Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Battery maintinance

Reaction score
Sure I know that this has been discussed here eariler but as it was a long time ago there might be some new fresh advices as time goes by.
I have original 5 original Yuneec batteries "resting" at 15,3V during the winter and lack of business. I use a DY3 charger. Shall I just LEAVE them at 15.3V (I check voltage once a month) or shall I charge/discharge at regular periods?
No battery is puffing.

Best from Sweden

Just keep an eye on them, I keep mine at storage voltage, no need to charge them fully, a wasted cycle, a monthly check works for you, only takes a moment to check them anyway. Internal Resistance is very important too which needs to checked a real indication of battery health.

Last edited:
Reactions: KEITH KUHN
Just keep an eye on them, I keep mine at storage voltage, no need to charge them fully, a wasted cycle, a monthly check works for you, only takes a moment to check them anyway. Internal Resistance is very important too which needs to checked a real indication of battery health.
Thanks Mrgs1, do you know where I can find "how to measure internal resistance?" Isnt it enough that all four cells indicate exactly the same voltage?

Thanks Mrgs1, do you know where I can find "how to measure internal resistance?" Isnt it enough that all four cells indicate exactly the same voltage?
Being at the same voltage is not a good indicator for internal resistance. The closer the cells are in IR the easier it is the balance charge the battery pack. As the IR climbs in the cells as they age, get stressed from over discharge, number of charging cycles, etc., the flight time will decrease and the stress it can take in winds or hard flying decreases. Having a means to measure the IR during maintenance can help identify batteries that are very healthy and suitable for strenuous flights as well as those that are less capable and need to retire to ground work or be removed from inventory.

Reactions: Mrgs1
A battery with low internal resistance delivers high current on demand. High resistance causes the battery to heat up and the voltage to drop. Temperature also effects the resistance, heat lowers it and cold raises it. Warming the battery will momentarily lower the internal resistance to provide maybe a little extra runtime.

Being at the same voltage is not a good indicator for internal resistance. The closer the cells are in IR the easier it is the balance charge the battery pack. As the IR climbs in the cells as they age, get stressed from over discharge, number of charging cycles, etc., the flight time will decrease and the stress it can take in winds or hard flying decreases. Having a means to measure the IR during maintenance can help identify batteries that are very healthy and suitable for strenuous flights as well as those that are less capable and need to retire to ground work or be removed from inventory.
Ultimately saving a crash in some instances. Looking at a crashed H isn't a pleasant sight, especiallyif it could of been prevented by not using a dodgy battery.

Sure I know that this has been discussed here eariler but as it was a long time ago there might be some new fresh advices as time goes by.
I have original 5 original Yuneec batteries "resting" at 15,3V during the winter and lack of business. I use a DY3 charger. Shall I just LEAVE them at 15.3V (I check voltage once a month) or shall I charge/discharge at regular periods?
No battery is puffing.

Best from Sweden
Shouldn't have to. Just don't let them go dead.

I think everyone agrees that IR checks are the best way to identify cell problems. I have just never found a method to check IR that didn't require a degree from MIT.
I have the function on my HTRC C240 Duo chargers. Hook up the battery, scroll to the function and get the reading I less than a second. It is not metrology lab accurate, but still usable for our purposes. Many other chargers are capable of the same.

I have the function on my HTRC C240 Duo chargers. Hook up the battery, scroll to the function and get the reading I less than a second. It is not metrology lab accurate, but still usable for our purposes. Many other chargers are capable of the same.
To use this charger on my HPlus you need a balance cable. I have been unable to find one in over one year. I did have one for my older 480. Where do you find the balance cable for the Plus?

To use this charger on my HPlus you need a balance cable. I have been unable to find one in over one year. I did have one for my older 480. Where do you find the balance cable for the Plus?
Other side of the pond I'm afraid!

Thought you were asking for the H480 as that is the sub forum you posted in. If you have the OEM charger for the H Plus there is a YT video on converting it for use with a third party charger. It has been mentioned on the forum several times. If I find it I’ll post a link.

I found it Typhoon h plus charger modification

Last edited:
Reactions: PatR
Easiest solution just convert the original charger and buy an extra charger port so you can charge a couple at a time.

I am still fairly new to the H family so I learn something new everytime I read one of these threads. I have a question about batteries. I am replacing the original batteries and am looking at a battery that list as a Power 4 4S 6300 Mah. Is this battery good for a H? Thanks.

Your not going to see a dramatic increase in flight time with that battery, what battery is it, GiFi Powerextra etc?

The original Yuneec OEM Power4 (4S 5400mAh 14.8V) batteries always performed like a comparable 6300mAh battery. Those that have been involved with the H480 from the beginning are quite certain they are 6300mAh packs labeled as being 5400mAh.

That said, the last batch of Yuneec Power4 (not Power4P) batteries were built in 2018 so even they are getting close to the end of their shelf life and the cost is about 50% higher than the first Power4 batteries.

The thing to really watch is how long has the battery been on the shelf and under what conditions. In a climate controlled environment long term storage is not too detrimental, but extreme heat or cold is not kind to this battery technology.

Having a means to measure the IR of the battery’s cells will tell you how well it was built and stored. A new battery should have IR readings under 5 millions per cell and be well matched.

Buyer beware, it's almost impossible to tell how a battery has been stored prior to delivery, some dealers have made sure the battery has being put in storage and balanced before posting to me, but some have been poor in flight time and IR.

Reactions: DoomMeister

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval