Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Battery Revealed

Reaction score
I bit the dust and disassembled one of my 3 battery packs (have a 4th on order JIC). Below are pictures of the inside of the battery for those that were interested.

I did some research on the DLX-6118 board and found this website in China - 4串锂电池保护板 适用于高倍率锂电可充电电池 平衡二次充电保护 which describes the board as follows:

Name: DLX-6118-L4S5A balance charging rechargeable lithium battery protection board protection
Test voltage: 12V
Overcurrent current: 5A
Size: PCM Size ≦ 37.5 * 32.5 * 7mm
Applications: high-rate lithium rechargeable battery
Note: This section is used to balance the charge rechargeable protection (no discharge, over-current, short circuit protection)
Features:

◆ high-quality IC and a new sheet.
◆ with a load capacity, high voltage, low on-resistance power MOSFET, having a typical voltage detection side
◆ Formula overcharge protection, over-discharge protection.Hardware overcurrent,
◆ Short circuit protection, short circuit protection and reliable performance, long load circuit will not yield to the protection board batteries and students affected.
◆ charge-discharge process corresponding temperature protection.
◆ low power consumption, the whole current consumption less than 50uA.

Next step is to see if there is additional information to be gathered about the cells themselves, measure the IR of each cell. and post a picture of the connector labeling the various connectors.

Attachments

• IMG_0825.JPG
    IMG_0825.JPG
    764.2 KB · Views: 466
  • IMG_0827.JPG
    IMG_0827.JPG
    565.7 KB · Views: 445
  • IMG_0828.JPG
    IMG_0828.JPG
    636.9 KB · Views: 430
  • IMG_0829.JPG
    IMG_0829.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 430
  • IMG_0830.JPG
    IMG_0830.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 445
  • IMG_0832.JPG
    IMG_0832.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 437
  • IMG_0833.JPG
    IMG_0833.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 429
  • IMG_0834.JPG
    IMG_0834.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 413
  • IMG_0835.JPG
    IMG_0835.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 450
Last edited:
This is fantastic. I've been waiting for some courageous soul to take one of these batteries apart and post pics. Thank you SO MUCH @K3CFPV !!

Here is the pin-out diagram for the battery connector. Thanks to 34Ford for the basic picture.

Attachments

• Connector.jpg
    Connector.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:
Reactions: jchittam
There are no markings on the individual cells to give us any hint at the manufacturer or their specs. Just a barcode label on each cell. Here's a pic of one of them (they seem to be some form of s/n as they are all different).

For those that are thinking they might want to fit another battery inside the shell, here are the dimentions: 42x45mm wide, 120mm long (w/o board), and 125mm (w/ board). It weighes in at 527g with board and connector. Theoretically, one could turn it from a battery with some minor built-in cell protection to a typical battery pack the fits the Typhoon H. Not sure what's out there that we could use. It would just be a matter of soldering the leads to the appropriate terminals on the connector and then reassembling the pack. Hmmmmmmmm

Attachments

• IMG_0837.JPG
    IMG_0837.JPG
    1,014 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
I'd assume the board is a lipo sensor to protect from single cell over discharge?

I have a HK Graphene 6.6A 4s battery that fits nicely in the battery bay but is too long. It wouldn't be difficult to print a frame to hold it in place, but not having a LiPo sensor wouldn't be good. The Graphene battery seems good in my other copters, but have found that once the cell hits 3.5-3.6v it drops rapidly. It shows up in the flight logs like a sore thumb.

I recall someone mentioned the MS 5200 having the right dimensions, but that means losing flight time and my experience with them is that they are not that great (large voltage drops and high IR).

I've done a limited search of Thunder Power, HobbyKing, and a few others and all of the batteries that would fit width wise without downgrading the capacity are just too long by about 1-2 cm. I'll bet Yuneec had these cells specially made.

Who knows, maybe the Yuneec batteries are graphene.

Any idea what the board is for inside the battery?

I'm not an electrical engineer, but my guess is that it prevents overcharging of the individual cells. This would be added protection if the charger isn't that smart or malfunctions. Maybe someone else would be able to shed some additional light on this.

I'm not an electrical engineer, but my guess is that it prevents overcharging of the individual cells. This would be added protection if the charger isn't that smart or malfunctions. Maybe someone else would be able to shed some additional light on this.

Hopefully it isn't talking to the FC and limiting mah to 5400. It doesn't appear to do that, and uses voltage as the primary limiter.

I'm working on a frame for the Turnigy Graphene. There's no way around the battery extending out a bit; not a big deal, just have to find a way to secure it without hacking the body up.

Very nice. Thanks for doing that. I too have been working on a printable adapter . I'll post the results to Thingaverse once I have got it tested a bit more. Here is a preview of the front and connector block. (work in progress)

Reactions: banned user
Anyone know the pin out sequence/identifier used for standard balance taps? Do they even really matter when connecting to a charger?

Very nice. Thanks for doing that. I too have been working on a printable adapter . I'll post the results to Thingaverse once I have got it tested a bit more. Here is a preview of the front and connector block. (work in progress)

The adapter could be made so the test battery won't need the balance wires modified; minimal battery modification overall. The connector that fits into the H only needs to have the main power wires. The balance connector can be left as is, but of course needs to be accessible for the charger. Deans connectors could be used in lieu of the Yuneec charger as a carrier.

Hopefully I didn't massacre that too much.

The adapter could be made so the test battery won't need the balance wires modified; minimal battery modification overall. The connector that fits into the H only needs to have the main power wires. The balance connector can be left as is, but of course needs to be accessible for the charger. Deans connectors could be used in lieu of the Yuneec charger as a carrier.

Hopefully I didn't massacre that too much.

You are correct that only those two are needed for the h to fly. I include the others in the interest of completeness. In fact those are the only two pins in the battery compartment. I have flown/tested the 3D printed connector block from my cad drawing with a standard xt-60 connector from the two outside pins and that works ok. Of course, there is no reason it wouldn't work if the connector is made securely enough. My test battery was a g-force 4K mah 60c battery which is a bit small. I strapped it in for the test, but it is dodgy. But, I suppose, in a pinch ... <shrug>.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 101
Reactions: Bobjazz
You are correct that only those two are needed for the h to fly. I include the others in the interest of completeness. In fact those are the only two pins in the battery compartment. I have flown/tested the 3D printed connector block from my cad drawing with a standard xt-60 connector from the two outside pins and that works ok. Of course, there is no reason it wouldn't work if the connector is made securely enough. My test battery was a g-force 4K mah 60c battery which is a bit small. I strapped it in for the test, but it is dodgy. But, I suppose, in a pinch ... <shrug>.
Nicely done!

My buddy and I are working on a printable battery tray. The connection end will use a Dean's cut in half and attached to a pigtail inside the tray (for us, a XT-60). The tray will be an extended version of the current one, have a locking tab, and be open on the side. The idea will be to slide in your battery of choice, connect to pigtail and stuff balance leads in. I've found many batteries that have the right cross-section, but are too long for the current shell. An extended shell will solve those issues. Once completed, will post link to STL files.

My buddy and I are working on a printable battery tray. The connection end will use a Dean's cut in half and attached to a pigtail inside the tray (for us, a XT-60). The tray will be an extended version of the current one, have a locking tab, and be open on the side. The idea will be to slide in your battery of choice, connect to pigtail and stuff balance leads in. I've found many batteries that have the right cross-section, but are too long for the current shell. An extended shell will solve those issues. Once completed, will post link to STL files.

I also could not find one that was that short, so extended would be necessary I think. Also, the battery leads are going to take up space of not shortened.

I've been testing a Turnigy Graphene 6.6A on another copter, which fits nicely in the H battery bay but is too long.

I'm actually impressed with this battery, but a downside is once it hits 3.5v per cell, the voltage drops rapidly so you'd better land asap at that point because 3.2v will come quickly.

K3,
Thanks for taking the time working on the battery case design. I literally haven't had the time to mess with much as the H was back at Yuneec for over two weeks. Since getting it back I've being learning how to fly it and use the camera settings etc. for a trip coming up (cancelled original plans due to sending H back for replacement of camera).

I figured a good way to make the connector end was like you suggested, cut a Deans connector in half, but leave a little space for it to position itself and use the battery charger to locate and epoxy them in place thereby ensuring correct positioning.

Do you have a sketch of what you're rough draft looks like? My plan was to leave the balance leads untouched but accessible for a charger connection. Sounds like you have a similar plan.

Bump. Want to keep this thread alive. I really want to try this graphene battery. Tomorrow I'll bring the Yuneec battery to work to take some measurements and begin designing a frame, but if K3 is near getting his version working would like to compare notes.

Guys you probably already know about the tray and the performance of the graphene being superior to this factory setup. Please contact me if your on the forum and you need a tray. Best

Glider let me know how it works out for you buddy.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis