Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Battery question, what I'm not understanding.

Reaction score
I don't get batteries.
So my ignorance will shine here.

The Typhoon H batteries are 4 cell batteries, correct? Hence the 4S printed on each battery?

Each cell when full should be 4.2 volts per cell equaling 16.8 volts for the entire H battery, correct?

Here’s where I need a battery lesson.
Why does the H battery have printed on it 14.8V and not 16.8V?

I’m using a EV-PEAK CQ3 charger. I just finished putting batteries on set to STORAGE.
The STORAGE process stopped with each of the 4 cells per battery at 4.14V totaling 16.5V. Is this proper (doesn't seem much of a difference from full)?

If not what should the STORAGE volts be per cell?

The EV-PEAK CQ3 charger also has a setting to DISCHARGE batteries.
What is the difference between DISCHARGING and STORAGE?

Which would be better to use on the H batteries, DISCHARGING or STORAGE?
And Why?

If anyone answers any of this please don't be surprised if I come back with even more questions.

Short answer.

Batteries are voltage rated using nominal cell voltage, not fully charged voltage.

4S Battery storage voltage should be very close to 15.2v.

For establishing LiPo storage, use the charger’s storage function, not discharge. The storage function monitors individual cell voltage and stops the process at a level determined by the cell chemistry type, and cell count, selected by the user. The discharge function can destroy a battery if not properly set up by the user. The discharge function is more appropriate to NiCd and LiMh battery chemistries. Not so much LiPo’s.

That you recognize your lack of battery knowledge and are willing to learn more is refreshing. Thanks for asking. A site named Battery University can be very enlightening and worth the time spent looking through it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Camflyer15
Short answer.

Batteries are voltage rated using nominal cell voltage, not fully charged voltage.

4S Battery storage voltage should be very close to 15.2v.

For establishing LiPo storage, use the charger’s storage function, not discharge. The storage function monitors individual cell voltage and stops the process at a level determined by the cell chemistry type, and cell count, selected by the user. The discharge function can destroy a battery if not properly set up by the user. The discharge function is more appropriate to NiCd and LiMh battery chemistries. Not so much LiPo’s.

That you recognize your lack of battery knowledge and are willing to learn more is refreshing. Thanks for asking. A site named Battery University can be very enlightening and worth the time spent looking through it.
Thanks for the quick reply.
EV-PEAK CQ3 charger doesn't get down to 3.8V per cell on the STORAGE setting. Only gets down to 4.10 to 4.12V
Any suggestions?

If set at the correct cell chemistry I am surprised to learn it does not set the correct voltage level. Read the charger's instruction manual to determine if that level is adjustable. If it is not adjustable I'll suggest obtaining a different model and brand that does. I don't use that model so I cannot advise. You may need to visit several web sites to obtain useful instructions due to language differences between developers and users.

Looking at the manual it says you can set the discharge cutoff voltage from 3.0v-4.0v.
Not owning one this might set both storage and discharge options to the same thing.
Ideally for long storage is around 40%. 3.85v-3.80v per cell.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve Carr
lol
Never thought of that [emoji4]

Hopefully he will and also read over the lipo section on the web page you suggested.
Seems like he is willing to learn as many do not.

I never turn on any electronic before reading the manual completely, ever! Took me three days on the Typhoon H manual before it ever got off the ground, but thank you all for your concerns of my ignorance.
The discharge voltage that can be set is not the same as the STORAGE setting on this charger. As per the first answer given by PatR (thanks Pat) stated better to use STORAGE than DISCHARGE. There seems to be no place to change settings for STORAGE. Only DISCHARGE has an end setting. So I have changed the DISCHARGE setting to 15.2. I am now running the batteries on STORAGE. The end voltage states it will take them to 15.4V in STORAGE mode. Still not the 15.2V I set in DISCHARGE mode but I'll see if this gets them below 4.1 V per cell at least.

Remember I mentioned “close to” 15.2v. 15.4 makes that and I seriously doubt a couple tenths will matter in the long run.

So it's the charger it seems.
See image...

Attachments

• ChargerIssues.jpg
    ChargerIssues.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 47
This is why I always buy brands with a long history of good quality and superior customer service. The price is always higher but I only cry once, instead of over and over.

Unless the manufacturer already has already published instructions or solutions for this, write the charger and the brand off to experience and obtain better. I use Hitec, some use Venom, others have their brand preferences, but choose based on historical performance and life cycle, not price.

Nobody likes to buy an item twice or more to end up with something that works as it should, but it happens.

Last edited:
@Manny D I also have a EV Peak, though I am using a DY3... storage voltage on that charger is set at 3.85V for each cell... 4.16V does seem high.

Just chipping in here to say that should you wish to get your batteries close to storage level without the help of a charger that has the storage option, simply fly your batteries down to around 14.6 or 14.7. After landing and powering down the batteries will 'bounce' back up close to around 15.0 and after some time will settle at around 15.2....the storage level for our batteries.:D

14.8V should be what they are rated at when they are half discharged. I believe anyway

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval