Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Brick'd Q500 when firmware update failed.

Reaction score
I've had so many issues with my Yuneec and not being able to update the firmware or adjust settings through the GUI, and finally broke down and called the company. They were very helpful and efficient, and it took a little time to get to someone who knew more about my problem.

On my 3rd computer, I was able to momentarily connect to the Q500 4k, via the white cable they provide. So I went for the firmware update from 1.5 to 1.7 and it failed mid-upload. Where did that leave me? Well, with a bricked Typhoon - that's where. So it goes back to them today, and it was nice they picked up the cost of shipping.

Anyone know what the turnaround time is from them?

Also, I attached a doc they sent me about debricking a Q500 - maybe it will help someone else.

Attachments

• Debricking a Q500.pdf
    327.2 KB · Views: 70
Here is how you fix it. Very simple to do. Surprised the Yuneec tech did not know this, OH wait no I'm not they are just little kids playing with big boy toys. :)

Here's how to do it.

1. Turn off the Q500, but leave it connected to your computer.
2. Having lost connection from your previous attempt, you will now be at this
Start Screen.jpg

4. You will now be at this screen:

Update Screen.jpg
5. Select the proper update file and then click "Update".
6. You will now see this screen pop up.
Update.jpg

7. Turn on your Q500 and the firmware will now load. When it is finished, close out of the
update screens and then click on "Turn off GUI preview". You should now be able to
communicate with the Q500 and verify that the new version is 1.07

8. Turn off the Q500 and disconnect the USB adapter from it. REMEMBER TO RECONNECT
THE WHITE CABLE IN THE BATTERY COMPARTMENT!!!

9. Turn the Q500 back on and verify that the transmitter will communicate with it.
In case it doesn't, you might have to re-bind the transmitter to the Q500.

You should do a compass recalibration
after any firmware update of the airframe.

There you go! You should be all set now. :)

Well, I had done this already, and after the failed firmware install, I trued to force it, as per your last screen, and it fails with an error message.

Well you must have a truly bricked one. I have never seen anyone not recover from what you described, hope Yuneec can make things right for you.

Stories like these keep me from doing any kind of updating. I've had several bad accidents already, and with what I've read in other forums on this same issue......I'm skeered. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trouble is if you do have a problem with your Yuneec product and you have not done all the updates that come out they (yuneec) could say your warranty is void. Its up to you to keep your product up to date and if you have a failure I could see them giving you a hard time.

I have owned my Typhoon Q 500+ for two years now, updated when needed. Never a problem. I have belonged to many a forum and see people having issues updating. In most cases it comes down to user error or computer error.
Most times it is not reading the instructions.
Its not rocket science to update but you do need to read and watch some videos if your not sure about what your about to do.

Thanks FJ. I've been browsing thru different forums learning quite a bit, and glad there people on here like u and a few others that post in here. I will eventually bite the bullet and do it. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trust me, I read the instructions, over and over, and watched videos of the process over and over. I think the problem is a bad connector inside the battery compartment or the USB dongle.

I'm hoping I get it back soon because I've been promoting the heck out of my biz and have a lot of work lined up.

I have seen where people have a bad USB cord that came with the Typhoon

Response to FilmIdol question about turnaround time

I sent my Plus in for an overheating motor on the 11th of June, got an email on the 20th stating that it was in the repair department. On July 7th they notified me that the repair and testing was complete, received it back on the 12th. So 30 days including the 10 days it was in transit back and forth from Tennessee to California. They sent it back with a new set of black props and a Yuneec sticker.

Reactions: FilmIdol
Response to FilmIdol question about turnaround time

I sent my Plus in for an overheating motor on the 11th of June, got an email on the 20th stating that it was in the repair department. On July 7th they notified me that the repair and testing was complete, received it back on the 12th. So 30 days including the 10 days it was in transit back and forth from Tennessee to California. They sent it back with a new set of black props and a Yuneec sticker.
Ouch. I may have to buy a new UAV.

Trouble is if you do have a problem with your Yuneec product and you have not done all the updates that come out they (yuneec) could say your warranty is void. Its up to you to keep your product up to date and if you have a failure I could see them giving you a hard time.

I have owned my Typhoon Q 500+ for two years now, updated when needed. Never a problem. I have belonged to many a forum and see people having issues updating. In most cases it comes down to user error or computer error.
Most times it is not reading the instructions.
Its not rocket science to update but you do need to read and watch some videos if your not sure about what your about to do.
I TOTALLY AGREE! I too was freaked out about doing my upgrades on my Q500 4k! The Drone needed an Update, ST10+, as well as the CG03. I took many evenings, watching You Tube videos, over and over again. And tonight, after all files were ready to go on my 15 Year old Gateway Laptop. Everything went smooth like buttter! I first Downloaded all the the BIN, an ZIP files onto one folder on my desktop. Then systematically while having one window open for the step by step instructions offered by many amazing users on Youtube. Completed each upgrade successfully! The key, is not to skip a single step with any firmware upgrade! One step missed because you chose to upgrade your Drone while not completely into the project and sabotage everything! Well, thats my 10 cents! Happy flying everyone!

Well, I appreciate the complement, but Ive worked in the software and hardware business for decades and performed driver and firmware updates on a lot of machines. Not much you can do when the system stops in the middle.

I agreed.
Mine was bricked same way. It's not rocket science for me but anyway that happened.

I've had so many issues with my Yuneec and not being able to update the firmware or adjust settings through the GUI, and finally broke down and called the company. They were very helpful and efficient, and it took a little time to get to someone who knew more about my problem.

On my 3rd computer, I was able to momentarily connect to the Q500 4k, via the white cable they provide. So I went for the firmware update from 1.5 to 1.7 and it failed mid-upload. Where did that leave me? Well, with a bricked Typhoon - that's where. So it goes back to them today, and it was nice they picked up the cost of shipping.

Anyone know what the turnaround time is from them?

Also, I attached a doc they sent me about debricking a Q500 - maybe it will help someone else.

I had the same with my ST10+ and I had it back within 7 working days. Shipped it to them on Jan 19th and the shipped it back to me on Jan 25th and received it on the 27th. I live about two hours from the repair facility in Ontario Ca. so transit time was short

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis