Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

A Scary Flight after installing Remote ID Module

My H hates my travel trailer,,,and aluminum extension ladders and the fence around the garden.Took me a while to get this allfigured out!John at Y Skins helped me out with destroyed camera and I replaced 1 arm myself. Now I fly in open areas,even had 2 acres of timber cut for flight tests etc.Yuneec skins comments were right on the money. No way would I fly anywhere near all those carports and MH's. Peace,KC

I have a theory that may explain the behavior of the drone.
The latency between 2.4GHz RC and 5.8GHz WiFi is somewhere between 0.16s and 0.2s which is a lot when you control an aircraft. Normally it is no problem. But due to Dual band redundancy feature the drone switches to control via WiFi when the 2.4GHz connection is lost for a while. If it switches forth and back you will suffer from feel erratic flight behavior due to latency. And exactly this is happen.

View attachment 30473
From 20240412 16:40:19 on there are gaps in the 2.4GHz telemetry. Around 1min later you decide to switch off the GPS support and bring it down (red cursor). After that there are still fall-backs to WiFi which makes it hard to control the a/c, even harder when GPS is off.

Maybe there are interferences between RID and 2.4GHz RC control connection or a bad mouning place of RID module or ... I don't know.

Questions:
Is the RID module somehow connected to the drone? Power supply for example? If so a ferrite core at the wiring may help.
Do you have a 3-antenna ST16 or a 2-antenna RC? If 3-antenna RC how the 2 rod antennas are directed? Parallel or 90° to each other (should be 90°)?
Do you point the rod antennas to the drone (never do this)?

Remark: ST16 time changed 1 hour midflight because ST16 tokk time from GPS now.
So, if the RID is connected to the drone, it can cause issues? Are you suggesting wrapping the wires that connect to the FC around a ferrite core?

Watched your Video... Great Save !!
Not sure how you pulled that off coming in at an Angle for an Emergency Landing...
This happened again only at the park. About 2 mins in and I lose GPS for a minute or two. I crash landed it again with luck although not going as fast as before. Im too scared to fly it now. IDK what to do. Do I need a new flight board? Is there malware on the st16? Do I reinstall firmware? or hang it up in the closet?

I keep trying to upload the files but it wont let Me. It stays at )% A couple days agoI got it to 3%. Ill keep trying

My first flight after putting the Holy Stone RID module. It flew fine for about 2 minutes then it wasnt going where I pointed it to and almost crashed into my neighbors house so I let go of the sticks to let it hover and it started flying backwards by itself. I had to fight it to get it back and because i couldnt let go of the sticks I had to hard land it at speed. With my Cat-like reflexes I kept it from crashing . Ok I just got lucky. I dont know if the RID was blocking my GPS cause it wasnt gonna hover. Then a look at the Flight Log That says I flew to the middle of Africa and back to California. IDK what happened. Im a little shook up so Im gonna rest and then figure out how to upload my flight logs to see if anyone can make heads or tails of it

I've been there....everything is fine until it isnt and you have no idea whether its going to fly away or just drop out of the sky! Great save! Altitude and shut off gps is what I do. Just hit calibrate, and gps off. Something you might wanna practice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
appslurehina