Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Brain Overload for Noob Drone Pilot - quick question

Reaction score
Guys I have watched about every video, read a ton of posts on forums and I still can't figure out which is the right drone for me. Seems like you are in the DJI camp or the Yuneec camp. Like a lot of people I am considering the the P4 or the Typhoon H with realsense (or the Typhoon H base model and adding the module later) Each seems to have their strengths and weaknesses and I am leaning towards the tyhoon h because of hexacopter(redundancy) and realsense avoidance potencial. Here are my questions which keep me from pulling the trigger.

1.Given my noob status how often or likely is it that I am dealing with customer service. Is DJI so bad that I should stay away regardless?

2.Is there really an advantage of range and speed if you are mostly going to be static or in some cases riding or moving less than 20-30 miles and hour? The reason I ask is that in normal use do you ever miss say not going above 400ft from where you launched? Not looking to test the FAA just curious if the regu

There is also the cost but for me that is not an issue so much as the features. Both are in my budget.

Thanks ,
Erik

To me OA is an over hyped feature and can be a hindrance to good filming imo.

Most of dji issues are with software updates that cause issues. There's an issue right now as a matter of fact and downgrading back to previous version is recommended. Dji CS is getting better but from what I'm reading Yuneec is way better.

The 400ft height limit applies to all craft in the U.S. but they can be removed on both so no difference. It doesn't sound like speed is an issue with what you're planning on doing. H with GPS disabled is faster than P4. There's no 400ft from launch limit unless you're in smart mode and I'm not sure what that limit is, something like 150 ft distance and 50ft high? Angle mode is actually very easy to fly in.

Dji has app advantages. I like yuneec controller better.

I have both. I fly the H for two reasons. It's much quieter and that is a must for me. I don't like disturbing wildlife or people. The built it screen is a huge plus for me as well. I only have to worry about charging the controller the H batteries. The controls are well laid out and it's easy to fly. The camera on the H needs to be manually adjusted to get good shots but when it is set correctly it does a great job. The 400' limit on altitude is Above Ground Level (AGL). I fly from valleys up to higher terrain so I have the altitude limit set to 1500'. Distance is not an issue for me. I generally don't go past 2500' away although I have tested the H to 4000'. You have to decide which features are important to you and decide on that basis and not on what others think is best for you. Both are good machines and will deliver quality video or photos.

I have an older Typhoon G. I like the fact that the flight controller is integrated into one unit.

Reality check though.
YOU WILL CRASH IT.

Which one will hold up better in a crash?
Which one will allow you to better avoid a crash?
Which one will tell you when the battery is about to run out?

Once you do crash it:
Who has the better supply of parts?
Who has the fastest service.

Can you fix it yourself?
Will you fix it yourself?

And how long can you go without crashing?
The typhoon G has a simulator.
Typhoon H probably does too.

DJI don't know.

You might want to start off with a simulator.

Know that when you crash you may need to fix it.
Fixing the drone takes time.
As seen below.

I just epoxy the drone now if I can.

Yuneec Typhoon G How to Repair Videos - YouTube

OK Eric let's see if we can help you clear this up. First Dr. VH basic model 1299 second DJI phantom 4as a 1399 third Autel XStarpremium 899. Now you can go to Aces Deals and VH Drones or Carolina drones and get one of these three for these prices. These are top-of-the-line in their group but there are others that you can also pay more. If you have never flown remote control aircraft before look up the AMA in your area. If you know of someone who flies Drones contact them and get them to show you how it's done. The last option would be to go to Walmart or hobby store and buy an L cheapo under $50 are under $100 trainer to learn how to fly quad copters .Eric even the cheapest of these is still $900 for a Photographic aircraft platform your choice.

Thanks for the replies. I am nervous about crashing which gives me pause but I am handy, so long as it's not catastrophic I'm good.

Reactions: humboldt 707
Buy a Phantom 3 Pro if you have never flown! They are half the cost as they were and has a terrific camera. After you get good, there will be new 2017 models to get and fly experienced! Dragonflyer is correct! Get a $50 buck Hudson107C and learn to fly unaided by GPS and can take a lickin and keep on tickin when you crash. Then flying one of these bad asses will be a walk in the park !;)

As much as I hate that option I imagine that is the best advice.

Thank you
If you have the$$$ to buy a Typhoon H/P4 and if it crashes your fault and the loss does not hurt your wallet, Then I would say go for broke! You, if you are very careful and study very well all the facts and mistakes from others on this and other forums! And know the manual and bird inside out, You will probably never have a issue. So please don't be afraid to step in, cause once you do!, you'll never leave!o_O

Reactions: humboldt 707
OK Eric let's see if we can help you clear this up. First Dr. VH basic model 1299 second DJI phantom 4as a 1399 third Autel XStarpremium 899. Now you can go to Aces Deals and VH Drones or Carolina drones and get one of these three for these prices. These are top-of-the-line in their group but there are others that you can also pay more. If you have never flown remote control aircraft before look up the AMA in your area. If you know of someone who flies Drones contact them and get them to show you how it's done. The last option would be to go to Walmart or hobby store and buy an L cheapo under $50 are under $100 trainer to learn how to fly quad copters .Eric even the cheapest of these is still $900 for a Photographic aircraft platform your choice.
Hey D.F. Do you have the X-star? If so how do you like it?

D.C. Is right, really go over the forums and ask more questions, If you have a chance go to local dealers and talk to them.Ask also where the locals go to fly and go out and see for yourself what the machines can do. Most important, When you decide,READ THE MANUAL, Eat it,know it, live it.

Reactions: DroneClone
Hey D.F. Do you have the X-star? If so how do you like it?
Yes I do my friend. I think they will have OA next year. They are shooting to have CS like Yuneec.. When I first got it I had a camera issue. Sent it back and Autel sent me a new replacement. I love it it's like having a p3p with great service. It doesn't have lightbridge but close. Buying it was a good choice for me

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval