Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

4S cell at 14.8 volts

Reaction score
I have been looking at batteries and trying to wrap my head around the electronics of it. I want to build a li-ion batyery pack. From what i have seen the Q stops flying at just over 10 volts. Looking at battery test online i have seen that if batterys are in the typical 3S setup each cell would get to 3.2 volts and still have many mAh of energy left. So in my figuring if one was to use a 4S pack it would allow each cell to go down to a lower voltage yet maintain flight. As for at the start of the flight I would say add a resistor to the battery to limit the excess voltage.

so i may be completely wrong on my infant knowledge of batterys and electronic circuits so please let me know of and where i am

I don't know if the Q can use L-ion, as they come with Li-POs. I'm guessing a Li-ion would burn faster, or else they'd have used them.

Here's a simple enough explanation of series vs parallel battery wiring:

I don't know if the Q can use L-ion, as they come with Li-POs. I'm guessing a Li-ion would burn faster, or else they'd have used them.

Here's a simple enough explanation of series vs parallel battery wiring:

I understand series vs parrallel. I am fairly certain that li-ion can supply enough current. i just want to know if using a 4s setup would fry the Q electronics

If they put out more power than the Q can handle, then yes, expect to smell that familiar scent of electrical fire and melting chips.

I suspect this would not be a happy ending. Lipo's can deliver high amps in short bursts to supply the needed power for climbing or wind gusts. If it was practical to use Li-ion batts it would be offered universally. Even the little toy quads use Lipo's at 100 mAh.
In addition, you should be landing at about 10.7 volts. The voltage level will drop very quickly when the battery is depleted to that level. It's an interesting concept that has been discussed elsewhere.
Why drones use Li-Po instead of Li-Ion?

Reactions: scottk713

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech