Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

The Process of editing 4K video

Had an opportunity to upgrade from windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro, so I took it.
What a difference. I can actually play raw 4K video. Still a bit choppy, but I have not tweaked any settings yet. I was getting so frustrated with having to down grade the videos to HD before I could even attempt to manipulate them.
Now to reload a few of the editors and try again.
Ya. Windows 10 handles videos better than previous versions.

Something not mentioned thus far is different frame rates. This becomes important if you have shot videos in 4k, 3840, and 1080 using different frame rates and you want to splice them together. Let's say you shot some 3840 at 30fps and you want to down edit the 3840 to splice with some 1080 you shot at 25fps. You can down edit the 3840 to 1080 with no problems but after splicing to the 1080 you save the file to 1080-30. During play back the video exhibits numerous small starts and stops. That will be caused by upping the saved video using a higher frame rate than what the 1080 had been recorded. The data necessary to fill the gap between 25fps and 30fps just isn't there. Message here is to save a combined file at the lowest frame rate of the group.

Pat,
Excellent point.
I found that out the hard way playing around last night.
Today I went out and maiden my Ranger EX (fixed wing), shot some video with it, and my H. I found that I forget to check the camera settings WB before takeoff. Today I remembered to check, and use the highest resolution at 30FPS to match the frame rate of the Foxeer camera mounted on the Ranger. I finally settled on using Filmora for now.
So here is my first rendition of a mixed media source video. 2 video cameras, and one still camera. Had a 3rd video camera but none of the shots were in focus. I post it here not for dissection of the video quality (which is not the best) but more as an example of what you can do.

Lessons learned so far:
Check camera frame rates
Check White Balance (don't assume it is still set on what you last used)
Load all the media you are going to use in one place, don't be swapping memory cards in and out, or searching around on your hard drive.
Edit the individual clips you are going to use first and save them (in edited format)
Then put everything together.
So here we go......have at it.

Holy Moly! That Ranger is a bad boy. Great flying exhibition, and your video ain't bad either. The H took the air shots, right?
More, more!

Yes aerial was from the H.
Used a Foxeer camera on the Ranger.
Have to turn off the date stamp on it.
The down link video from the ranger that has a HUD overlay was not usable.

Pat,
Excellent point.
I found that out the hard way playing around last night.
Today I went out and maiden my Ranger EX (fixed wing), shot some video with it, and my H. I found that I forget to check the camera settings WB before takeoff. Today I remembered to check, and use the highest resolution at 30FPS to match the frame rate of the Foxeer camera mounted on the Ranger. I finally settled on using Filmora for now.
So here is my first rendition of a mixed media source video. 2 video cameras, and one still camera. Had a 3rd video camera but none of the shots were in focus. I post it here not for dissection of the video quality (which is not the best) but more as an example of what you can do.

Lessons learned so far:
Check camera frame rates
Check White Balance (don't assume it is still set on what you last used)
Load all the media you are going to use in one place, don't be swapping memory cards in and out, or searching around on your hard drive.
Edit the individual clips you are going to use first and save them (in edited format)
Then put everything together.
So here we go......have at it.
Nice mixed media presentation. Good music too.
Be careful not to overuse fancy transitions. They can become distracting. I like quick simple cross-fades for most transitions.
Keep up the good work, Bob.

Reactions: Bosse_A
Be careful not to overuse fancy transitions. They can become distracting. I like quick simple cross-fades for most transitions.

Yes. The numerous transitions that come prepackaged in many video editing products appeal to amateur videographers, and understandably so - they're easy eye-candy. But the pros avoid them for the reason you state. You never see them in commercially-produced movies.

Yes. The numerous transitions that come prepackaged in many video editing products appeal to amateur videographers, and understandably so - they're easy eye-candy. But the pros avoid them for the reason you state. You never see them in commercially-produced movies.
I only use simple fades or dissolves in my work. Usually a fade after the title indent and simple dissolves in the body of the video, and a fade at the end. Indeed, my most recent videos have I have started to use less dissolves and I think my videos have improved.

IMHO transitions should be uses sparingly and when they are used they should only be used in appropriate places where they add to the video. Fancy transitions can make a video look cheesy.

Well did take one piece of advice.
Bought a 2TB USB hard drive. Keep all my videos and photos on that and just move em over to the laptops SSD when I want to edit. Bonus I can now keep an ISO image of my laptop on it as well.

Reactions: Rubik

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval