Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Bad Jello effect on recent video shoot

TRY with out filters!
ISO 100
Shutter 1300 and/or go1600? with blazing sun
eV 0
4k at 30fps
what are your results?

TRY with out filters!
ISO 100
Shutter 1300 and/or go1600? with blazing sun
eV 0
4k at 30fps
what are your results?
The highest shutter I can use in our English sunshine is 1300 (iso100). Shutter 1600 would be a pipe dream for me. For example, today the highest I could go even though it was a sunny CAVOK was 1000.

I start at 1000 had it up to 1600 few hours ago, in fact I'm reviewing as I'm typing.
We had partly cloudy and had to adjust as clouds rolled by.

Well I went back to the location I shot yesterday and went ahead and reshot today using exclusively 4k 30fps on auto with - 1/2 EV exposure. And here's what happened with 12 videos... They were perfect. I'm not sure if the location I've been testing in at the park maybe has some high power lines that are causing weird issues, or maybe the aliens are using it as a test facility. But I can't imagine just the randomness of putting the props on different motors caused it to be magically stable. I checked all 15+ minutes of video and there was not a slight waiver at all in any of the footage. Strangely I didn't really put one and one together that the only time I've had the jello issue was at the park when I'm testing.

So the one thing I noticed is when you're using Auto which gives you a very high shutter speed the 30fps 4K footage is pretty choppy when you pan at even a moderate speed. So I may choose to use the ND filter for a smoother look in the future. However, and I'm not sure if anyone else has found this out but I found something very interesting... I was using very slow pans for most of the shots, probably about a minute to 90 seconds long. When watching them they were far too slow for the property that I was shooting so I went into the PowerDirector tools and set the speed of the video to 2x, effectively doubling the frame rate of the 4K video. Then I exported the 4K footage as 60fps in the settings even though it was originally shot at 30, now my pans were at a more acceptable speed and magically they were as smooth as if I had used 1/60th of a shutter with the ND filter like I did a few days ago. But in this case since I was getting a better exposure with the auto and -1/2 eV I did not have any blown clouds. So for future work I can continue to shoot slow pans and then just double the speed when producing them in the software. The only time that becomes an issue is if there are cars going by or anything moving, obviously it moves at twice the speed. A few of the shots have a couple of birds that seem to be flying inordinately fast LOL!

So to sum up this bit of a ridiculous saga I think we can say that the location was causing some strange interference. I'm going to go back there and test in a few days to see if it occurs again. If so, I won't ever be using that location for practice. On a good note I've learned a lot more about video and flying my drone which will benefit me on future shoots. Thank you to everybody for contributing and putting in your ideas and thoughts. This forum and its members are as important and as good as the typhoon that I fly. Things like that make a difference and I look forward to helping some of you in the future.

I'm going out on a limb, you won't have problems going back to where you had issues, using the new method.
eeeeeee I hope??

Well I went back to the location I shot yesterday and went ahead and reshot today using exclusively 4k 30fps on auto with - 1/2 EV exposure. And here's what happened with 12 videos... They were perfect. I'm not sure if the location I've been testing in at the park maybe has some high power lines that are causing weird issues, or maybe the aliens are using it as a test facility. But I can't imagine just the randomness of putting the props on different motors caused it to be magically stable. I checked all 15+ minutes of video and there was not a slight waiver at all in any of the footage. Strangely I didn't really put one and one together that the only time I've had the jello issue was at the park when I'm testing.

So the one thing I noticed is when you're using Auto which gives you a very high shutter speed the 30fps 4K footage is pretty choppy when you pan at even a moderate speed. So I may choose to use the ND filter for a smoother look in the future. However, and I'm not sure if anyone else has found this out but I found something very interesting... I was using very slow pans for most of the shots, probably about a minute to 90 seconds long. When watching them they were far too slow for the property that I was shooting so I went into the PowerDirector tools and set the speed of the video to 2x, effectively doubling the frame rate of the 4K video. Then I exported the 4K footage as 60fps in the settings even though it was originally shot at 30, now my pans were at a more acceptable speed and magically they were as smooth as if I had used 1/60th of a shutter with the ND filter like I did a few days ago. But in this case since I was getting a better exposure with the auto and -1/2 eV I did not have any blown clouds. So for future work I can continue to shoot slow pans and then just double the speed when producing them in the software. The only time that becomes an issue is if there are cars going by or anything moving, obviously it moves at twice the speed. A few of the shots have a couple of birds that seem to be flying inordinately fast LOL!

So to sum up this bit of a ridiculous saga I think we can say that the location was causing some strange interference. I'm going to go back there and test in a few days to see if it occurs again. If so, I won't ever be using that location for practice. On a good note I've learned a lot more about video and flying my drone which will benefit me on future shoots. Thank you to everybody for contributing and putting in your ideas and thoughts. This forum and its members are as important and as good as the typhoon that I fly. Things like that make a difference and I look forward to helping some of you in the future.
Any further problems? It seems most likely that the interference was caused by the police playing with a radar gun. I checked the video you posted and suspected a white van shown in the last couple of minutes. I thought I saw someone by the driver's door but now think it was just some vegetation and the window. Checking the full video might show something.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval