Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Anyone tried extending Mantis' range?

So both antennas are 5.8 GHz? I am surprised that at least the RC output is not 2.4 GHz to help increase range.

I’ve seen the MIB nomenclature on a couple of your photos. Does it represent ‘Made in Bavaria’ or ‘Men in Black’?;)

So both antennas are 5.8 GHz? I am surprised that at least the RC output is not 2.4 GHz to help increase range.

I’ve seen the MIB nomenclature on a couple of your photos. Does it represent ‘Made in Bavaria’ or ‘Men in Black’?;)
First nice Interpretation [emoji41] good Idea im located near Ulm ( Bavaria)

To answer your question I think yuneec has implemented 5.8 all in one stream control and video streaming as we know before from the breeze. The technique is a mix from cgo 3 pixhawk 3dr,and so on ...Regards M.C.20190106_120625.jpeg20190106_120603.jpeg

Now I can understand why you did the antenna mod. Especially in Europe where they severely impede power output on 5.8 GHz.

IMG_1546825895.450144.jpgIMG_1546826015.952608.jpgIMG_1546826068.466103.jpgIMG_1546826161.118909.jpg

Did the mod to the controller, although I probably need a bigger patch antenna, my range went up around 200 meters. The curious thing is that when is still relatively close the connection indicator shows low ( 1 or 2 bars) but stays like that up to between 600 to 700 meters, in the same area where I was getting 450 meters. Still when I turn the drone facing me the connection gets really bad.
Does anybody knows wish side of the antennas in the controller is what rx and tx? And maybe explain a little bit more about Yuneec using 5.8ghz as tx and rx, I really thought that the tx was 2.4ghz.
Also, do you think that installing that clover leaf antenna in the drone would fix the bad connection when the drone is facing me? Thanks!

View attachment 13551View attachment 13552View attachment 13553View attachment 13554

Did the mod to the controller, although I probably need a bigger patch antenna, my range went up around 200 meters. The curious thing is that when is still relatively close the connection indicator shows low ( 1 or 2 bars) but stays like that up to between 600 to 700 meters, in the same area where I was getting 450 meters. Still when I turn the drone facing me the connection gets really bad.
Does anybody knows wish side of the antennas in the controller is what rx and tx? And maybe explain a little bit more about Yuneec using 5.8ghz as tx and rx, I really thought that the tx was 2.4ghz.
Also, do you think that installing that clover leaf antenna in the drone would fix the bad connection when the drone is facing me? Thanks!
Hello again

The standart patch Antenna you use is the smaller one (Tbs fpv analog frequency range with lower gain you have to use a bigger one and she has to be optimised to the frequency the mantis wifi use its not the same bandwidth !

The original pcb Antenna is a simple dipol placed on a very bad position directly over the compass module in the back blocked by battery block inside the case ....I think you take the Antenna out from these position and you will win. 20190107_103150.jpeg20190107_103132.jpeg20181206_175033.jpeg20181110_174106.jpeg

Thank you very much for the reply! I will try to find a better antenna, my knowledge about antennas and communication is not great.

Reactions: mibcam
Here are a Foto of the 5.8 Antenna Kit i built up for my mantis .View attachment 13516
Hey there! I just recently got one of these mantis drones, and I have trouble going further than about 950' out at an altitude of 200'. I was hoping to make this mod, but I can't find the kit showed here on the dronetrade.com website. Would you mind sending me a link? Also, is the patch antenna you installed on the drone necessary if I plan to make this mod to my controller. Sorry, I'm just new to this whole drone thing. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey there! I just recently got one of these mantis drones, and I have trouble going further than about 950' out at an altitude of 200'. I was hoping to make this mod, but I can't find the kit showed here on the dronetrade.com website. Would you mind sending me a link? Also, is the patch antenna you installed on the drone necessary if I plan to make this mod to my controller. Sorry, I'm just new to this whole drone thing. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Did you install the updates? The range has improved significantly now after the updates. When Mantis came out I got 350m tops. Now 600m is reachable, and I heard about people getting even more than the specs say.

Hi everyone, and what a great topic here. Got Mantis Q not so long ago as my first drone to see what's it's like to fly a user friendly drone and must admit I really like it. Just a same problem I have is the range, I just get over 200m in the open fields, despite of altitude, and it loses the signal. Maybe my chunky smartphone has something to do with this as well as I'm using CAT S60 with a controller which is made of thick aluminium frame. Also I live in the UK so reduced range due to European regulations.

Started thinking of upgrading controller antennas and maybe antenna on the drone itself and I ended up here going through this thread. Some very good insight I found here and started doing my own research on RF bands, etc.

