Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

5 rotor mode tested

Reaction score
I accidentally tested 5 rotor mode and it works really well.
I was anxious to get in a test flight before the storm and forgot that I had removed one of the props. Never even noticed it until she was in the air. She lifted off a bit wobbly but then leveled out and flew OK. I immediately got the vibrations and 5 rotor mode warning. It was easy enough to control the bird and get her safely back on the ground.

Reactions: Brian Mackey
I have thought about doing this on purpose, just to get a feel for things if a motor does go out.

I ran mine into a stage light early on. Tore up one of the props quite badly. It remained stable enough to get a clean shot of the stage and safely fly back. I lost an ESC on an X8 once. Because it was an 8 I didn't know there was a motor out until it got back close enough to see one wasn't spinning. Had either been a quad it would have been over and not at all flyable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This is a really big thing for some commercial operations. Redundancy is extremely important. There's just no way that a quad can manage to stay airborne with a motor failure, so the fact the H can is excellent.

I accidentally tested 5 rotor mode and it works really well.
I was anxious to get in a test flight before the storm and forgot that I had removed one of the props. Never even noticed it until she was in the air. She lifted off a bit wobbly but then leveled out and flew OK. I immediately got the vibrations and 5 rotor mode warning. It was easy enough to control the bird and get her safely back on the ground.
Hey thanks for doing that "field test" for the rest of us, dude. ;)

That is the reason I upgraded to the H from the Q500. My friend and I both bought our Q500's a couple of years ago when they first came out. We both have been flying them without any problems what so ever and the thought of losing a motor really never crossed our minds. Until one early morning on a camping trip he took his Q500 out to fly. I was a very dewy morning. I don't know if it had anything to do with it but some people seem to thing it did. After lifting off and at about 60 Ft alt he had a motor failure. The Q500 came crashing down in about 2 seconds. Luckily the the place was empty and nobody was around. All I thought was what would could have happened if it would have hit somebody. After that, the thought was always in the back of my mind. When I seen the H on Yuneecs website with the 6 motors and then reading that it was designed to fly on 5 in the event of a failure I bought it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval