Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Avoid Flyways.

RPR

Reaction score
Are you transitioning to a Yuneec product? If so, like me, I have a fleet of DJI drones. I am not a product fan flyer, I use my sUAS as a tool. But transitioning from one product to another can be daunting, because we have to change our mindset and relearn, what we have learned.

I bought my first Yuneec product due to my frustrations with DJI M series, but don't get me wrong, I still love my DJI drones. Like, Ive said, I treat and use my drones as a tool. But the more, I fly my TH Plus the more I like the Plus more than my other crafts. ( And my prime influencer is @Ty Pilot that I made the plunged in getting my TH Plus)

My maiden flight:

Now let's talk about Flyaways and how to avoid them.

1) When you first unbox your TH Plus, read the manual thoroughly.

2) Use this forum wisely, dig deep into the archives.

3) Save your first build (firmware) and read this How to Upgrade/Downgrade C23 Camera Firmware for the H Plus
You will find the thread above useful, as you progress.

Here's why. My first encounter with lack of Sat connectivity.:

What I have learned, and in the long run, you will experience these symptoms as you progress, and will also learn on how to avoid and safely correct the situation. First off.... Learn how to fly in ATTI or Manual Mode, this skill set will come in handy.

Let's jump into my process.

Drone flyaways are more common than you think and can happen to anyone whether you are a beginner or an expert.

1. Do a Pre-flight Check.

Aside from the obvious mechanical per-flight check, do a satellite and gps check. Make sure that your satellite count are substantial for flight. Green means GO!
Do a hover check, there are times that the TH Plus will drift or climb without input control. Do not panic, bring it down. When in doubt, bring it down. There are times that it wants to fight you, do not panic, tame it, and bring it down. If for some reason that it wants to tip over. Do not panic it won't. I have been there, and I have yet to tip my TH Plus. Do not panic. It is not a DJI sUAS. Bring it down.....DO NOT PANIC!

2. Recalibrate.

During your first initial flight out of the box, calibrate your IMU (accelerometer) and compass.

IMU/Accelerometer:
Yuneec TH Plus does not clear indicate on how to calibrate the accelerometer, but here's how:

Compass: Generally when traveling 100+ miles from last compass calibration you should recalibrate the compass, but when in doubt calibrate your compass. I usually calibrate my compass after relocating from one field to another (I work in construction pits, and I calibrate accordingly) Don’t just rely on your GPS to guide your drone, but compass calibration is need, not just for a peace of mind, but it is a good practice, specially when there is too much magnetic interference where you are flying.

3. Fly Within Line of Sight.

This is common sense. There is a reason the FAA requires you to keep your drone in sight at all times. By flying your drone too far out of sight you not only risk losing it, it could also endanger others,. Pay attention to the warnings, monitoring your drone solely through your live video feed is never a good idea. If you do this, you won’t be able to see what’s behind or to either side of your drone. Sometimes “flyways” are just accidents resulting from the drone not being visible, bring someone with you, when you fly to act as your VO if possible. Pay attention to all the warnings and do not treat each warnings lightly. Land your sUAS and evaluate the situation if in doubt, by doing so, you will be able to fly another day.

Happy flying

Last edited:
All good information there @RPR one thing you touch on that cannot be overemphasized is when you said 'Use this forum wisely, dig deep into the archives.'

That (to me) is going to be a big deciding factor as to whether or not someone who is either new to UA's or just new to Yuneec; has a shot at having successful, continuous operation with their Yuneec Products. When I joined this forum, I had been lurking, reading nearly every topic, watching every video on the Typhoon H going back to the very beginning. All of the experiences that previous members posted was available as free and wise advice, and is the only reason I have had a relatively great experience with the Typhoon and now the Typhoon H Plus.

One huge thing I see are people who want to jump right in and go screaming off as far and high as they can go, or blasting around their neighborhood. As hard as it is to do new folks, or folks new to a platform, need to slow down. Crawl before you walk and walk before you run. I see so many fly aways and crashes that are due to straight up pilot error caused by wanting to jump over all the boring learning stuff.

So slow down, smell the roses, and have fun, and take your time. It will be far cheaper in the long run!

Very good submission RPR and right on the money for those new to flying Multirotor UAV’s and to the seasoned pilot coming from another brand or adding Yuneec to their hanger.

Ty Pilot, I couldn’t agree more. I joined the forum after getting my Breeze and this forum answered more questions than any other source on the web. Some YouTube videos were ok, but most were just wordy and took 5 times longer to present the information than it should have.

I have added a TH Pro to my collection and the information I gleaned here before ever purchasing the H has proved invaluable.

This site is why I've been successful on my first two flights. I had the revised manual from the sight printed and bound at staples so I could read it thoroughly. The thing Yuneec sends is a joke compared to the one from this sight. I was comfortable calibrating the compass and altimeter before my first flight. I didn't panic when I realized I didn't know how to use RTL. I just landed it myself. I believe it was a video the Ty made that helped me orient the Plus when it was about 500 yards away. I just flew left saw it was getting smaller and turned it toward me. I was about 150 feet up and the camera was showing all cloudy skies. That video I watched two or three times calmed me till I got the camera on a landmark. I just ordered the St16 tray holder from the Copperdawg sight because the tether Yuneec sends is terrible. All in all this is becoming a great place to learn to fly this thing. I appreciate all the info, suggestions and help from all who have done so. I look forward to better weather. The northeast has had it bad weatherwise since UPS delivered my H+
Thanks to all of you for sharing your vast knowledge.
Jeff

I printed a few pages from the manual the other day and they had numbering. Could it be that Staples repressed the pagination when they printed the document?

That does look really nice!

I printed a few pages from the manual the other day and they had numbering. Could it be that Staples repressed the pagination when they printed the document?

That does look really nice!
They charged me $40.00 I have the machine at my office to add pages. It has a clear cover and a hard cardboard back. I go it this way so I can fold it and put it in the side pouch of the Backpack bag. I'll look for the page numbers. I can always let them over lap and put them behind the original. That's why I had her do single pages. That way when it's updated stuff will just overlap. I'm a book guy so the online deal didn't work for me.

I keep a printed copy in my logbook....print it out in color, two sided and 3 hole punched. It’s an immensely useful resource out in the field.

Reactions: Jal7884
I have copies of all the Yuneec Manuals on my Phone in the PDF Expert app. Not quite as easy to read as a book is, but the phone is very compact.

I’ve got a massive PDF library on my iPad....all the FAA handbooks, AC’s, Sectionals, Pilot Handbooks, User Manuals, etc....everything I would want to reference.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval