Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Average number of satellites seen

Having generally equal satellite counts may well be dependent on having continuously equal satellite dispersion around the globe. i don't know that such is so.

Around 17-18 satellites on average I would say, normally after a few minutes reaches 20.

Every now and then, when the sat count stays at the low side (11-13) for more than a few minutes I power cycle the aircraft.

This is how it behaves on a regular day (extracted from a video on another topic, please ignore my blabbering):

Aproximately Latitude: 28.6353, Longitude: -106.089
Firmware: American, September 1st 2016 update (cant remember version number)

On the satellite count, there are two of them on the screen. One in the left column and on up near the clock. I assume the one in the upper right is the ST16's acquirement and the one in the left column is from the H. Am I correct?

On the satellite count, there are two of them on the screen. One in the left column and on up near the clock. I assume the one in the upper right is the ST16's acquirement and the one in the left column is from the H. Am I correct?

Correct

From Northen Cali I'll get an average of 15-18. I have gotten more than 20 a least a handful of times. American firmware

As an aside, how close do you all stand to your H whilst you're waiting for satellites? Standing close (or over) it typically drops the satellite count by two or three for me.

It would be possible to add something to UAV Toolbox to collate this for users so we can see a reported average, and peak during flight. Hmmm....

I'm usually 10' or so away. You're right in about standing/leaning over it lowering the count. The human body does a great job of blocking GPS signal. A quick experiment to show the effect of the body on GPS is to let the H collect satellites for a couple minutes and then put your hand over the GPS antenna. The count drops pretty much immediately.

Last edited:
As an aside, how close do you all stand to your H whilst you're waiting for satellites? Standing close (or over) it typically drops the satellite count by two or three for me.

It would be possible to add something to UAV Toolbox to collate this for users so we can see a reported average, and peak during flight. Hmmm....
That would be handy, Tuna. I currently write down my satellite count for my log book just before taking off. Having that would make things easier.

Standing close or over the H and dropping the number of satellites seen is called a 'mask' (or 'shadow'). The word 'mask' is used more appropriately for when there are hills or buildings nearby, or you are taking off from a valley...but someone's big head would have a similar effecto_O

Just did an altitude test flight with one of mine a little south of the Sacramento, CA area. Rural environment. Typhoon H:16 sats, ST-16: 10-11 sats. I let it sit for 3 minutes after power up prior to arming the motors.

After three months of flying every day, I finally saw 20 sats acquired.

The idea for this thread came to me from posts in another thread.

It appears that some pilots are having trouble seeing more than 16 satellites, some have trouble seeing 11 or 12, and I wondered if their location in the world and whether they are using EU or american firmware has any influence.

So, this is a somewhat unscientific survey to determine if where you are in the world and what firmware you are using has any impact on the number of satellites you expect to see by the time you are ready to take off.

How many satellites, on average, do you expect to see, where are you (roughly) in the world, what version of firmware do you have: EU or American? This is by the time you are normally ready to press the red button and not after a prolonged wait.

I expect to see 18 satellites on average by the time I'm ready to take off. I'm using the EU firmware and most of my flights are in the North West of England. (seeing 20 satellites, for me, is not uncommon)
Southern California 20 satellites

I stand back twelve feet away

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval