Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Added the other 2.4 Antenna to outside of ST16

Reaction score
I have been having telemetry drops about 1000' out intermittently when flying around the neighborhood. Yesterday evening decided to open up the controller and pull out the other 2.4 antenna to the outside of the ST16. While in there I replaced the 3 internal cables with a better RG178 cable that really snaps hard into the connectors on the board.

This morning I took her out to 2200' with no telemetry loss at all and everything was rock solid.

IMG_20161009_080445.jpg IMG_20161009_080459.jpg

Reactions: DroneClone
I have been having telemetry drops about 1000' out intermittently when flying around the neighborhood. Yesterday evening decided to open up the controller and pull out the other 2.4 antenna to the outside of the ST16. While in there I replaced the 3 internal cables with a better RG178 cable that really snaps hard into the connectors on the board.

This morning I took her out to 2200' with no telemetry loss at all and everything was rock solid.

View attachment 3431 View attachment 3432
Can you post where you got your cables and what part numbers you used? I need to do the same.

azpilot,
I'm using FPVLR antennas already but still having telemetry dropouts at about 1500' flying around my neighborhood as well. Granted, I have to deal wit 60' treetops all round me, but I never lose VLOS.

If you could please post where I can get comparable parts as well as your steps to install on the H and ST16, I'd be truly grateful as I must do something to improve this issue. Thanks!

azpilot,
I'm using FPVLR antennas already but still having telemetry dropouts at about 1500' flying around my neighborhood as well. Granted, I have to deal wit 60' treetops all round me, but I never lose VLOS.

If you could please post where I can get comparable parts as well as your steps to install on the H and ST16, I'd be truly grateful as I must do something to improve this issue. Thanks!

Here is the video I followed for moving the other 2.4 antenna outside the ST16

And the cables

RP-SMA female with 200mm (8 inches) RG178 cable + IPEX-MHF(U.FL) connector

Reactions: DroneClone
azpilot,

!

I'm calling BS. There's no way you are maintaining directional control and airframe orientation via LOS at 1500'. You might be able to see a black speck in the sky but you are using the view screen for navigation. That's not in compliance with LOS regulations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is the video I followed for moving the other 2.4 antenna outside the ST16

Richard does a great job in this video. I have watched that many times. I have also ordered all the parts (for the H and the ST16) from Carlos. They should be here in another few weeks, then I can do the upgrades.

Reactions: Steve Carr
I'm calling BS. There's no way you are maintaining directional control and airframe orientation via LOS at 1500'. You might be able to see a black speck in the sky but you are using the view screen for navigation. That's not in compliance with LOS regulations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Then you'd be proved wrong. Though I am flying a CCC mission at that distance, I am able to track my H every step of the way. And, I never stated I wasn't looking at my screen. VLOS states only that you are able too see your bird, not how you control it.

Steve, have you done any mods to your ST16 or simply replaced the dipole antenna with this paddle antenna to extend the range?
I have not modified the ST16 yet although I still plan to do so. For the time being the replacement antenna seems to have improved the signal. There are some remote unpopulated areas I can only reach from the air and I've maintained telemetry and video at over 3000'. I am using this antenna for video and so far it has been much better than the stock mushroom.
5 Turn Helical 5.8Ghz Antenna, for FPV - LHCP, SMA

Then you'd be proved wrong. Though I am flying a CCC mission at that distance, I am able to track my H every step of the way. And, I never stated I wasn't looking at my screen. VLOS states only that you are able too see your bird, not how you control it.

Using the following it would be interesting to see how a case turned out for careless and reckless operation of an aircraft. The phrase "such as" does not mean "limited to".

73 FR 46803. The

statute does not require FAA to exempt

model aircraft from those rules because

those rules are not specifically regarding

model aircraft. On the other hand, a

model aircraft operated pursuant to the

terms of section 336 would potentially

be excepted from a UAS aircraft

certification rule, for example, because

of the limitation on future rulemaking

specifically ‘‘regarding a model aircraft,

or an aircraft being developed as a

model aircraft.’’ Public Law 112–95,

section 336(a). The FAA interprets the

section 336 rulemaking prohibition as

one that must be evaluated on a rule-by-

rule basis.

Although the FAA believes the

statutory definition of a model aircraft is

clear, the FAA provides the following

explanation of the meanings of ‘‘visual

line of sight’’ and ‘‘hobby or recreational

purpose,’’ terms used in the definition

of model aircraft, because the FAA has

received a number of questions in this

area.

By definition, a model aircraft must

be ‘‘flown within visual line of sight of

the person operating the aircraft.’’

Public Law 112–95, section 336(c)(2).

Based on the plain language of the

statute, the FAA interprets this

requirement to mean that: (1) The

aircraft must be visible at all times to

the operator; (2) that the operator must

use his or her own natural vision (which

includes vision corrected by standard

eyeglasses or contact lenses) to observe

the aircraft; and (3) people other than

the operator may not be used in lieu of

the operator for maintaining visual line

of sight. Under the criteria above, visual

line of sight would mean that the

operator has an unobstructed view of

the model aircraft. To ensure that the

operator has the best view of the

aircraft, the statutory requirement

would preclude the use of vision-

enhancing devices, such as binoculars,

night vision goggles, powered vision

magnifying devices, and goggles

designed to provide a ‘‘first-person

view’’ from the model.

Such devices

would limit the operator’s field of view

thereby reducing his or her ability to

see-and-avoid other aircraft in the area.

Additionally, some of these devices

could dramatically increase the distance

at which an operator could see the

aircraft, rendering the statutory visual-

line-of-sight requirements meaningless.

Finally, based on the plain language of

the statute, which says that aircraft must

be ‘‘flown within the visual line of sight

of the

person operating the aircraft,

’’ an

operator could not rely on another

person to satisfy the visual line of sight

requirement.

See id.

(emphasis added).

While the statute would not preclude

using an observer to augment the safety

of the operation, the operator must be

able to view the aircraft at all times.

I can't stand it! I crashed my TH into a tree yesterday because I was looking at it with my eyes and misjudged the relative distances due to parallax issues. If I had be watching the screen on the ST16, I would have noticed that the bird was headed straight for the tree... It wasn't even very far a way from me, say 100 ft. or so. I broke 2 motor arms, a third won't latch. One of the landing gear has too much play in it (broken gear?). The camera gimbal broke off at the body guide rails. All blades are broken. I think the gimbal and camera are still in working order. The ND filter shattered but possibly saved the camera lens. I have a lot of repair work to do. I've been flying and loving my TH since June with dozens of successful flights. A few of my videos are posted on YouTube (Rubik3x). My point is that VLOS does not always equal safer flying. Once in the air, safe control of the drone should INCLUDE watching the screen too.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval