!

Reactions: yuneec53
hi, I've been recording in 4k...but is it worth it? I don't even have a way of viewing 4k, my laptop is quite good, but is 1080p, tv too!
and, Most probably most other people don't have 4k pc's or tv's...so should I stick to good old 1080p?
If so, what is the recommended frame rate? 120fps seems excessive as I'm not really needing slowmo at the moment...
thanks guys!

Hi John - Yes, I have the same problem. 4K is a great idea but where are you going to watch it unless you have a UHD tv. I always use 1080 at 60fps, then you can watch it on just about anything.

Reactions: John S
Hi John - Yes, I have the same problem. 4K is a great idea but where are you going to watch it unless you have a UHD tv. I always use 1080 at 60fps, then you can watch it on just about anything.
cool, thought so...going to try that next time a fly..
Thanks!

You can always downscale to hd from 4K and having a copy in 4K is a future proof. However depends on your footage, if it's something you want to keep like a family video than 4K.

You can always downscale to hd from 4K and having a copy in 4K is a future proof. However depends on your footage, if it's something you want to keep like a family video than 4K.
Now that sounds sensible!! Might just do that then! Cheers dude!

60fps makes video silky smooth - it really makes a difference and YouTube supports it for most viewers, whereas not many people at all can watch 4K video. 4K at 30fps is a poor compromise - lots of detail, but 'unsmooth' movement.

By the time 4K viewing is common, it'll probably be at 60fps too, so your "saved for later" footage will still look outdated.

The general rule is ALWAYS, shoot in the highest resolution you possibly can and scale in post. Period. You asked what was BEST. That IS the answer.

Just been down to PC World and tried all of the Tablets. The Samsung Galaxy TAB S2 will play everything 1080/60 - 1080/120 - 4K/24 and 4K/25.

Last edited:
It is nice to film in 4K but takes forever to up load to YouTube. Can you put your microSD cards in the Galaxy Tablet?

60fps makes video silky smooth - it really makes a difference and YouTube supports it for most viewers, whereas not many people at all can watch 4K video. 4K at 30fps is a poor compromise - lots of detail, but 'unsmooth' movement.

By the time 4K viewing is common, it'll probably be at 60fps too, so your "saved for later" footage will still look outdated.

Nonsense. I don't filming for YouTube...
I did mention depends on the footage, use a common sense. If it is close up shot with fast moving object across the frame than yes use higher rate format but other than that like static or panoramic view 4K period.

By the time 4K becomes as common as hd we are all will be filming in 8k

Reactions: WilsonFlyer
Hummmmm.

Funny the term "film" is still used even in an otherwise technical discussion of capturing still and video in a digital format.

Why dumb down your original until you have to? More data less loss.

My iMac 5k displays it beautifully and looks good on my Sharp brand, 60" UHD.
Vimeo will up load full 4K.
Guess it depends on if you want to sacrifice personal viewing quality for sharing on the Internet for free on Utube.

Time to upgrade if you cannot view the highest quality and complain about viewing the lesser format.

It is nice to film in 4K but takes forever to up load to YouTube. Can you put your microSD cards in the Galaxy Tablet?

Yes, The mini SD card fits in a little carrier and straight into the side of the S2. The Tablet immediately 'sees' the video and you can play it in just seconds, very quick. I think the S2 is the most expensive Tablet they do but the display is excellent.

I will for the most part do 4K highest resolution I can get. Reason being I also like to zoom in on footage and take stills from my videos. Using 4K gives me the best results for this. If uploading to youtube I will downgrade to 1080 in post as youtube sucks anyways so why waist your time sending 4K.

Thanks, can you post from it?i have an iPad and iPhone and can't .

I shoot 1080p for now (no 4K display to make it worth it)...but I've been shooting in 30 fps because I thought the image quality is supposed to be better than 60fps.... am I mistaken?

I shoot in 4K DCI at at 24fps. give it a more cinematic feel
aka thats why its called DCI

Nonsense. I don't filming for YouTube...
I did mention depends on the footage, use a common sense. If it is close up shot with fast moving object across the frame than yes use higher rate format but other than that like static or panoramic view 4K period.

By the time 4K becomes as common as hd we are all will be filming in 8k

I appreciate this a personal preference thing :) It really jars for me when you have a beautiful scene, then the camera starts moving and it clunks across the screen in big steps. It doesn't need fast movement, just a smooth pan is enough to break all the illusion of detail - and for a flying camera, movement is key.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval