Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Auto Take-off, Orbit Mode and Complete loss of Control. Horrible crash.

I am going to make a suggestion as others on this site have and purchase a cheap drone to practice with. A good Typhoon H surrogate is the MJX X600 Hexacopter for under $60

https://www.amazon.com/MJX-Channel-...e=UTF8&qid=1524837539&sr=8-1&keywords=mjx+600

Another option is the Syma X5C Quadcopter for under $30

https://www.amazon.com/Syma-2-4G-Ca...s&keywords=syma+x5c&psc=1&smid=A3IAN4VN1Q26HU

The Typhoon H simulator is also a good idea if nothing else than to get familiar with the ST16 and it's controls, but nothing replaces flying a good trainer drone. Both of these are good to learn on and the Syma is as light as a feather and nearly impossible to break, at least when I've been 100' up, shut off the power and just let it drop, no damage over the yard. The MJX X600 isn't as floaty and behaves more like the H.

Use one of these 'beater' drones to hone your piloting skills so they become second nature and don't rely on the built in auto flight controls to fly for you. They are a great assist but not perfect or a replacement for the pilot. Just like the Tesla auto pilot doesn't make it a self driving car. Yet. You still need to know how to drive and be licensed.

Your situation is indeed unique (without knowing more of the facts) and it may be that since it started off badly there may have been no way to recover from it however, most everyone here and Yuneec says to take off in Angle mode first, then switch to Smart mode once you are in the air. Fly around a bit and don't worry initially about retracting the landing gear, just get comfortable with the bird, then switch mack to Angle mode to land. Get comfortable with landing, then while on the ground holding the left stick down until the motor sound changes, power off. Do this repeatedly through several battery recharges.

I've personally taken off by mistake in Smart mode and the Typhoon H is unresponsive while it's inside the safety circle and geofence. None of my control we responding they way they should and the H seemed to have a mind of it's own.

There is a lot to know as a pilot in addition to knowing camera operations, etc. For a new pilot it can really make your head spin.

To date, I have never used the RTH function with my H.
I am going to make a suggestion as others on this site have and purchase a cheap drone to practice with. A good Typhoon H surrogate is the MJX X600 Hexacopter for under $60

https://www.amazon.com/MJX-Channel-...e=UTF8&qid=1524837539&sr=8-1&keywords=mjx+600

https://www.amazon.com/Syma-2-4G-Ca...s&keywords=syma+x5c&psc=1&smid=A3IAN4VN1Q26HU

The Typhoon H simulator is also a good idea if nothing else than to get familiar with the ST16 and it's controls, but nothing replaces flying a good trainer drone. Both of these are good to learn on and the Syma is as light as a feather and nearly impossible to break, at least when I've been 100' up, shut off the power and just let it drop, no damage over the yard. The MJX X600 isn't as floaty and behaves more like the H.

Use one of these 'beater' drones to hone your piloting skills so they become second nature and don't rely on the built in auto flight controls to fly for you. They are a great assist but not perfect or a replacement for the pilot. Just like the Tesla auto pilot doesn't make it a self driving car. Yet. You still need to know how to drive and be licensed.

Your situation is indeed unique (without knowing more of the facts) and it may be that since it started off badly there may have been no way to recover from it however, most everyone here and Yuneec says to take off in Angle mode first, then switch to Smart mode once you are in the air. Fly around a bit and don't worry initially about retracting the landing gear, just get comfortable with the bird, then switch mack to Angle mode to land. Get comfortable with landing, then while on the ground holding the left stick down until the motor sound changes, power off. Do this repeatedly through several battery recharges.

I've personally taken off by mistake in Smart mode and the Typhoon H is unresponsive while it's inside the safety circle and geofence. None of my control we responding they way they should and the H seemed to have a mind of it's own.

There is a lot to know as a pilot in addition to knowing camera operations, etc. For a new pilot it can really make your head spin.

Gwhuntoon, very interesting when you say start in Angle (as I Always do) then switch to fly in Smart (never done that) and land in Angle. Never thought about it. Is there any disadvantages to fly and "video" in Smart mode? What to think about? Must be the easiest way to fly the drone in Smart! Especially when you are in narrow areas or far away, but still well in LOS.

Last edited:
I’m by far not as experienced as some of the guys here, but having an h as well , I have no auto take off feature on my st-16.
If you get warranty assistance, before you fly,there is a wealth of information and videos here that I suggest you watch before you fly again. You will find that calibration and a 12 minute wait period for gps is also key.

Thank you for the advice.

I’m by far not as experienced as some of the guys here, but having an h as well , I have no auto take off feature on my st-16.
If you get warranty assistance, before you fly,there is a wealth of information and videos here that I suggest you watch before you fly again. You will find that calibration and a 12 minute wait period for gps is also key.

There is an auto take off mode if using the ST-16 in the H-920 mode.

I think the OP should buy a few lottery tickets. To call Yuneec U.S. twice and getting the same person, and getting through while the bird is still in the air to troubleshoot it, is absolutely incredible.

Reactions: gwhuntoon
There is an auto take off mode if using the ST-16 in the H-920 mode.

I think the OP should buy a few lottery tickets. To call Yuneec U.S. twice and getting the same person, and getting through while the bird is still in the air to troubleshoot it, is absolutely incredible.

As mentioned above, had never, ever called them before yesterday. Had no issues talking to them. I actually praise them for their responsiveness.

I would too[emoji4] They haven’t been that responsive for at least a year. You were quite lucky, twice! My call to them this morning rewarded me with a 29 minute wait time, which is a little better than the wait time for several other calls placed over the last 8 months.

Gwhuntoon, very interesting when you say start in Angle (as I Always do) then switch to fly in Smart (never done that) and land in Angle. Never thought about it. Is there any disadvantages to fly and "video" in Smart mode? What to think about? Must be the easiest way to fly the drone in Smart! Especially when you are in narrow areas or far away, but still well in LOS.
In angle mode you are in control. Some of the functions like Curve Cable, Journey, etc. require Smart Mode and GPS/Compass to function and are basically pre-programmed and automated. When I take off and land, I want to be in control unless I'm using an automated function requiring Smart Mode. Yes Smart Mode is easier once you are flying to coordinate automated flying functions while you control the camera. I think of Smart Mode like an AI pilot in a pseudo 'Team Mode' scenario. Not really Team Mode but Smart mode frees the pilot to be the photographer/videographer. Once done, IMHO, the pilot should take over and be in control. I think of Smart Mode of more like a secondary helper function, it shouldn't be used as a replacement for the pilot. You are the captain, you are in control, not the machine.

Last edited:
I concur with the rest of the group, smart mode taking off is the issue.

highly suggest using a low budget training drone.

Sounds to me like gwhuntoon nailed the issue based on his experience with the same drone.

I have a question somewhat unrelated but still relevant. I have a non-profit media production company and just purchased 4 Yuneek Typhoon Q500 4K drones for use in the production of music videos. The comments here are the first time I have heard of a simulator and I have been through videos and manuals at length. Is there a simulator available for the Typhoon? If so, where can I find it? It sounds like a great first step to actually flying the drone.

Did you 'Bind' the H to the controller first? I assume so otherwise I doubt you would be able to start the motors with the controller. Just thinking out loud.

It sounds like your troubles started when you put it in Orbit mode. It's as though it got stuck there, waiting for the next action (tap "Set Center Point"). Everything else was ignored.

As far as the unexpected altitude, are you sure that you didn't get feet and meters mixed up when setting the ceiling or reading the altitude? Easy to do :confused:.

I'm curious if there was some issue with how high the drone "thought" ground level was? That may explain why it went so much higher than the setting?

I would definitely agree with most others here that the absolute best way to learn to fly any new drone is in "angle" or "manual" mode. Only after you know how the bird responds to manual inputs and identify any unique quirks, etc. will it be a good time to begin to explore the "smart" modes it offers :)

