Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

About to be a yuneecer ( not even know it makes any sense)

that is complete . Thank you a lot...really.

So why they do not specify it , labeling the battery with LiHV ? P... could stay for potatoes as i know .....
jokes apart ... that is a serius issue because if i charge th 4p yuneec battery as a regular lipo battery i'm actually losing flying time .... isn't the right ?

Correct, it is the nominal load, instead of storing 4.2v per cell, the LiHV are 4.35v per cell. What we really need to look at is the load per cell, but we have done wrong (for simplicity of information) give the load in %.

For the record, 3.7v is the recommended charge not to exceed when you're discharging the battery. You can quietly go down to 3.5v per cell and nothing happens and when that voltage drops is when the H520 undertakes the RTL, activates the failsafe of the battery and this for now can not be modified. I have already lowered many times the batteries to 3.3v and there is no problem, the only problem would come if they go down from 3v, then you have run out of battery and you have to buy another one, you ruin it.

The nominal voltage 3.7v or 3.85v is usually taken at the midpoint of the payload and serves as a reference for making a storage load. Only loaders that support LiHV are able to do this. It is the same as a normal LIPO but change those two parameters, 3.85v and 4.35v per cell, the rest is exactly the same and you have to take the same precautions and considerations.

LiHV batteries can also be charged with a normal LIPO charger and when the charger cuts off the charge, finish charging them with the original Yuneec charger if you do not have a LiHV charger. That's how I do it and without any problem, they are already balanced.

Keep in mind that what is known as fast charging is to charge the battery up to 80% of its capacity, directly charging each cell. When it reaches 80% of its capacity begins the process of balancing the cells which is really the one that takes more time. That's why making fast loads a few times is not bad, but it is mandatory to make a balancing of cells every 3 or 4 fast loads. This is because you have to preserve the life of each cell and do not load or unload some cells faster than others.

Charging at 1C does not always mean charging in 1 hour, there are more factors to be taken into account, but more or less you could say that in general you can think that.

Yes Max_IT, H520 batteries are LiHV.
Do you know if the DY5 is LiHV compatible?

I was reading the H520 FAQ here https://www.yuneec.com/en_US/commercial/drones/h520/faq.html, and in the "How to take care of my batteries?" section, they talk abot HV lipo batteries .
At this point is 100% sure the h520 batteries are LiHV Battery ....please Agree ?
should i charge my batteries inside my bbq ? :oops:
I agree. I would not be getting the voltage that I am if they weren't. Same on my aftermarket batteries.

On the label of the H520 batteries it says that the voltage is 17.4v. It is what indicates that being a Lipo type is a LiHV.

In this link you can see the specifications of the DY5. The truth is that it is a little painful as they indicate it but....

In the Spanish version of this page I passed you speaks of a storage load of 3.85v per cell, in the English version does not say so. It also says that the output of the charger is 17.4v (?????????????????????) something that has neither head nor feet, the total charge of the battery would be 17.4v but the output of the charger................ For wanting to simplify things or whoever writes this has no idea what he is talking about, they say this kind of barbarity :confused: . To leave no doubt, the batteries of the H520 are LiHV.

I'm sorry to say what I'm going to say next, but that's the way it is, I would never recommend anyone to buy a DY5 charger. Why? Because it can be only used to charge this type of battery. The best thing is to buy a standard charger with LiHV capacities and some adapter cables. In case you buy another drone tomorrow or want to use another type of batteries you will only need the adapter cables, in no case you will have to buy another charger.

On the label of the H520 batteries it says that the voltage is 17.4v. It is what indicates that being a Lipo type is a LiHV.

In this link you can see the specifications of the DY5. The truth is that it is a little painful as they indicate it but....

In the Spanish version of this page I passed you speaks of a storage load of 3.85v per cell, in the English version does not say so. It also says that the output of the charger is 17.4v (?????????????????????) something that has neither head nor feet, the total charge of the battery would be 17.4v but the output of the charger................ For wanting to simplify things or whoever writes this has no idea what he is talking about, they say this kind of barbarity :confused: . To leave no doubt, the batteries of the H520 are LiHV.

I'm sorry to say what I'm going to say next, but that's the way it is, I would never recommend anyone to buy a DY5 charger. Why? Because it can be only used to charge this type of battery. The best thing is to buy a standard charger with LiHV capacities and some adapter cables. In case you buy another drone tomorrow or want to use another type of batteries you will only need the adapter cables, in no case you will have to buy another charger.
...Glad i've just bought the skyrc one ;) with some adapters ... the price of the charger is the same but i pay 20 more bucks for each adapter... who cares .... and it has LiHV function too beside the 2 more charging ports .

i'm waiting to get my drone .... hopefuly before christmas ... xmas to me :) ..... i have print the manual too and start reading it , so pretty soon i'll ask some more question .

Thanks t oall of you ... you have been the BEST .. seriously ... THE BEST !

I agree. Sadly, the adapter cables haven't been available in the US for many months.
i know .... it has been kind of hard to find them here too ..... i didn't even know if yuneec have had ever made those adapters...till i find a seller here in italy.... and uses a yuneec code name "YUH52CBL01 "

@Max_IT,

Thank you for the kudos to our membership as we all appreciate them.

Congratulations to you for joining and using the forum “before” getting your H520, and inquiring about many different topics so you are better prepared once you get your aircraft.

I’ll place wagers that you will be an asset to our community and share your experiences and knowledge as you grow in it.

What I noticed, on several occasions, is that the DY5 stops the charge when all the cells are full, arrived at their max therefore balanced. Not like some chargers, when they feel that the voltage is full. Ditto for the discharge mode.

@Max_IT,

Thank you for the kudos to our membership as we all appreciate them.

Congratulations to you for joining and using the forum “before” getting your H520, and inquiring about many different topics so you are better prepared once you get your aircraft.

I’ll place wagers that you will be an asset to our community and share your experiences and knowledge as you grow in it.
you earn it .
I was kind afraid at the begging because i couldnt find much about this drone .... at least in italian ( yet not sure if there is any differences between an "european" drone and a US one ,beside the fcc regulation ) , and i knew i had to find it overseas .... Then i found you :)

I will , for sure , keep asking questions ... I totally agree with @DoomMeister signature ;).

What I noticed, on several occasions, is that the DY5 stops the charge when all the cells are full, arrived at their max therefore balanced. Not like some chargers, when they feel that the voltage is full. Ditto for the discharge mode.
Should i use a voltmeter to check each cell after charging the battery ( i'll use the skyrc battery charger ) just in case ... or ... i bought this :

1576660399464.png

Using your SkyRC charger should be fine to check Voltage and IR at start of charge/storage and at completion. I track my batteries by their Serial Number and use the iOS app LiPo Watch. For Android you can try Battery Manager - Manage your RC model batteries - Apps on Google Play.

Tracking the charge times and IR of the cells gives the best indication of battery health.

Using your SkyRC charger should be fine to check Voltage and IR at start of charge/storage and at completion. I track my batteries by their Serial Number and use the iOS app LiPo Watch. For Android you can try Battery Manager - Manage your RC model batteries - Apps on Google Play.

Tracking the charge times and IR of the cells gives the best indication of battery health.
the Skyrc has an app too ..it connects to the phone via bluetooth and i think can generate qr code to apply on the battery side and scan it to know its history... i can use the pc too with a dedicated program ( it will give more details) ... i have just to understand if the charger has a memory that can be uploaded each time i connect it to the pc .

what i get, talking about these kind of batteries, is it's not as charging a regular 1.5v lithium battery and i just realizing that ... like i said should i charge these batteries inside my bbq ....
1576676559736.png
I live in a apartment and beside the balcony i have no outside ( safe place ) where to chrage the lipos. i can buy some concrete blocks and use it as a safty place but it will look really bad . will regular safty bag be enought ?
Can i charge each battery inside its safty bag or heat is going to be a problem ? i'm thinking to buy some temp sensor to plug into my charger .

i'll take alook at that app too anyways .. thanks

Last edited:
I've always carried them on the table but you're right, those security measures that can prevent you from burning your house are never too much. The important thing is to have a CO2 extinguisher, remember that it is a chemical fire. A multipurpose fire extinguisher ABC the only thing you can get, apart from putting everything full of ****, is to spoil the electronics that you may have nearby.

Always try to be close when loading, never leave them unattended. Never leave them fully charged for more than 3 days. That's what the storage function is for. Store them in a dry and cool place. Complying with these simple rules of use, you extend the life of the batteries a lot.

the Skyrc has an app too ..it connects to the phone via bluetooth and i think can generate qr code to apply on the battery side and scan it to know its history... i can use the pc too with a dedicated program ( it will give more details) ... i have just to understand if the charger has a memory that can be uploaded each time i connect it to the pc .

what i get, talking about these kind of batteries, is it's not as charging a regular 1.5v lithium battery and i just realizing that ... like i said should i charge these batteries inside my bbq ....
View attachment 19412
I live in a apartment and beside the balcony i have no outside ( safe place ) where to chrage the lipos. i can buy some concrete blocks and use it as a safty place but it will look really bad . will regular safty bag be enought ?
Can i charge each battery inside its safty bag or heat is going to be a problem ? i'm thinking to buy some temp sensor to plug into my charger .

i'll take alook at that app too anyways .. thanks
I used that same Weber grill for 20 years until the legs wore out on it. I still use it to keep kindling dry, but you have shown a new and novel repurposing. :cool:

Reactions: Max_IT

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hodgepodge