Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Is Yuneec on the brink of extinction?

The 2nd Biggest mistake is their Total Silence, as if everything is Normal, and neglecting their existing Loyal Customers here in the USA, the Damage Done to their Reputation will be something they are not likely to undo no matter what Product or Market they Target, be it Commercial, Professional or the Hobbyist.
They do not understand the American Consumer, or Flat Out just don't care.
It goes without saying their 1st mistake was discontinuing the Typhoon H480, and then releasing the H+ using many of the same Parts, with little to no availability........not to mention Batteries, which is kind of Important.
I'm not Bound by any Non-Disclosure Agreement, so here's a copy of Yuneec's Warranty Repair Allowance.
I'm assuming these are the amounts Paid to the Repair Facilities, it's no wonder they scrapped so many drones.
and Scavenged Cameras & Parts from New Drones. (I know this because I have a few dozen without Cameras, with the new Tags still attached to the Right & Left Motor Arms, that are only missing: Retracts, Landing Gear, or Motor Arm Shrapnel's) I'm thinking customers just let the Repair Facility keep their drones, as the Price to Repair was to High and it wasn't worth repairing, or the Shipping to Return it (I also have a Few dozen of those).
If this is what Yuneec allotted for Repairs, the Program was Destined for Failure.
It takes 10-15 minutes just to get the Top Cover off without Breaking the Tabs........If you know what your doing.
Always been my Motto "You can't Fix Stupid".....and I'm not Referring to the Individual Removing a Top Cover.....
Not trying to feed the Fire but I have Documents, Letters, Notes, Memo's, Emails, and Programs that wouldn't help the current situation anyway, the Yuneec Website now Redirects to Yuneec EU, and they don't ship to the USA,
(i tried to place an order but Received a message stating they do not ship to the USA)......my Revenge is Keeping Our Birds in the Air!......so Jokes on them!;) ......I'm done beating this dead horse....

For the rates quoted in that list I wouldn’t bother taking out the tools to do the work. To make any money as the business owner you could not pay employees more than $5.00/hour is there was to be anything left after payroll taxes and shop overhead.

For the rates quoted in that list I wouldn’t bother taking out the tools to do the work. To make any money as the business owner you could not pay employees more than $5.00/hour is there was to be anything left after payroll taxes and shop overhead.
My thoughts exactly Pat, you & I are almost neighbors, I'm in Citrus Heights

Perhaps a valid point if only one item per unit was in need of repair.

How many crashes, especially newbie warranty claimed incidents resulted in a firmware reload and that’s all?

In most, I would surmise whole unit replacement would be more cost effective than repair. The problem arises when there is doubt or contention in the decision making process; when to call the patient “terminal” and forego further treatment.

Those stated rates don’t seem too far-fetched from what I recall with PC standard repair charges, back in the day when repair versus replace was the norm, when adjusted for comparison. “How can we do the work at those compensation levels?” Was asked more than a few times. When volumes and efficiencies over time are in consideration, it made more sense.

My guess is the real culprit in preventing a repair facility from staying in business isn’t the agreed upon compensation values, but rather the follow-through of receiving actual payments for services rendered. “Eating the bill” is not a sustainable business model.

Just a few thoughts, again...

Jeff

I'm thinking the guy who wrote this wasn't lying.
I also think that Yuneec's Silence Speaks Volumes.........
Agreed. I have seen other articles that are talking about Yuneecs financial problems. I just personally feel that Yuneec is removing itself from the US due to finance, poor management, government regulations, and much more. And now with Covid-19 instilling fear into society, many businesses are going under.

I checked on the shipping orders for Yuneec/USA and found it to be very interesting. As of 2019, there are NO orders. Here is the link to the site. You can see on this website the decline in shipping. It peaked in 2016.

From the website-
summery

Summary of yuneec usa and yuneec international china 's cooperation.
Between 2014 and 2017, yuneec usa ordered 27 shipments from yuneec international china .
In 2014, yuneec usa made up 0% of yuneec international china 's sales to USA. This number went to 13% by 2015 and 22% in 2016. In 2017, yuneec usa made up 28% of yuneec international china ’s sales to USA
yuneec international china products
  • 1.control
  • 2.airplane
  • 3.model
  • 4.electronic
  • 5.radio
yuneec usa ordered
  • 1.control
  • 2.airplane
  • 3.model
  • 4.radio
  • 5.electric1589046314344.png1589046314344.png

Reactions: thoneter
I've been eyeballing Yuneec for a long time. Most recently I've been wanting to purchase the H3. I've been reading things on the internet and what not about Yuneec's problems and after reading through this thread it prompted me to reach out to a store that carries Yuneec. The person who I chatted with informed me that they are still getting product from Yuneec and had just spoken with Yuneec this morning. I asked about rumors of them closing their US presence and was told that while they are going through a restructuring, they are not closing down their US presence.

Even after chatting with this person I'm still nervous about spending $2.5K on a product if the company appears to be unstable. :(

Reactions: Yuneec Skins
I've been eyeballing Yuneec for a long time. Most recently I've been wanting to purchase the H3. I've been reading things on the internet and what not about Yuneec's problems and after reading through this thread it prompted me to reach out to a store that carries Yuneec. The person who I chatted with informed me that they are still getting product from Yuneec and had just spoken with Yuneec this morning. I asked about rumors of them closing their US presence and was told that while they are going through a restructuring, they are not closing down their US presence.

Even after chatting with this person I'm still nervous about spending $2.5K on a product if the company appears to be unstable. :(
Your fears are honest. Many other Yuneec owners have tried to get in touch with someone at Yunnec and have not been able too. I have sent multiple emails myself with no response. I think most of us are seeing the signs of a company that is hurting. Remember this, with any business, an employee is not going to admit to something like this, especially a salesman.

Reactions: RickBlacker
Your fears are honest. Many other Yuneec owners have tried to get in touch with someone at Yunnec and have not been able too. I have sent multiple emails myself with no response. I think most of us are seeing the signs of a company that is hurting. Remember this, with any business, an employee is not going to admit to something like this, especially a salesman.
Well... It wasn't an employee of Yuneec I spoke with, rather someone at Vertigo Drones. But still... I'm taking what was said with a grain of salt.

You should take what was said with a grain of salt. Vertigo Drones is the last bastion of defense for Yuneec in the U.S. as they assumed the repair activities previously performed by a now bankrupt company they simply have to maintain a positive outlook. At least for outward appearences.

You should take what was said with a grain of salt. Vertigo Drones is the last bastion of defense for Yuneec in the U.S. as they assumed the repair activities previously performed by a now bankrupt company they simply have to maintain a positive outlook. At least for outward appearences.
Yeah, really sucks. I've been wanting a Typhoon for a long time, just was never ready to take the plunge and now when I am, things aren't going well for them.

It’s still a good bird. The 480 is well outdated in many ways now but works well. The H Plus, if you were to obtain one with a stable gimbal, would be a better option.

I would not touch an H-3. Yuneec’s initial firmware and firmware update history has been poor with the Plus and 520. With the manner Yuneec has (not) been handling things you would be in a world of hurt if you had an H3 misbehaving.

Reactions: RickBlacker
I'm not sure about anything regarding this company as a whole but I think their US division is struggling pretty hard. Another potential indicator, and this is pure speculation, is I've recently seen 2 different asset management & liquidation companies on eBay posting for sale a large supply of new Yuneec product at massive discounted prices which leads me to think Yuneec US might have possibly liquidated their US remaining inventory to these wholesale liquidation companies. Just my observation and thoughts. It was a great opportunity for me to pick up an H920 plus though. Brand new with CGO4, ProAction, case and 3 batteries delivered for only $2075. I had always wanted one since they were released. I've owned nearly every drone on the market except the H920...until now ?

KAV didn't go Bankrupt the Owner called it quits with Yuneec, and stopped repairing Drones, Ken-a-Vision also did not go out of business, they are alive and well, Just KAV Service has been dismantled

JD Flyer, I agree. It's a shame, Yuneec as a company has always intrigued me and they were one of the first true worldwide consumer drone manufacturers. They had some great ideas and decent technology but like GoPro, 3DR and Parrot, unfortunately, they were just eclipsed by DJI and were never able to catch up. I operate a drone business I started in 2014 and I also had a retail store for the first 3 years and like everyone else, I am reliant on DJI products out of pure necessity. I hate the fact I have no options but honestly there hasn't been another drone company that even comes close to their tech and price point. I had high hopes for Yuneec but they just sort of fizzled out...

Interesting thread. It can be frustrating to find ownership of private Chinese companies.

Yuneec, especially here in the USA, certainly has had good/bad relationships with us, the customers. At times seeming to give new replacements even for probable owner-caused problems, then going to hear-nothing do-nothing customer service.

Many of these Yuneec USA problems/decisions may have been caused by over-eager American managers, but in any company the direction and ultimate responsibility rests with the owner(s). Tian Yu, as others have said, started Yuneec and did seem to be an electro-mechanical genius. His business ability obviously did not shine as well, and the decision was made to let his wife, Wen Yan Jiang, also in English called Jiang Wenyan, become Yuneec's CEO. Note that Chinese wives retain their own name at marriage. Although over time they have let others, including a son, operate as CEOs, to this day they, husband and wife, are still the primary owners.

To those of us who own and operate Yuneec craft, none of the above matters. What we, I anyway, want and need is service and parts availability. Hope springs eternal, even in the midst of this horrible virus. I believe we will have Yuneec service and parts here in the USA (AND an end, or control, of the virus)...in due time. Also we need to appreciate the Lackey family for continuing to provide the Yuneec Forum to us.

Please stay safe

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430