I'm confused with the whole scenario. Were you on the phone with Yuneec when you took off? They recommended for you to take off in smart/auto mode? Auto take off? I have only had problems taking off or not receiving GPS satellites this last winter when I tried to take off from the roof of my vehicle. There was too much interference and unable to obtain GPS. Another time was when I was doing a real estate video in anti area that was within 5 miles of the local airport, and I was able to take off but smart mode function was disable. I would like to note here that my height did not exceed 40 feet max and the minimum altitude of planes in that area would be approximately 300+ feet. A little less for smaller aircraft but not much. I saw a key statement, and one I see often was this was my first flight. I just can't figure out why you decided on an urban setting for your first flight. People say they read the instructions, however many things pint to the fact you probably didn't understand them. 1. Always aquire minimum of 10 satellites prior to taking off. 2. Make sure bird is calibrated prior too flights. 3. Never fly in urban areas, especially if you don't have the experience or authorization to do so. In fact the manual clearly states " away from houses, vehicles, people animals etc. 4. Always take off in angle/ expert mode (not auto takeoff/smart mode). I feel for you, because when you buy an expensive-ish drone your heart sinks when it is destroyed. I'm sorry to say, and I don't work for Yuneec, but this is pilot error. These kind of instances are why regulations are being enforced and initiated. I agree this is not the kind of drone you start with. Most of us started flying model airplanes, then possibly remote helicopters or quadcopters (crashing often with minimal damage). And then when you master the controls of those sketchy little things graduating to a drone. The manufacturers are a little at fault because they advertise it as easy to fly out of the box. Which is true if you follow the instructions. It also helps if you have been flying for years. I like the ability of smart mode for videos and photo capture, however as a long time RC pilot, and accrual helicopter pilot I Stoll have an uneasy feeling letting the drone do what i program it to do. Hope you learn from this, don't give don't on drones, but do as suggested and but a quadcopter preferably one without altitude hold or headless mode did you can really understand how to control a drone. I did recommend a Syma X5C. Very forgiving, and when good enough you can fly it around your house without damaging anything. It had to be flown outside on non windy days, however when good enough flying it I recommend windy days just to get to know how that effects it and how to recover and compensate. You will also experience vortex state when trying to come straight down, and how to correct that.

Reactions: Bjpilot955
I had a very similar problem as well. On my first flight I had my H up in the air at about 25 - 30 feet just checking things out, rotating the camera, going left , right, up down, etc. Then I got a warning "Low Battery", so I started to bring the bird down slowly and then I got a second "Low Battery" warning and it just took off from me at a high rate of speed. I put it into Home Mode and just went faster away from me. It crashed into a roof of a house down my street. I retrieved it and the camera broke off, 7 arms were broken off, battery flew off and landed on the ground. the body panels were broken and cracked. It was destroyed! A $1,300 drone destroyed. I got physically sick to my stomach.....I threw up. After a couple of days I bought another one but I am afraid to take it out for a spin.

That was two months ago, now I have an "H", a Mavic Pro (MAXX MOD), and a Phantom 4 Advanced+. None of which have felt the air under their props. I'm "gun-shy". So I just got another drone. a Pioneer UFO, to practice, practice, practice flying.
full

Dear All,

I just went thru the craziest of happenings just a few minutes ago.

Got my Typhoon H in the mail this last Tuesday. Attempted my first flight yesterday but I couldn't get a GPS lock: 'Signal Acquiring Issue". So I called Yuneec CS today and spoke to CS rep. named Angel. Told him about the GPS issue and we discussed possible reasons for the problem. We spoke about possibly returning the aircraft to have the GPS replaced but I told him that I was going to try calibrating the compass and the accelerometer as a last try before sending the bird back.

Anyhow, I did calibrate the compass and the accelerometer and the GPS began to function and acquired a good signal with 20 satellites!

Well, due to my full lack of experience flying, I had the Typhoon do an auto take-off and immediately placed it in orbit mode (AT LEAST I TRIED). However, the drone simply flew up so fast, at full throttle and began to hover above me locked at 120.0m! However, I had set it to a max height of 40m! I suddenly realized I had absolutely no control over the bird! Neither the auto-pilot had any control over it. After a few minutes trying to do something about this situation, I unexpectedly maintained my calm and called Yuneec CS again!

To my surprise, the same agent, Angel, took the call! I told him that the chopper was 120m above me but I had no control. He asked me to put it into manual mode which I immediately did but it was also nonresponsive. Then he asked me to put it in "Home" mode and assumed it would fly back. To no avail.

So I have a completely out of control drone above me and I am having an emergency situation call with the CS agent! He then told me that the bird would automatically land once the batteries started to get really low.

Well after some time, I began to get a red alarm on my ST16 saying that the battery was running low and that the altitude from that point on would be at 60 ft max. So the drone began to lose altitude in a controlled fashion. I got a bit excited thinking it would make a safe landing after all. That wasn't the case: the bird just dropped out of the air when it reached approximately 50 meters. It just dropped. Thank God it didn't hit anything or anyone! In that sense, I guess I got lucky.

I asked the agent if he had gone thru a similar situation and he denied ever even hearing anything similar! WOW!

Anyhow, he proceeded on the return and replacement process of the Typhoon H and I will drop it off at UPS tomorrow for the return.

I am a bit skeptical and rather scared of flying a new bird knowing that something like this can happen.

Check out this quick video with the aftermath and am being still in the call for 22+ minutes...

[/QUOTE]

I don't understand why anyone using auto take off. That's like a pilot taking off in a 747 and putting all the control in auto and sitting back.
Sure once in the air fine but not during take off or landing, come on guys! Fly using stick and not relying totally on the computer, meaning take off in Angle Mode!

Reactions: Bjpilot955
Sounds to me like gwhuntoon nailed the issue based on his experience with the same drone.

I have a question somewhat unrelated but still relevant. I have a non-profit media production company and just purchased 4 Yuneek Typhoon Q500 4K drones for use in the production of music videos. The comments here are the first time I have heard of a simulator and I have been through videos and manuals at length. Is there a simulator available for the Typhoon? If so, where can I find it? It sounds like a great first step to actually flying the drone.

JB,

A search on Yuneec simulator should pull up some info and opportunities. Google should show purchase options.

Jeff

P.S. yup... just tried it. Spent plenty of time with one before actual flight. Was kinda fun too!

full

Dear All,

I just went thru the craziest of happenings just a few minutes ago.

Got my Typhoon H in the mail this last Tuesday. Attempted my first flight yesterday but I couldn't get a GPS lock: 'Signal Acquiring Issue". So I called Yuneec CS today and spoke to CS rep. named Angel. Told him about the GPS issue and we discussed possible reasons for the problem. We spoke about possibly returning the aircraft to have the GPS replaced but I told him that I was going to try calibrating the compass and the accelerometer as a last try before sending the bird back.

Anyhow, I did calibrate the compass and the accelerometer and the GPS began to function and acquired a good signal with 20 satellites!

Well, due to my full lack of experience flying, I had the Typhoon do an auto take-off and immediately placed it in orbit mode (AT LEAST I TRIED). However, the drone simply flew up so fast, at full throttle and began to hover above me locked at 120.0m! However, I had set it to a max height of 40m! I suddenly realized I had absolutely no control over the bird! Neither the auto-pilot had any control over it. After a few minutes trying to do something about this situation, I unexpectedly maintained my calm and called Yuneec CS again!

To my surprise, the same agent, Angel, took the call! I told him that the chopper was 120m above me but I had no control. He asked me to put it into manual mode which I immediately did but it was also nonresponsive. Then he asked me to put it in "Home" mode and assumed it would fly back. To no avail.

So I have a completely out of control drone above me and I am having an emergency situation call with the CS agent! He then told me that the bird would automatically land once the batteries started to get really low.

Well after some time, I began to get a red alarm on my ST16 saying that the battery was running low and that the altitude from that point on would be at 60 ft max. So the drone began to lose altitude in a controlled fashion. I got a bit excited thinking it would make a safe landing after all. That wasn't the case: the bird just dropped out of the air when it reached approximately 50 meters. It just dropped. Thank God it didn't hit anything or anyone! In that sense, I guess I got lucky.

I asked the agent if he had gone thru a similar situation and he denied ever even hearing anything similar! WOW!

Anyhow, he proceeded on the return and replacement process of the Typhoon H and I will drop it off at UPS tomorrow for the return.

I am a bit skeptical and rather scared of flying a new bird knowing that something like this can happen.

Check out this quick video with the aftermath and am being still in the call for 22+ minutes...

WOW
YOU WILL GET IT TAKEN CARE OF.
THESE GUYS ON THE YUNEEC FORUM ARE AWESOME.
JUST GIVE IT TIME AND DO NOT PANIC. WE
ALL SEEM TO GO THROUGH SOME SORT OF GLITCHES.
ALSO - BE NICE TO THE PEOPLE AT YUNEEC.
THEY ARE OVER WORKED AND UNDERSTAFFED.
BE VERY PATIENT.
KEITH KUHN

Hi Dr Delta, I'm a little bit confused when you recommend "...the right hand slider to TURTLE (or the latter maybe halfway) and take off manually.." My belive is take off in rabbit and get of the ground to 8-10m as quick as possible. Then hover for a short while. That what I always has done (150-200 times) w/o any problems or incidents. Why in Turtle Delta? Best from Sweden
When I flown my Q I always come in to land in turtle mode gives you better landing pace and softer so I will be using the same on my H when I get it it's like if u have a landing mat try it yourself come in to land on rabbit then try it on turtle mode you will see the difference

Reactions: AH-1G

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval