Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Accelerometer Calibration

Reaction score
Hi,
the videos about accelerometer calibration can be done inside (House) and the amount of GPSs is not important?
And what about compass calibration?

Compass calibration must be done outside away from sources of electromagnetic
interference... power lines, cell towers, your own cell phone, etc. Even though it is
not specifically noted in the tutorial below, I agree with the concept that removing
the camera is beneficial... both from the perspective of minimizing damage to the
gimbal motors, as well as making the entire process of spinning the craft around
easier to accomplish smoothly and quickly... keys to a successful compass calibration.

Accelerometer calibration can be done anywhere there is a flat and level surface. Don't get into the weeds with defining level. Your kitchen table or living room floor is close enough. It just has to sit still on a level surface long enough for the cal cycle to complete. GPS does not play any part in the accelerometer calibration.

I had see many video about accelerometer calibration, all are made in static mode using a flat surface. But in the new yuneec manual release 1.2 page 22 they say: Keep the aircraft hovering during the calibration process, so they say to make the procedure in dinamic mode, on fly. I tried until the led became green on fly, but then I have to landing manually not as described in the manual and the drone doesen't restart itself.

What do You think about it?

Do not even think about calibrating anything while the aircraft is in flight. All calibrations must be done on the ground.

Accelerometer calibration can be done anywhere there is a flat and level surface. Don't get into the weeds with defining level. Your kitchen table or living room floor is close enough. It just has to sit still on a level surface long enough for the cal cycle to complete. GPS does not play any part in the accelerometer calibration.
Post made in 2017 yet only seen after hunting round and around for my spirit level long enough to reach across both landing gears wehehehe. Anyway, since I already made sure the H is perfectly level, might as well calibrate the gimbal.

I do both gimble and accelerometer calibrations on my work bench which is just about level has anything else around me

Zero bubble isn’t necessary, close is good enough. For example, if you have a concrete patio it probably has a slope of 1/4”/ft for water run off. That would be close enough to calibrate the accelerometers and gimbal. Living room floors and dining room tables work just fine.

That’s an old and incomplete manual. You’re much better served by reading the manual that Charles Ogren made.

Typhoon H manual - cleaned Up and updated (70pgs)
that's it's the last release of Yuneec manual.

Any way, personally I tried both metod of calibration, static and dinamic and both gave me the same result at least on my typhoon H.

Said that I think the dinamic way if is performed as well, without wind should be better, because who guarantees that sensor of copter is perfectly parallel to the ground? When calibrating in this way it is assumed that it is.

In dinamic way it doesn't matter if the sensor copter is not perfectly parallel to the ground or the surface is s not flat because the copter in this case will float on fly in itselsef position, and like the water in a glass will be always levelled, ofcourse in wind absence, so here why I prefer this metod.

This is a copy of those sections of the manual freshly downloaded from the Yuneec website, and there is nothing that even remotely suggests doing the calibrations while airborne.

GIMBAL CAMERA CALIBRATION

STEP 1) Place the TYPHOON H on a level and stable surface. Switch on the ST16 Ground Station and the aircraft and wait till the RC and WiFi connected.

STEP 2) Make sure the tilt mode and pan mode all switched upwards, then tap the 'GPS Calibration' button and choose the 'GIMBAL CALIBRATION'.

STEP 3) The Gimbal camera will calibrate itself automatically. Wait the gimbal camera align in 3 axis and stay still, which means the gimbal calibration completes.

NOTICE: The whole calibration will take about 2-3 minutes. During the calibration process, do not touch or move the aircraft.

ACCELEROMETER CALIBRATION

STEP 1) Place the TYPHOON H on a level and stable surface. Switch on the ST16 Ground Station and the aircraft and wait till the RC and WiFi connected.

STEP 2) Make sure the FLIGHT MODE switch is in the middle position. Tap the GPS Calibration button, and choose 'ACCELEROMETER'.

STPE 3) Keep the aircraft stable during the calibration process. During calibration, the main led will blink red, green and blue slowly at first and rapidly afterwards. If calibration succeed. The copter will restart automatically. You will recognize the this when you hear the raising tone.

NOTICE: You must do the accelerometer calibration in no-wind condition.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If calibration has failed, the Main LED Status Indicator will be solid white and you must repeat the calibration process. If the calibration continues to fail, either the site of calibra- tion is unsuitable or the accelerometer is defective. Refer to your Yuneec service center.

Also note that to complete the Gimbal calibration the H must be manually cycled off/on. The accelerometer calibration does this automatically, as noted above.

This is a copy of those sections of the manual freshly downloaded from the Yuneec website, and there is nothing that even remotely suggests doing the calibrations while airborne.

STEP 2) Make sure the tilt mode and pan mode all switched upwards, then tap the 'GPS Calibration' button and choose the 'GIMBAL CALIBRATION'.

STEP 3) The Gimbal camera will calibrate itself automatically. Wait the gimbal camera align in 3 axis and stay still, which means the gimbal calibration completes.

NOTICE: The whole calibration will take about 2-3 minutes. During the calibration process, do not touch or move the aircraft.

STEP 2) Make sure the FLIGHT MODE switch is in the middle position. Tap the GPS Calibration button, and choose 'ACCELEROMETER'.

STPE 3) Keep the aircraft stable during the calibration process. During calibration, the main led will blink red, green and blue slowly at first and rapidly afterwards. If calibration succeed. The copter will restart automatically. You will recognize the this when you hear the raising tone.

NOTICE: You must do the accelerometer calibration in no-wind condition.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If calibration has failed, the Main LED Status Indicator will be solid white and you must repeat the calibration process. If the calibration continues to fail, either the site of calibra- tion is unsuitable or the accelerometer is defective. Refer to your Yuneec service center.

I do not where You had download these manual's steps, can You post the link?
Here, I post official link where just now again I dowload the manual, release 1.2, no have any new version found

http://us.yuneec.com/files/downloads/typhoon-h/Typhoon H User Manual-V1.2.pdf

This is the copy and paste of the typhoon manual v1.2

STEP 1)
Place the TYPHOON H on a level and stable surface. Switch on
the ST16 Ground Station and the aircraft and wait till the RC and WiFi
connected.
STEP 2)
Make sure the tilt mode and pan mode all switched upwards,
then tap the 'GPS Calibration' button and choose the 'GIMBAL
CALIBRATION'.
STEP 3)
The Gimbal camera will calibrate itself automatically. Wait the
gimbal camera align in 3 axis and stay still, which means the gimbal
calibration completes.
NOTICE:
The whole calibration will take about 2-3 minutes. During the
calibration process, do not touch or move the aircraft.
STEP 1)
Place the TYPHOON H on a level and stable surface. Switch on
the ST16 Ground Station and the aircraft and wait till the RC and WiFi
connected.
STEP 2)
Make sure the FLIGHT MODE switch is in the middle position.
Tap the GPS Calibration button, and choose 'ACCELEROMETER'.
STPE 3)
Keep the aircraft hovering during the calibration process.
During calibration, the main led will blink red, green and blue slowly
at first and start the motors and take off the aircraft, then the LED will <--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- please read this line
blink rapidly afterwards. When the LED blinks slowly, land and aircraft
and stop the motors. If calibration succeed. The copter will restart
automatically. You will recognize the this when you hear the raising
tone.
NOTICE:
You must do the accelerometer calibration in no-wind condition.
IMPORTANT NOTE:
If calibration has failed, the Main LED Status
Indicator will be solid white and you must repeat the calibration
process. If the calibration continues to fail, either the site of calibra-
tion is unsuitable or the accelerometer is defective. Refer to your
Yuneec service center.

Tried to follow the link you posted yesterday and the US site was down. I went to the U.K. site for the Typhoon H Manual. I just checked and that was version 1.1 of the manual.

So according to v1.2, the Typhoon H will automatically launch itself during the accelerometer calibration? How can this be accomplished on a bench in the house?

I just checked the expanded manual by Vcho v3.1. It lists two different Accelerometer calibration techniques, the bench or static and the hovering or dynamic.

So I stand corrected. Although the Yuneec manual v1.2 never mentions launching the aircraft manually.

Tried to follow the link you posted yesterday and the US site was down. I went to the U.K. site for the Typhoon H Manual. I just checked and that was version 1.1 of the manual.

So according to v1.2, the Typhoon H will automatically launch itself during the accelerometer calibration? How can this be accomplished on a bench in the house?

I just checked the expanded manual by Vcho v3.1. It lists two different Accelerometer calibration techniques, the bench or static and the hovering or dynamic.

So I stand corrected. Although the Yuneec manual v1.2 never mentions launching the aircraft manually.

Hi DommMeister
To be sure I download again this morning the manual from US site and is that I posted above, the line that i had mark:

"During calibration, the main led will blink red, green and blue slowly
at first and start the motors and take off the aircraft, " <---------------------------------------------------- they say start the motors and take off, ofcourse You can't do it indoor, so the difficult will be the wind

I have also see a video about it, if I'll find it again I will post it

For what ever reason the US website was down yesterday. The U.K. website only has v1.1 of the manual. You would think Yuneec would only have one version on their websites worldwide.

At any rate, the accelerometer calibration may be done either way. Statically on a level surface or dynamically in a no wind hover where stick inputs are accounted for.

For what ever reason the US website was down yesterday. The U.K. website only has v1.1 of the manual. You would think Yuneec would only have one version on their websites worldwide.

At any rate, the accelerometer calibration may be done either way. Statically on a level surface or dynamically in a no wind hover where stick inputs are accounted for.

I don't know why You have problem with US site that's not my case, I'm locate in Italy and I'm use the international site too but I have the same instruction release V1.2 also in italian language.
Anyway I'm agree with You, as I said at the beginning both metod are valid.
In attachment the multilanguage manual V1.2.

CALIBRAZIONE ACCELEROMETRO
STEP 1) Posizionare il TYPHOON H su una superficie piana e stabile.
Accendere la stazione di terra ST16 e il velivolo e attendere che RC e
Wi-Fi siano collega ti.
STEP 2) Assicurarsi che la MODALITÀ FLIGHT sia in posizione intermedia.
Toccare il pulsante per la calibrazione del GPS e selezionare
"ACCELEROMETER" (acceler ometro).
STEP 3) Mantenere il velivolo in sospeso durante il processo di
calibrazione. Durante la calibrazione, all'inizio l'indicatore principale
LED lampeggia lentamente in rosso, verde e blu per poi lampeggiare
rapidamente dopo che i motori sono stati avviati e il velivolo è decollato.
Quando i LED lampeggiano lentamente, far atterrare il velivolo e
arrestare i motori. Se la calibrazione è avvenuta con successo, il velivolo
si riavvia automaticamente. Un segnale acustico di intensità
crescente lo confermer à.
NOTA: la calibrazione dell'accelerometro deve essere eseguita in
assenza di vento .
NOTA IMPORTANTE: se la calibrazione della bussola fallisce, l'indicatore
principale di stato al LED avrà una luce bianca fissa e sarà necessario
riavviare il processo di calibrazione. Se la calibrazione continua
a fallire, è possibile che il sito prescelto per la calibrazione non sia
idoneo o che la bussola sia difettosa. Contattare il centro di assistenza

Attachments

• Typhoon+H+Manuals+(EN,+ES,+FR,+IT,+PT).zip
    19 MB · Views: 1
Do the accelerometer calibration with the props off and motors off. I dunno why anyone would want to do an accelerometer calibration in the air unless you find the need to do one in the field and you can't find a level enough surface.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval