Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Best Places to Fly a Drone Los Angeles Area? Please Add!

Reaction score
I am starting this thread to find out where I can fly my H drone in the Los Angeles area --preferably unharassed and legally. I've flown it along the LA River at the Los Feliz entry... but after the 3rd or 4th time it starts getting boring.

This link states several places but they're all illegal: Top 10 Places to Fly a Drone in LA

There's also Griffith Park or Forest Lawn's sprawling cemetery... if you want to risk it. But I'm trying to find legal places. So many restrictions and places you can't fly in Los Angeles it makes owning a drone in Los Angeles waste of money :(

I've flown it above Mulholland Dog Park but come to find it makes some dogs crazy plus it's a serious risk even when taking off and landing from my truck bed cover. A bad idea I ended right after I started.

If you know of any please feel free to add them below.

Last edited:
Good luck. L.A. and Orange counties have for decades been limiting the places one can fly RC by slowly eliminating them one type of location at a time. The passage of the latest CA privacy law took that a step further in that anyone flying a drone with a camera attached can get hauled into court after being accused of filming into someone's private property. Doesn't matter if you did or did not, you get to spend the bucks for an attorney at court proceedings if anyone becomes irritated with your activities. Even if you win you lose. In California the only things legal are things you pay a use fee, registration fee, or a permit for in advance. If it's not specifically permitted it's likely prohibited. Welcome to California, empty your wallet and go home.

Look for places out in the country, if you can find any of that in L.A. Moving to Northern California presents an immense increase in options. In the meantime, get active in state politics and do all you can to reverse the trends.

Come to Antelope Valley. I'll fly with you. We have plenty of wide open areas to fly..away from buildings and is perfect for range testings.

As I mentioned in the thread that precipitated this one, if you want to get some stick time in, there is Apollo XI Model Aircraft Airport, in Van Nuys, California - 2.5 miles south of the Van Nuys airport but, in cooperation with the airport, has a 400' max height ceiling. It has a separate helipad area and some open field area when you can get in your practice. I was just there yesterday but had to cut it short because a family of large Golden Eagles decided it was chase the drone day.

• Apollo XI Field
  • Some areas of Simi Valley
  • Santa Clarita
  • Palmdale
  • Lancaster
  • Apparently you can also fly at Hermosa beach because its just far enough south of LAX. Just don't fly over people (get there early).
  • Areas of Riverside County
Then theirs the desert areas as well.

Reactions: deMARCOman
As I mentioned in the thread that precipitated this one, if you want to get some stick time in, there is Apollo XI Model Aircraft Airport, in Van Nuys, California - 2.5 miles south of the Van Nuys airport but, in cooperation with the airport, has a 400' max height ceiling. It has a separate helipad area and some open field area when you can get in your practice. I was just there yesterday but had to cut it short because a family of large Golden Eagles decided it was chase the drone day.

• Apollo XI Field
  • Some areas of Simi Valley
  • Santa Clarita
  • Palmdale
  • Lancaster
  • Apparently you can also fly at Hermosa beach because its just far enough south of LAX. Just don't fly over people (get there early).
  • Areas of Riverside County
Then theirs the desert areas as well.

Thanks. Very helpful reply. And LOL to the Eagles. I had a hawk eye balling my drone when I was flying it in the LA River area by Griffith Park. It didn't come closer than probably 30-50 feet from what I could tell but if definitely had a beady eye on it and was circling it for a bit.... I finally brought it in for a landing and waited a few minutes and after relaunching it he apparently moved on.

I am just driving back from LA and it was a nightmare to find places to fly and varies by jurisdiction. I checked with local law enforcement at these locations and was permitted to fly:

1) Venice beach
2) Torrance beach
3) Redondo beach including the lighthouse

Check for no fly then call the local police department. Seemed to work well for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone can i fly with? LA location .. i am beginner and i just got my drone last 2 days i dont have any idea what i gonna do

I bought it without checking the rules hahaha but i really liked it and i think it can help and get a good pictures and videos for my coming vacations

Just give me a message pls so i can practise thanks

Someone can i fly with? LA location .. i am beginner and i just got my drone last 2 days i dont have any idea what i gonna do

I bought it without checking the rules hahaha but i really liked it and i think it can help and get a good pictures and videos for my coming vacations

Just give me a message pls so i can practise thanks

A number of locations for the Los Angeles area are already identified in this thread... just read through it.

A number of locations for the Los Angeles area are already identified in this thread... just read through it.
But i can fly in other places right? Coz im checking this app the B4UFLY its always need a action or need to contact the airport

Attachments

• IMG_7134.PNG
    IMG_7134.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
Some one can fly with me? Here in LA my day off is every sunday .:: lol thanks ... I'm a beginner

I usually fly on Sunday's, weather permitting... If you wanted to meet at Apollo XI field, that might work. But, you must contact Yuneec and get your No Fly Zones option added to your GUI or you may not be able to fly there since it's only 2.5 miles from an airport.

Do i need to get a permit to fly a drone just for fun? Or for some photos or just a registration for my drone?

You need to register any drone over .55 lbs. That can be done online and costs $5. You don't want to get caught flying one without registration. But, what I was talking about is removing the No Fly Zones from your drone. You have to fill out a waver from Yuneec and they will then send you a file to give you the option to turn them off. If you want to fly at Apollo, you will need to turn them off because it is within 5 miles of an airport.

Yeah mine is registered already .. but do i need to get a permit like the part 107? Exam? Ok ok ill check it if how. Later after my work..

Thanks a lot for your help im so excited and got amazed to my first video I'm lucky that the police didn't saw my drone

You do not need a part 107. If you want more info, send me a PM with a phone number and I'll be happy to explain more.

I don't see a PM from you. I'll send you one and you can reply.

That definitely is more accurate that B4UFLY and less buggy but what it doesn't show are things like areas restricted by city, state, or federal laws. For example, in Los Angeles, you cannot legally fly a drone in a public park. It would be nice if it highlighted those areas as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval