Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Best New Feature For Me With New Firmware

Reaction score
I'm so happy to see you can now change back and fourth from GPS to Non GPS with motors armed...I've found the smoothest video for me is shot with GPS off and turtle setting. Turning it off is also essential for me when flying indoors This was always possible on Phantoms....

I'm so happy to see you can now change back and fourth from GPS to Non GPS with motors armed...I've found the smoothest video for me is shot with GPS off and turtle setting. Turning it off is also essential for me when flying indoors This was always possible on Phantoms....

I am going to try the GPS off today, sounds like fun and can get some speed going I here.

Does it still maintain altitude on its own with GPS off?

Reactions: WilsonFlyer
I am going to try the GPS off today, sounds like fun and can get some speed going I here.

Does it still maintain altitude on its own with GPS off?
It did before update so I assume it will also do it with update installed, I highly recommend that you start if off on Donkey setting so you get a feel for flying without GPS if ou haven't done it before. I've gotten the smoothest video flying in Non GPS

Mickey,
When you switch off your GPS, how did the H respond ?
Did it pretty well hold altitude, or were you full time on the sticks to keep in level.
I don't mind, and would expect it to drift around some. Just curious if I should have some altitude before switching off the GPS while in flight. I tried it once, but GPS was off from the get go, not sure how it will respond turning it off/on while in flight.

I agree with the statement someone made about the button. It would be nice it it was a toggle on a button somewhere. I wonder if it is and it's just not documented? It would seem logical for it to be so. That way, if you got yourself in a bind, you could immediately "pop" it back on (given the time it takes to acquire, of course).

Reactions: Mickeyboo
Mickey,
Did it pretty well hold altitude, or were you full time on the sticks to keep in level.
I don't mind, and would expect it to drift around some. Just curious if I should have some altitude before switching off the GPS while in flight. I tried it once, but GPS was off from the get go, not sure how it will respond turning it off/on while in flight.
It held altitude nicely, I tested by flying low and relatively close to me, I also set it on turtle since I no idea how responsive it would be...for me thus far it resulted in the smoothest video. This was all done prior to update which meant you could not switch from GPS to non GPS while actually flying...which was a pain in the....for first time flyers using non GPS I would keep it in turtle mode until you're familiar with what it is like...it does drift but just keep monitoring activity with the sticks and I do see anyone having issues.

How do you attribute smoother video with GPS off, I would think it would be the opposite?

Thanks

Reactions: WilsonFlyer
I agree except I've noticed the normal "lift" the H has at higher speeds is gone in GPS mode which resulted in a nasty 40mph low crash for me last week. Although it didn't really "drop" when flying fast and low I was expecting the normal lift so I just blew it and crashed. I was surprised how well the H held up, only minor damage but did have to send camera in for repair. As said above, if you aren't a very experienced pilot, I suggest taking it very easy in non GPS mode. It's easy to lose the H at distance as it's so fast, and if you don't know how to recover, say goodbye to your H.

I agree except I've noticed the normal "lift" the H has at higher speeds is gone in GPS mode which resulted in a nasty 40mph low crash for me last week. Although it didn't really "drop" when flying fast and low I was expecting the normal lift so I just blew it and crashed. I was surprised how well the H held up, only minor damage but did have to send camera in for repair. As said above, if you aren't a very experienced pilot, I suggest taking it very easy in non GPS mode. It's easy to lose the H at distance as it's so fast, and if you don't know how to recover, say goodbye to your H.
Thanks for the info, I'm almost always flying slowly and low for my videos I've got plenty of speed in turtle mode for just about all I do Non GPS

PS sorry about the crash,

Reactions: David Wilson
Mickey,
How to off the GPS

I agree with the statement someone made about the button. It would be nice it it was a toggle on a button somewhere. I wonder if it is and it's just not documented? It would seem logical for it to be so. That way, if you got yourself in a bind, you could immediately "pop" it back on (given the time it takes to acquire, of course).

As good as putting it on a switch sounds, there have been a few in here that have indicated experiencing difficulty selecting the desired flight mode when flipping a switch. Another switch might well be just another source of confusion for some of them.

Absolutely.....not!
How would it know where home was if you turn off GPS?
I don't think 'GPS Off' means the GPS unit is off, just that it's not being used to fix location. The H still knows where it is. How it behaves when RTH is used needs to be confirmed.

Reactions: THoff
I don't think 'GPS Off' means the GPS unit is off, just that it's not being used to fix location. The H still knows where it is. How it behaves when RTH is used needs to be confirmed.
You see, that's where you tech people have it over us mere mortals.... I always understood that 'GPS off" meant the GPS unit was off... Technology eh!?

I agree. I think GPS is simply in a standby mode. Especially seeing how the H reacts instantly during GPS on/off as shown in this video:

And better here: Go to 6:55

Last edited:
Reactions: Jacques BRET

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval