Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Any tips on registration?

Reaction score
I've heard for months that new regs are coming out, etc. but, as I understand it, I should register before flying my Typhoon H?

Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Registration

I was thinking of applying also for a 133 exemption but DC told me that I should just wait since a new process will be out shortly and FAA takes like 6 months to handle a 333 application (web site says about 120 days). Any tips on that is also appreciated.

Last edited:
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Yuneec Pilots forum. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Yuneec UAV’s.

I assume you are referring to a #333 exemption for commercial work? If you just want to fly for fun head on over to the FAA link you posted and after a couple minutes and $5 your done! If you want to profit from flying (anything other than fun flying, even if not for money) you need a #333 exemption. While it is currently a bit of process to complete the application it is supposed to be streamlined in the future. A couple of things to remember, if you plan on commercial use the current rule stipulate that you or the operator of the drone MUST have at least a sports pilot license. So unless you already have a pilots license it is a long costly endeavor. The hope is when the new commercial rules come out you will not be required to hold a pilots license.

Reactions: HarveyC
Thanks for the welcome, etc.!

Just to have some fun mostly, doing some videos of my farm, etc. Not sure if that would be considered for commercial purposes, but not for hire. One thing I had read is that with a #333 exemption that flying within 5 miles but more than 2 miles of non-towered airports was allowed while model aircraft regulations seem to prohibit any flights within 5 miles. I took this from reading at Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions and Model Aircraft Operations

Thanks for the welcome, etc.!

Just to have some fun mostly, doing some videos of my farm, etc. Not sure if that would be considered for commercial purposes, but not for hire. One thing I had read is that with a #333 exemption that flying within 5 miles but more than 2 miles of non-towered airports was allowed while model aircraft regulations seem to prohibit any flights within 5 miles. I took this from reading at Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions and Model Aircraft Operations
There are FAA regulations even if you're just flying as a hobby. They want to make sure no drones conflict with manned aircraft, Read this: Model Aircraft Operations
At the bottom of the page is a link to register, it's super easy and one registration works for all your drones or model aircraft.

Some of the key points:
  • Fly below 400 feet and remain clear of surrounding obstacles
  • Keep the aircraft within visual line of sight at all times
  • Remain well clear of and do not interfere with manned aircraft operations
  • Don't fly within 5 miles of an airport unless you contact the airport and control tower before flying
  • Don't fly near people or stadiums
  • Don't fly an aircraft that weighs more than 55 lbs
  • Don't be careless or reckless with your unmanned aircraft – you could be fined for endangering people or other aircraft

Thanks. I already read the model aircraft regulations and had linked them in my post.

Specifically, if I want to fly between 3 and 5 miles of a non-towered airport (below 400'), it seems the only way to do so is with a #333 exemption. I live within that distance of a small municipal airport.

I called the city employee that manages the airport and was told that someone from a RC club had asked permission to have a race within 5 miles of the airport and that he had checked with the FAA and was told by the FAA that regulations did not permit this but that they might change soon. It doesn't seem that this is correct from what I've read but thought that rather than argue that a #333 exemption would accomplish what I wanted.

I've heard for months that new regs are coming out, etc. but, as I understand it, I should register before flying my Typhoon H?

I was thinking of applying also for a 133 exemption but DC told me that I should just wait since a new process will be out shortly and FAA takes like 6 months to handle a 133 application (web site says about 120 days). Any tips on that is also appreciated.
120 days to go to "Docket" then another 1-2 months, more like 2 or 3 for me, plus sports liscense about 5K, waiting is soooo much better!

I registered when the were doing the free-bee month.. just recycled my stickers from the dji's to the q500 and the phantom. ok i'll bite what is the 133 something new?

120 days to go to "Docket" then another 1-2 months, more like 2 or 3 for me, plus sports liscense about 5K, waiting is soooo much better!
From what I read, the sports license is only necessary if I plan to fly commercially but the #333 exemption could, if I understand it correctly, grant me an exemption in the 3-5 mile range from my local airport.

I registered when the were doing the free-bee month.. just recycled my stickers from the dji's to the q500 and the phantom. ok i'll bite what is the 133 something new?
#133 is a HarveyC version of typo when typing 333

Reactions: n3srj
From what I read, the sports license is only necessary if I plan to fly commercially but the #333 exemption could, if I understand it correctly, grant me an exemption in the 3-5 mile range from my local airport.
Yes , after you request a COA after you get your FAA 333

Yes , after you request a COA after you get your FAA 333
From the following, it seems the "blanket COA" covers the 3-5 mile range I'm talking about but that I would only need to request a COA if I wanted to operate within ranges closer than those exemptions. Right?

Civil operators authorized via Section 333 grants of exemption are automatically issued a "blanket COA" to conduct civil UAS operations nationwide. The blanket COA authorizes flights at or below 400 feet to any UAS operator with a Section 333 exemption for aircraft that weigh less than 55 pounds, operate during daytime Visual Flight Rules (VFR) conditions, operate within visual line of sight (VLOS) of the pilots, and stay the following distances away from airports or heliports:

• 5 nautical miles (NM) from an airport having an operational control tower; or
  • 3 NM from an airport with a published instrument flight procedure, but not an operational tower; or
  • 2 NM from an airport without a published instrument flight procedure or an operational tower; or
  • 2 NM from a heliport with a published instrument flight procedure.
A UAS operator that wants to operate from an airport or within the distances from the airport stated above for the "blanket COA", must apply for and obtain a separate COA specific to the proposed flight on or near an airport. These are sometimes referred to as a "full COA". This type of COA will provide specific details and parameters of the permitted operation. Please note that the documentation for the "blanket COA" and the "full COA" may initially appear to be very similar and the FAA recommends obtaining the entire COA documentation from the UAS operator for review.

Ahhhhh ok.. thought it was another new class of license.. no worries you ought to see me type with these 10 polish sausage fingers!:D
You'd be good to go Harvey, get it in the mail today and by Christmas you should have it! I bet the 107 will be out before then!

You can be a hobby flyer and fly near airports... just notify the tower, don't ask permission, you just have to notify them of your flight plans, nothing more. See the following quote from the FAA web site...

2. Is model aircraft use prohibited within five statute miles of an airport?There are no legislative prohibitions. However, Section 336 of Public Law 112-95 requires the operator of the model aircraft to notify the airport operator and airport traffic control tower (if one is located on the airport) prior to operating within five miles of an airport. For ease in determining distances, the FAA interprets this as five statute[5] miles from an airport reference point (ARP) as denoted in the current FAA Airport/Facility Directory (AFD) or for airports not denoted with an ARP, the center of the airport symbol as denoted on the current FAA-published aeronautical chart. Please note that model aircraft operators must also comply with the requirements of the airspace where they intend to fly the model aircraft. Please refer the model aircraft operator to the local airport traffic control tower, if one is located at the airport, for specific questions on airspace operating requirements.

SOURCE: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about the Use of Model Aircraft Near an Airport – Airports

I was thinking of applying also for a 133 exemption but DC told me that I should just wait since a new process will be out shortly and FAA takes like 6 months to handle a 333 application (web site says about 120 days). Any tips on that is also appreciated.

I hold a 333 exemption, and would recommend getting one. At the time I applied for mine, everyone advised me that I should just wait....the new regs will be out soon. It was over a year ago that I got my exemption, so I would still be waiting! The FAA moves VERY slowly, and the dates keep getting pushed back. I used a really simple template on the Douglas Trudeau website. I believe it was $250. I filled it out and had it submitted within a couple hours. 4 months later I had my exemption. Having the exemption also gives you a major edge right now for getting business. Currently, it's a pretty limited playing field, so it's easy to get customers. Treat them right and they will stick with you - even after the new regs are passed and everyone with a toy drone can fly commercially! I think it's a very smart business move to get a jump on the imminent competition

You can be a hobby flyer and fly near airports... just notify the tower, don't ask permission, you just have to notify them of your flight plans, nothing more. See the following quote from the FAA web site...

2. Is model aircraft use prohibited within five statute miles of an airport?There are no legislative prohibitions. However, Section 336 of Public Law 112-95 requires the operator of the model aircraft to notify the airport operator and airport traffic control tower (if one is located on the airport) prior to operating within five miles of an airport. For ease in determining distances, the FAA interprets this as five statute[5] miles from an airport reference point (ARP) as denoted in the current FAA Airport/Facility Directory (AFD) or for airports not denoted with an ARP, the center of the airport symbol as denoted on the current FAA-published aeronautical chart. Please note that model aircraft operators must also comply with the requirements of the airspace where they intend to fly the model aircraft. Please refer the model aircraft operator to the local airport traffic control tower, if one is located at the airport, for specific questions on airspace operating requirements.

SOURCE: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about the Use of Model Aircraft Near an Airport – Airports

My local airport has an office at the airport but no tower. I called the number shown on the Altitude Angels web site and it rang at city hall. I got passed off to some director whose the guy that told me that FAA told him it wasn't allowed, etc. What if I want to fly every day, multiple times a day or outside the hours of 8am-5pm and nobody is around to call?

Small planes fly over my place frequently, sometimes several times per hour, often when approaching the airport for landing (I assume) but probably at 1,000' or so above me or more. Sometimes I hire a cropduster and I obviously wouldn't be planning to fly when they're spraying my alfalfa.

Nate, thanks, but I don't plan to do this for work, I'm busier than I want to be as it is.

I'd suggest writing a blanket letter to the airport noticing them of rc aircraft activities at your location. List the times that rc activities could be occurring. That would put them on notice that you consider your property an active rc airfield.

I have never read any regulation that states you must notify prior to each flight. Only that you must notify before flying within 5 miles.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval