Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Are my videos to long

Are my videos to long

• yes they are to long

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • no they are fine

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ged

Reaction score
Hi everyone,i have recently made a couple videos with my typhoon H (i have only had it a few weeks)and when i view them i find it so difficult to just upload a small length say 3 or 4 minutes when i have some what i think is really good footage.I purchased Filmora to do the editing on but my editing skills are not up to scratch yet.I have added these links for you to view and would really appreciate any feedback on how to improve my skills.Thank you so much everyone.

You're off to a good start! Great locations too.

Editing has to be ruthless - a video needs to be 'about' something, have a clear subject. If you spend time just panning around, people are left wondering what they're meant to be focusing on. For instance in the Castle video, are you showing us the castle, the town or the sea? It also helps to think in photographic terms - keep the shots that frame the view and obey the various composition rules. Ditch the parts where you're moving a subject into frame or getting into position.

On the whole a cut will tend to be of one motion, so the moment you're reversing direction of pan, or changing from a lift reveal to a pan, you have a different cut and probably should be editing something out. Changing the camera movement leaves viewers disoriented - what are you going to do next?

If these are your first couple of videos, you've got a lot to be very pleased with - let's hope the weather continues!

Reactions: Ged
Hi everyone,i have recently made a couple videos with my typhoon H (i have only had it a few weeks)and when i view them i find it so difficult to just upload a small length say 3 or 4 minutes when i have some what i think is really good footage.I purchased Filmora to do the editing on but my editing skills are not up to scratch yet.I have added these links for you to view and would really appreciate any feedback on how to improve my skills.Thank you so much everyone.

Yes, far too long. I love watching UAV videos but even the best would be lucky to hold my attention for more than 3 or 4 minutes. Saying that what you have created, apart from the length is very good.
Did you check this info before flying in Snowdonia ;
Eryri - Snowdonia
I am in Devon, UAV's are strictly not allowed on Dartmoor National Park.
Dartmoor rangers are apparently receiving special training (whatever that might be) to deal with UAV use in the area.

Interesting that you cannot fly a UAV but you can walk a sheep savaging dog as much as you like.....

Yep. Too long.
Personally I find that for videos I produce, anything more than 3 or 4 minutes long is too long since all I'm doing is showing repeated scenes. The exception to this is if I've done multiple flights to cover a very large area and scenes are not repeated but, even then, the longest video I've produced was only 10 minutes long.

You also need to consider your audience's attention span and are they likely to get bored? For example, unless someone else's video is particularly interesting, I will avoid watching it if I notice it is more than a few minutes long and if I do watch a lengthy video I will tend to skip through it.

As Tuna has said, you need to be ruthless in editing. For example, I shot 29 minutes of footage with my H a few days ago over the course of two flights and finished up with an edited 3 minutes video and I thought that was a bit lengthy given the subject matter.

Unless you have a good reason, aim to have an edited video not much more than 3 minutes long and remember that a video of only 1.5 minutes long can convey just as much as a longer video and have less chance of boring the viewer.

Editing has to be ruthless - a video needs to be 'about' something, have a clear subject. If you spend time just panning around, people are left wondering what they're meant to be focusing on. For instance in the Castle video, are you showing us the castle, the town or the sea? It also helps to think in photographic terms - keep the shots that frame the view and obey the various composition rules. Ditch the parts where you're moving a subject into frame or getting into position.

On the whole a cut will tend to be of one motion, so the moment you're reversing direction of pan, or changing from a lift reveal to a pan, you have a different cut and probably should be editing something out. Changing the camera movement leaves viewers disoriented - what are you going to do next?

If these are your first couple of videos, you've got a lot to be very pleased with - let's hope the weather continues!
Tuna,Thank you so much for your reply,i appreciate you taking the time to explain to explain to me as you have it has helped me understand much more clearly.I think one of my problems has been i have had a love of photography for many years (still) and when i see a subject be it,landscape or whatever,i just want to capture as much of the scene as possible and this has wandered over into the videos i am taking.What i have learned form you reply is how better to edit my videos and i just keep the rest of the whole video for my own viewing.In the castle video especially i wanted to show the WHOLE area as its so beautiful!! again thanks for your reply the second paragraph explained just what i needed to do.:))

Yes, far too long. I love watching UAV videos but even the best would be lucky to hold my attention for more than 3 or 4 minutes. Saying that what you have created, apart from the length is very good.
Did you check this info before flying in Snowdonia ;
Eryri - Snowdonia
I am in Devon, UAV's are strictly not allowed on Dartmoor National Park.
Dartmoor rangers are apparently receiving special training (whatever that might be) to deal with UAV use in the area.