Managed to find some interesting information with RF test results on FCC ID website, although this information is more relevant to Mantis drones selling in the US as rules there are different with regards to frequency bands and signal strength, so maybe need to dig deeper and I may find similar info for European version.

Anyhow, I'd like to cut long story short and ask forum members if you could provide any information that may help me out search for suitable antennas, what particular band range for Europe, what Gain strength to go for, omni or linear, polarization, etc. As it's not really my cup of tea when it comes to redesigning radio equipment, and thanks to all the information already posted in this thread, I find it very useful in getting the picture of what I should be doing to improve range on my Mantis Q.

Cheers

Vic

1500m nw range

Attachments

• 20190729_152258.jpg
    20190729_152258.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 72
Last edited:
[QUOTE = "blinkt, post: 197557, član: 21539"]
Je li ovo u SAD-u?
[/ CITAT]
Ne, u Hrvatskoj

Translation:
[QUOTE = "blink, post: 197557, member: 21539"]
Is this in the US?
[/ CITAT]
No, in Croatia

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Atros
Ja sam iz Slovenije i nikako ne mogu da predjem vise nego 250 do 300 metara neznam u cemu je problem imas kaku ideju sta da uradim?

Translation:
I am from Slovenia and I cannot walk more than 250 to 300 meters. I do not know what the problem is. Do you have any idea what to do?

[QUOTE = "blinkt, post: 197557, član: 21539"]
Je li ovo u SAD-u?
[/ CITAT]
Ne, u Hrvatskoj

[QUOTE = "blinkt, post: 197638, član: 21539"]
Ja sam iz Slovenije i nikako ne mogu da predem više nego 250 do 300 metara ne znam u cemu je problem imas kaku ideju sta da uradim?
[/ Cita
Ja sam stavio vanjsku antenu, isto mi je domet bio kratki kao i kod tebe, sada mogu i do 1500m ali negde na 70m visine. Ova slika je od danas na 40m visine i 1070m daljine.
Imam u planu stviti drugfacije antene na samom daljinskom kontroleru.

Translation:
[QUOTE = "blink, post: 197638, member: 21539"]
I am from Slovenia and I cannot walk more than 250 to 300 meters. I do not know what the problem is. Do you have any idea what to do?
[/ Quote
I put on an external antenna, my range was as short as yours, now I can go up to 1500m but somewhere at 70m high. This picture is from today at 40m height and 1070m distance.
I plan to design different antennas on the remote controller itself.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-07-31-11-37-15.png
    Screenshot_2019-07-31-11-37-15.png
    2 MB · Views: 59
  • 20190729_152258.jpg
    20190729_152258.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 51
Kako bi mogo i ja da to uradim imas li kaki tutorial da i ja stavim neku antenu

Translation:
How can I do this if you have any tutorial for me to put an antenna on

[QUOTE = "blinkt, post: 197638, član: 21539"]
Ja sam iz Slovenije i nikako ne mogu da predem više nego 250 do 300 metara ne znam u cemu je problem imas kaku ideju sta da uradim?
[/ Cita
Ja sam stavio vanjsku antenu, isto mi je domet bio kratki kao i kod tebe, sada mogu i do 1500m ali negde na 70m visine. Ova slika je od danas na 40m visine i 1070m daljine.
Imam u planu stviti drugfacije antene na samom daljinskom kontroleru.

[QUOTE = "dklari, post: 197698, član: 21254"]
[QUOTE = "blinkt, post: 197663, član: 21539"]
Kako bih mogao i ja uradim imas li kaki tutorial da ja ostavim neku antenu
im
[/CITAT]

Reactions: blinkt
Tako sam ja uradio

Translation:
That's what I did

Moze napravit takvu antenu za mene ja cu ti platit ako treba molim te odakle si iz hrvatske

Translation:
He can make such an antenna for me and I'll pay you if you need me to come from Croatia

Tako sam ja uradio

[QUOTE = "blinkt, post: 197905, član: 21539"]
Moze napraviti takvu antenu za mene i cu ti platiti ako treba molim te odakle si iz hrvatsk
Ja sam 30km istocno od Varazdina.

Daj molim te napravi jednu za mene pa nekako da preko pošte se dogovorimo samo reci cjenu

Translation:
Please make one for me so somehow we can arrange it by mail only to say the price

[QUOTE = "blinkt, post: 197905, član: 21539"]
Moze napraviti takvu antenu za mene i cu ti platiti ako treba molim te odakle si iz hrvatsk
Ja sam 30km istocno od Varazdina.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430