Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Advice with story board

Reaction score
A while back I received a great piece of advice from Murray in a previous video post, and in it he suggested planning out shots ahead of time via storyboard. I’m just wondering what that process looks like if people use that method. Can someone take me through their process from planning up till the actual shooting?

I guess, like what your actual though process is before, and while, doing it.

Thanks.

I'm taking it that story board is simply a note pad with thoughts, and a insight/vision of what you want to accomplish ? I'm guessing a sound trac, song could do the same for a particular location ?

Reactions: Mike Irish
I'm taking it that story board is simply a note pad with thoughts, and a insight/vision of what you want to accomplish ? I'm guessing a sound trac, song could do the same for a particular location ?

Yes, I suppose that’s one way of putting it, just curious on someone’s thought process and how they approach it.

I have not done it myself, but from watching documentaries on Walt Disney my take on the storyboard goes like this.
A) Pick a subject
B) What do you wish to convey about the subject (story)
C) What photos/video clips will it take to provide the words for the story
D) Arrange them in a logical order
E) Develop a sound track to convey the mood for the story

Reactions: Done-guy
Yes, I suppose that’s one way of putting it, just curious on someone’s thought process and how they approach it.
This is all new to me is why I gave my simple assumption which leads to another question, how in depth does this thought go ? In all honesty I thought alot more went into it after you view your video after the flight, than pre-flight/story board, I mean you kinda know what you want, but the in depth aspects failed to come to mind for me ?

Story Boards were used mostly in the latter half of the last century by film makers. Essentially the director or producer needed a method by which they could convey hundreds of shots that are found in a typical movie to not only to the cast but also to cameramen, cinematographers, production designers, lighting as well as the whole crew so everyone could see what the goal for a given shoot is. A storyboard was simply a bulletin board with hundreds of pieces of paper drawings that showed primary characters and movement with things like arrows to tell a cameraman to follow action for instance. They were very crude but did the job.

Around the turn of the century, movie makers began using animatics which are somewhat basic computer generated scenes with all the elements and these play out in real speed and show in great detail what the director is after. Essentially the cast and crew can what a digital animation of what they are to do. This has become the norm in modern movies due to the large amount of digital rendering that is done in post - an actor cannot react to a T-rex because it isn't there.

But either of these two tools can only be brought about after there is a script and while most videos, (where we're looking at drone footage) don't really tell a story, this does not have to be the case. A script is simply a road map to what we want to see or say or convey in a video. All of my tutorial videos start with a script, because with out that, it is really easy to make a long boring video, and believe me, I've made my share of long boring videos. ?

Another way to look at it is to watch your typical 'drone' video and write down what you see, in detail and then later review what you wrote. A Whole lot of drone videos would go something like this. . . .

Looking down while flying over a field, then look up and spin, look down again and fly back over hill in other direction, cut to low angle of hill flying away, cut back to hill and fly forward. . . . and so on. . . and so on. ;)

A script will allow you to put down in detail what you want to see but then you have to go out and shoot it which can present a new set of problems. The first advice I would (and do) give anyone wanting to get into videos is to become a student of what it is you find interesting, what is it about one video that keeps you watching while another has you turning it off in seconds? Learn the basics of photography and cinematography. There are some very basic things that if we stick to them we will make better videos instantly and finally - become your own worst critic. ;)

Story Boards were used mostly in the latter half of the last century by film makers. Essentially the director or producer needed a method by which they could convey hundreds of shots that are found in a typical movie to not only to the cast but also to cameramen, cinematographers, production designers, lighting as well as the whole crew so everyone could see what the goal for a given shoot is. A storyboard was simply a bulletin board with hundreds of pieces of paper drawings that showed primary characters and movement with things like arrows to tell a cameraman to follow action for instance. They were very crude but did the job.

Around the turn of the century, movie makers began using animatics which are somewhat basic computer generated scenes with all the elements and these play out in real speed and show in great detail what the director is after. Essentially the cast and crew can what a digital animation of what they are to do. This has become the norm in modern movies due to the large amount of digital rendering that is done in post - an actor cannot react to a T-rex because it isn't there.

But either of these two tools can only be brought about after there is a script and while most videos, (where we're looking at drone footage) don't really tell a story, this does not have to be the case. A script is simply a road map to what we want to see or say or convey in a video. All of my tutorial videos start with a script, because with out that, it is really easy to make a long boring video, and believe me, I've made my share of long boring videos. ?

Another way to look at it is to watch your typical 'drone' video and write down what you see, in detail and then later review what you wrote. A Whole lot of drone videos would go something like this. . . .

Looking down while flying over a field, then look up and spin, look down again and fly back over hill in other direction, cut to low angle of hill flying away, cut back to hill and fly forward. . . . and so on. . . and so on. ;)

A script will allow you to put down in detail what you want to see but then you have to go out and shoot it which can present a new set of problems. The first advice I would (and do) give anyone wanting to get into videos is to become a student of what it is you find interesting, what is it about one video that keeps you watching while another has you turning it off in seconds? Learn the basics of photography and cinematography. There are some very basic things that if we stick to them we will make better videos instantly and finally - become your own worst critic. ;)
That's kinda it.

A storyboard and proof of concept video/animation are different things.

The storyboard is still in use today and is a key element in film making. A storyboard is sketches in panels that represent the script and show what you want to have happen shot by shot. It's essentially your play book for the cinematography and a way to keep track of which unit is filming what. They can also be more detailed showing lighting, camera angels and camera paths. The storyboard is used by the director, assistant director, director of photography and the assistant director of photography to stay on track.

The proof of concept is used to pitch the idea to a studio. It is similar to a storyboard, but uses colored still drawings or if there is a budget it will use some short animation. It is also accompanied with speaking scenes and music to create the feel of what they will be investing in. This is much shorter and less involved than a storyboard is.

Here in Canada we are required by law to do a site survey. This means putting down what you plan on doing each and every flight. Where, when and what your flight plan will be. These have to be kept for 12 months. So you really are doing a phase one of a story board. Basically having a good idea of the area you plan on flying in so planning out your shots or video come together pretty easy.

Reactions: DoomMeister
Previsualization (previz), planning, and communication are the important principles underlying the use of storyboards In cinematography.

Pre-viz: what do you want the final product to look like, shot by shot?
Planning: what do you need to do to get those specific shots? What gear and human resources do you need? Weather? Time of day?
Communication: sharing pre-viz and plans with a team.

Storyboards are a particular tool in previsualization. Shotlists are also popular. Frames from other video/film projects.

OTOH *Mod edit* On the other hand, cinematography principles don’t universally apply to all aerial or terrestrial work. Cinematography assumes a highly resourced project. For us, that means a pilot and a camera/gimbal operator, the ability to procure waivers, traffic control, actors, etc.

Most drone filming is in line with videography principles. We are lower resourced, we don’t have a big crew, aren’t shooting actors. We have what we have and we get what we can get.

Last edited:
Here in Canada we are required by law to do a site survey. This means putting down what you plan on doing each and every flight. Where, when and what your flight plan will be. These have to be kept for 12 months. So you really are doing a phase one of a story board. Basically having a good idea of the area you plan on flying in so planning out your shots or video come together pretty easy.
Not really the same thing, a storyboard is just a storyboard. It is simple and to the point. There is nothing in it to make it complicated or confusing. It has nothing to do with safety or planning out the site where you are going to fly. The storyboard happens after the script and is a shot guide. What you are talking about is what Transport Canada requires to have in place, a federal regulation.

Lets get back on track here. The posed question was this..."Can someone take me through their process from planning up till the actual shooting?"

@Done-guy is looking to hear from those that actually have some practical experience with using a storyboard and how it has worked for them.

Reactions: Done-guy
Not really the same thing, a storyboard is just a storyboard. It is simple and to the point. There is nothing in it to make it complicated or confusing. It has nothing to do with safety or planning out the site where you are going to fly. The storyboard happens after the script and is a shot guide. What you are talking about is what Transport Canada requires to have in place, a federal regulation.
I disagree, without following the regulations I cannot plan out a story board and follow the rules

I disagree, without following the regulations I cannot plan out a story board and follow the rules
You are free to disagree, but that will not make what you said correct. The information listed below is directly from Transport Canada.

Site Survey​

901.27 No pilot shall operate a remotely piloted aircraft system unless, before commencing operations, they determine that the site for take-off, launch, landing or recovery is suitable for the proposed operation by conducting a site survey that takes into account the following factors:

• (a) the boundaries of the area of operation;
  • (b) the type of airspace and the applicable regulatory requirements;
  • (c) the altitudes and routes to be used on the approach to and departure from the area of operation;
  • (d) the proximity of manned aircraft operations;
  • (e) the proximity of aerodromes, airports and heliports;
  • (f) the location and height of obstacles, including wires, masts, buildings, cell phone towers and wind turbines;
  • (g) the predominant weather and environmental conditions for the area of operation; and
  • (h) the horizontal distances from persons not involved in the operation.

If you would like to have a discussion on what is the difference between a storyboard and a site survey or also known as part of the pre-flight safety check, we can have that in a conversation vs discussing it in this thread as that would be thread hijacking and is not allowed. Message me if you like.

Reactions: SethB
A site survey is indeed very important. Our filming projects should start with safety, as should all our flying. Failing to plan is planning to fail, which is unacceptable when it comes to safety.

I very much agree with Murray M., that’s quite different than a storyboard. Of course the language gets corrupted and people mean all kinds of things when they say storyboard. It’s a cool word that could mean a lot of things.

In film, “storyboard” means something very specific. A series of illustrations/drawings/samples that show a sequence of shots. It often includes descriptions of action alongside the illustrations.

I happened to come across this today while looking for something else: The Ultimate Storyboard Creator | StudioBinder

If you scroll down that page, you’ll see some examples of storyboards as used in film, television, and advertising. I am not endorsing StudioBinder, it looks cool but I’ve never used it, and have no relationship to that business.

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
A site survey is indeed very important. Our filming projects should start with safety, as should all our flying. Failing to plan is planning to fail, which is unacceptable when it comes to safety.

I very much agree with Murray M., that’s quite different than a storyboard. Of course the language gets corrupted and people mean all kinds of things when they say storyboard. It’s a cool word that could mean a lot of things.

In film, “storyboard” means something very specific. A series of illustrations/drawings/samples that show a sequence of shots. It often includes descriptions of action alongside the illustrations.

I happened to come across this today while looking for something else: The Ultimate Storyboard Creator | StudioBinder

If you scroll down that page, you’ll see some examples of storyboards as used in film, television, and advertising. I am not endorsing StudioBinder, it looks cool but I’ve never used it, and have no relationship to that business.
That is exactly what a storyboard is. I have a family member that is a director of photography in Los Angeles and works on major motion pictures. He has been involved in some of the Marvel pictures and many others. They also use drones for a lot of shots now as it is cheaper than hiring a helicopter. Mind you, they use drones that easily reach the $250k mark. One thing he mentioned to me was how he liked what my H was able to provide at such a low cost. Obviously the payloads are what make the difference among other things. They use a lot of animators to digitally draw what they need. After a script comes the storyboard.

If you are just out shooting random video with no story in mind, then there is no need for a storyboard, but remember, you have to decide what you are wanting to do, tell a story or just create some content and add music....both are different things and one should use a storyboard and the other has no need for one.

Thanks so much Marty**mod edit.....Marty is Bostonian for Murray**, excellent information!
That's kinda it.

A storyboard and proof of concept video/animation are different things.

The storyboard is still in use today and is a key element in film making. A storyboard is sketches in panels that represent the script and show what you want to have happen shot by shot. It's essentially your play book for the cinematography and a way to keep track of which unit is filming what. They can also be more detailed showing lighting, camera angels and camera paths. The storyboard is used by the director, assistant director, director of photography and the assistant director of photography to stay on track.

The proof of concept is used to pitch the idea to a studio. It is similar to a storyboard, but uses colored still drawings or if there is a budget it will use some short animation. It is also accompanied with speaking scenes and music to create the feel of what they will be investing in. This is much shorter and less involved than a storyboard is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much Marty**mod edit.....Marty is Bostonian for Murray**, excellent information!, excellent information!
You're very welcome. I also have somewhere a list of recommended book titles that my cousin messaged me. I will do my best to find them. You may have to remind me at some point though. And who is Marty....is that one of those Boston things? ?

Lol. I'm sorry, I look at your name in writing and Marty just came out for some reason, not a Boston thing. I apologize.
You're very welcome. I also have somewhere a list of recommended book titles that my cousin messaged me. I will do my best to find them. You may have to remind me at some point though. And who is Marty....is that one of those Boston things? [emoji1787]

Reactions: Mike Irish
Lol. I'm sorry, I look at your name in writing and Marty just came out for some reason, not a Boston thing. I apologize.
No worries, I had a teacher in what you call middle school that kept calling me Marty Marty.....could never get my name right for 2 years.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yeezygaphoodie