Interesting that you cannot fly a UAV but you can walk a sheep savaging dog as much as you like.....
Hi thanks for your reply,much appreciated.Firstly yes i did check about flying where we did.I have just answered Tuna who replied to my post and i can now understand the need to edit my videos to make them shorter.AS i explained to Tuna i have been a still photographer for many years (i had some of my pictures shown in a local newspaper :)) and i just tried to cram as much as possible into the video,i now realise i need to.."Edit for the public viewing and keep the rest for my own viewing" :)
And yes it doesn't make sense that there are areas in the country where we can't fly but crazy dogs(and their owners in some circumstances) are free to wander around,i live in north wales and see a lot of this going on!!

Yep. Too long.
Personally I find that for videos I produce, anything more than 3 or 4 minutes long is too long since all I'm doing is showing repeated scenes. The exception to this is if I've done multiple flights to cover a very large area and scenes are not repeated but, even then, the longest video I've produced was only 10 minutes long.

You also need to consider your audience's attention span and are they likely to get bored? For example, unless someone else's video is particularly interesting, I will avoid watching it if I notice it is more than a few minutes long and if I do watch a lengthy video I will tend to skip through it.

As Tuna has said, you need to be ruthless in editing. For example, I shot 29 minutes of footage with my H a few days ago over the course of two flights and finished up with an edited 3 minutes video and I thought that was a bit lengthy given the subject matter.

Unless you have a good reason, aim to have an edited video not much more than 3 minutes long and remember that a video of only 1.5 minutes long can convey just as much as a longer video and have less chance of boring the viewer.
Thanks for your reply.Because of yours and others replies i now understand that even though i might enjoy watching a video i made that might be 15 minutes long if i am going to upload it for public viewing i need to think about the viewer and not how i enjoy it.As i said in my other reply as an amateur photographer i try and capture as much as possible a scene that catches my eye and this is what i did with the videos,but that doesn't mean everyone else sees it as i do,in future i will edit the vids down to no more than say 5 minutes and keep the rest for my own viewing.

Make your movements and turns more fluid. Don't stop moving when you change the camera pitch or yawing. You could have cut off the first 2:40 of the video and started it at 2:41. At 4:41 you could have cut out some time just sitting there looking at the village.

I like how you flew over the top of the castle and looked down on it. Could you have gotten lower to get closeup views of the castle and the surrounding hillside. I thought those might be sheep on the hillside facing the ocean. Those little white dots. I like the beach on the other side of the castle. Maybe fly straight over the castle (but closer) then down the far hillside to that beach. Okay I will stop rambling now. Ha Ha.

You are off to a good start and what a cool place to practice your skills. I would love to be able to come fly there. I have been to Wales before. My step father is from Abergavenny. It is a beautiful country with wonderful friendly people.

The H can over produce to some degree because every shot is potentially good. Before the H when I used a GoPro with a Chroma, I would edit out all the many clunky moves and be left with good footage I could cross dissolve in and out of to make my videos. I would then often edit the edit again and clean out any other stiff and boring moves. With the H since I rarely have shake almost everything is good to use so now I log my clips and work on repeating shots with the edit already planned. Story boarding your shot and flight can make for more concise flight moves that make editing in theory easier.

When I do a shoot that is for myself, not a commercial job, I start out with a Point Of Interest in mind and have generally done a bit of research on the area using Google Earth to plan take-off sites and plan scenes. This generally means that I have got the main footage or photographs that I've set out to get with only one flight battery.

But using just one battery is boring so I always try to have a secondary Point Of Interest within LOS distance of my position and if there's nothing else of interest to focus on I'll just use a second battery to have a fly around to get 'atmosphere' shots.

For example, I was out on Wednesday to do a shoot (for me) around a beautiful pond that was located near to a major reservoir's spillway to the West of Rochdale (Lancashire U.K.). I'd got all I needed within just a few minutes and could easily have landed with a battery barely used. I knew that this would be the case when I set out so I'd also planned a second and third POI and finished up using two batteries. The resulting edit was good because not only did I have good shots of my primary POI but I also had good footage from the other POI to make the video interesting.
By The Way, I can't upload that video here because it was from an aircraft that wasn't a Typhoon H.

Hi guys,having taken into account everything you have all said I have now edited what was a 15 minute video down to 5minutes your opinions are greatly appreciated....

Yep. Too long.

Thanks again for the advice,as i said in my earlier reply to your post the second paragraph you wrote really explained things to me.I had this video sitting on my pc and not wanting to mess it around to much after reading what you had to say i decided to be ruthless and "go for it" and this is the result.The length of the original was just short of 15 minutes and i got it down to a tad over 5 minutes,your opinion of this video would be very appreciated.Thank you so much

Reactions: Niblett
I agree: Far better, but still can be improved upon. I think it could have benefited with more cuts to remove the bits where you are lining up for shots (tilting the cam, etc) and use dissolves at the cut points.

Rhuddlan Castle is one of Wales' gems but I think you could still do it justice in two or three minutes of video.

One more point. I'm not sure about using the 'scratchy film' mask at the end. Maybe it may be good at the start of the video clearing into normal...but not sure about at the end. It's just an observation.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval