Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Anyone play this? Having troble posting?

Looked good, after about 2 minutes watching I was mentally telling you to pan down to get less sky.... Then at about 3.50 you Di and much better. It's already been mentioned earlier I see. Know nothing about the H yet... And you know why! but seems to be something in the auto settings. How high were you there?

I think this could be fixed in firmware honestly...if it would bias the exposure towards the bottom half it would cure most of this and generally get better exposure considering most of the time there will be some sky in the shot.

Hopefully they're listening, it'll help out with all these comparisons floating around.
Many pro cameras have a Hardware switch for compensation. The H being a consumer device does not as far as I know.

DC, you told me on the phone that you had your settings on sunny. Perhaps you should try a similar setting in cloudy mode and see if that performs better. With the bright white clouds I'd guess/estimate that throws exposure down one stop which is going to make shadows that much darker. The dynamic range of most cameras I believe is about 4 stops but maybe that is different these days as I haven't really kept up with that for quite a while. Even my mobile phone has a camera setting (not video) for HDR and I believe that is making two exposures and combining the highlights of one with the shadows of another to help compensate for this issue. We aren't given any clue as to the metering characteristics of the camera on our H and I don't know if it's taking an average over the entire scene or what. It would be nice to be able to adjust that but I don't know if other units provide for that option either. Perhaps DJI cameras give heavier weighting for metering lower in the scene, I don't really know but each can have disadvantages. If your shadows are exposed properly your clouds will not be. A quick scan of reviews for the CGO3 report good dynamic range and I would doubt we'd be seeing anything worse with our version so it's going to be a matter of metering and you can try to adjust that in your video editing.

Looked good, after about 2 minutes watching I was mentally telling you to pan down to get less sky.... Then at about 3.50 you Di and much better. It's already been mentioned earlier I see. Know nothing about the H yet... And you know why! but seems to be something in the auto settings. How high were you there?
250 feet up yonder, Thanks for imput Chris, With the "other" drones I fly I have never worried about panning down or up, and the auto adjust made videos quite nice for auto mode, so I guess this is a Yuneec (unique) thing? !LOL:confused:

Reactions: Chris McMillan
You've probably already tried this but have you used ND filters on any flight....and could they improve highlight/lowlight balance?
I have not on the H and I have not purchased a set yet, did on my Phantom's, but rarely needed them as there auto balance was extremely functional

Hey guys, took my girl up for two flights today and she flew amazing !!!! So I finally installed one of the polar pro ND filters I purchased and was playing with the auto setting. As you can see in the picture, it looks grainy to me. Could it be I used the wrong filter, wrong auto settings???? Any advice would be great !!!!

Attachments

• YUN00027.jpg
    YUN00027.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
  • YUN00026.jpg
    YUN00026.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
was it on auto? ND don't work on auto, your camera setting should be frames per second times 2 for shutter speed, i.e 24 fps and 50 iso

DC, it was on auto ISO was at 100 and shutter speed 1/250
Then that was close to what you are looking for ! What grade ND did you have on, ND4, 16 or higher with that kind of cloud cover, if sun was behind clouds, a 4 would be about as high as you'd want. I am not a Photography buff by all means! Know only what I have read and tried. Maybe some of the others on here are better equipped to comment!, but nice view ! I am so happy you received your H and had her successfully in the air !;)

Reactions: PRnNJs FINEST
Yeah, I think it was the filter itself, I had a ND 8 on it and it was cloudy as heck. I will try the ND4 tomorrow to see. Glad your having fun with yours as well my friend !!!!!!

Reactions: DroneClone
Yeah, I think it was the filter itself, I had a ND 8 on it and it was cloudy as heck. I will try the ND4 tomorrow to see. Glad your having fun with yours as well my friend !!!!!!
That will probably work better, unless it's really sunny then the 8 will work!

Hey guys, took my girl up for two flights today and she flew amazing !!!! So I finally installed one of the polar pro ND filters I purchased and was playing with the auto setting. As you can see in the picture, it looks grainy to me. Could it be I used the wrong filter, wrong auto settings???? Any advice would be great !!!!
From a photography standpoint...higher ISO causes a lot of that noise. I'd guess the ND filter was too dark and it had to compensate by making it a higher ISO so the shutter speed didn't get too slow. ISO is the "gain" of the sensor, lower numbers are better to get a cleaner image. Put it in a low ISO (instead of auto) with an ND4 (or none at all) and see how it does.

EDIT: Guess I should have read further. Disregard the ISO advice since it looks like you had it set pretty low. Just looked at the pic and started in :)

DC, it was on auto ISO was at 100 and shutter speed 1/250
The metadata for both photos shows the ISO is set at 800. For a camera with with this sensor, that's pretty high and will likely cause noise. You probably had the camera set for Auto ISO.

Also, it's my understanding that you want to use ND filters to get the shutter speed to double the frame rate in video. (1/60 sec for 30 fps, 1/125 sec for 60 fps, etc...) ND filters actually make still photography worse. They reduce the amount of light coming in, so the camera either slows the shutter or raises the ISO, neither of which are good for stills. I recommend not using an ND filter for taking still images.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hendrtiz