Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Battery Charging (Typhoon H +) DY5 Charger

My DY5 will not charge my St16s+. Anyone else have this problem?

John

I found that the ST16s would charge from the DY5, but very, very slow, and if the ST16s was on, it didn’t seem to charge at all. I would typically charge the ST16s using a different power source like an external battery pack that had a 2.5-3A output. I believe the USB out on the DY5 is only rated at 1-1.5A output (if memory serves me, 1.2A). This was one of my main reasons for purchasing a second controller battery. Hope this helps.

Jeff

I purchased this dual charger
Amazon.com: Yuneec YUNDY5 – Dual Battery Charger for Yuneec H520 and Typhoon H Plus: Toys & Games this winter.

I used it to put my two H+ batteries in storage mode for the winter. It did its thing. I went to recharge the batteries this past week and discovered two issues. Is anyone else, using this charger having issues? Yuneec has given me the shipping address and will replace it. Here are my problems:

1) the usb port in the unit (not the controller) for charging the ST16 is wobbly and I couldn't get a full charge on the controller. It seems to plateau and stop at around 97%. It didn't shut off. I finished the charge on the ST16 with the original battery charger and it topped it off fine.

2) the "slots" where the drone batteries plug into the charger also seem not to connect well, requiring me to push and adjust (wiggle) for a more solid contact. Sometimes the readout on the cells doesn't appear for a few minutes and the menu button wasn't always responding to the push. (Yes I know it has to be held for over 2 seconds initially.)

If anyone has any thoughts or experience they'd care to share please let me know. I'm preparing to return it for a replacement but if there are better options out there maybe I should be asking for my money back. It's not cheap and the issues seem like a lack of quality (and perhaps inspection before sales.)

Thanks

The issue with having to slightly wiggle the batteries in the DY series of chargers is common, but many times you needed to do that with the OEM TH charger as well.

If Yuneec is replacing the charger at no cost, go ahead and get that if nothing else as an additional backup. As far as other choices... if you do not mind plugging in an adapter cable, a 3rd party charger is the route to go. Primary reason is the ease with which you can monitor IR levels, the most effective method of keeping track of your battery health. Many brands out there... I have this model:

Hitec X2 AC Plus Black

or you could get the more powerful

Hitec X2 AC Pro

Use these adapter cables:

Typhoon H Plus Adapter Cable

The Yuneec factory charger meets pretty much the minimum requirements for charging the systems batteries. It can do nothing else. If you are serious about the longevity and care of your system you should consider investing in a quality after market charger and adapter cables.

It’s cheaper in the long run as your batteries will have longer life cycles, more consistent with charge levels, complete charge cycles faster, and ultimately safer.

I use this charger:

I have other larger packs that need the power. I use the Carolina Dronz charge cables for my H+.
Whatever charge you use make sure it allows you to monitor the IR of each cell. That is the best diagnostic indicator for evaluating the cell health. Voltage is nice, but not meaningful in and of itself. IR tells the tale.

Reactions: Eagle's Eye Video
The issue with having to slightly wiggle the batteries in the DY series of chargers is common, but many times you needed to do that with the OEM TH charger as well.

If Yuneec is replacing the charger at no cost, go ahead and get that if nothing else as an additional backup. As far as other choices... if you do not mind plugging in an adapter cable, a 3rd party charger is the route to go. Primary reason is the ease with which you can monitor IR levels, the most effective method of keeping track of your battery health. Many brands out there... I have this model:

Hitec X2 AC Plus Black

Hitec X2 AC Pro

Thanks for the input.

I use this charger:

I have other larger packs that need the power. I use the Carolina Dronz charge cables for my H+.
Whatever charge you use make sure it allows you to monitor the IR of each cell. That is the best diagnostic indicator for evaluating the cell health. Voltage is nice, but not meaningful in and of itself. IR tells the tale.

Thank you. Good information.

I use this charger:

This is like the Cadillac of chargers. But four at once is pretty sweet. I suppose the expense makes sense.

Hitec X2 AC Plus Black

Hitec X2 AC Pro

I recently purchased the X2 AC Plus and ordered the adapter cables (which should arrive early this week.) Thanks for the suggestion. The HiTec directions says that Lipos that are "broken-in" (ten or more uses approx.) do better on the Hitec charger. So I'm going to be charging my two new batteries on my Yuneec dual battery charger and charging the original two batteries, (now well broken in) on the Hitec. I'd appreciate some input on settings for the HiTec, as all this "battery talk" goes a little over my head and I admit to being too lazy to research it deeply. I want to be sure my settings on the HiTec are correct (so as to not risk any fires or explosions.) It seems (to me) that the options are a bit confusing. If you have any thoughts or recommendations in that regard it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I am going to operate on the assumption that you will be using the OEM LiHV batteries supplied with the H Plus.

These batteries are 4 cell High Voltage LiPos with a rated capacity at 5250 mAh.
Following the instructions in the HiTec manual, you need to setup the following parameters:

The battery type is LiHV 4S... Since the OEM batteries are rated at 5250 mAh, the charging amperage will be a maximum of 5.2A (however it can be set lower, see below)... Total max charge voltage will be 17.4V... HV cell max voltage of 4.35V x 4 cells. The type of charge will be Balance charging. However since the maximum rated output of the Hitec AC Plus is 100 watts (50 watts per channel), it would be prudent to set the charging amperage to 4.9A, if you are charging 2 batteries simultaneously.

I am going to operate on the assumption that you will be using the OEM LiHV batteries supplied with the H Plus.

These batteries are 4 cell High Voltage LiPos with a rated capacity at 5250 mAh.
Following the instructions in the HiTec manual, you need to setup the following parameters:

The battery type is LiHV 4S... Since the OEM batteries are rated at 5250 mAh, the charging amperage will be a maximum of 5.2A (however it can be set lower, see below)... Total max charge voltage will be 17.4V... HV cell max voltage of 4.35V x 4 cells. The type of charge will be Balance charging. However since the maximum rated output of the Hitec AC Plus is 100 watts (50 watts per channel), it would be prudent to set the charging amperage to 4.9A, if you are charging 2 batteries simultaneously.

Thank you so very much, for your time and your thorough explanation. I'm sure this will be of immense help.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hendrtiz