Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Bulging Battery!!!

Reaction score
140D77DE-D86B-4D8A-B21E-9E24DFA5E6A6.jpeg 7CC6C401-F9F8-4F0A-BBB6-6C291D05101B.jpeg 81F56CB6-6EBB-45DB-914C-9C9E55856197.jpeg 140D77DE-D86B-4D8A-B21E-9E24DFA5E6A6.jpeg 7CC6C401-F9F8-4F0A-BBB6-6C291D05101B.jpeg 81F56CB6-6EBB-45DB-914C-9C9E55856197.jpeg 26EE8F97-230D-4231-9173-B9524EBB7914.jpeg A538B384-CF38-483A-A48E-1BD5A6A8A358.jpeg Ive had my Breeze for a year now. Loved it up until the battery wouldn’t charge. Putting it on the charger resulted in the “abnormal charging” blinking blue light. Bought a new battery. After about a month...same issue! Bought yet another one a couple weeks ago and couldn’t get it to charge even once. Out of the box it was blinking “abnormal charging”. Frustrated because Best Buy Geek Squad wouldn’t even look at the charger or the batteries, I bought a whole new Breeze on Amazon. It came in the other day. Damned if it didn’t have a charger with the same “abnormal charging” blinking light!! So, this morning I noticed that one of the 4 (yep, I now have 4) batteries is bulging! This could not be good!! I can’t seem to get a hold of anyone at Yuneec! Now what do I do????

Do not use the swollen battery... it has reached the end of it's life. The chemical process that causes swelling, makes the battery dangerous to use because of the increased risk of fire. Recommended practice at this point, is to submerge the bulging battery in a small bucket of salt water... 3 TBSP in about a half-gallon. Leave for 3 days... this will discharge the battery to 0.0V. check with a volt meter... When fully discharged, it is safe to dispose of.

Last edited:
I'd force them to honor the 30 day warranty on the batteries. From here on forward I'd find an adapter and a different charger as it looks like the charger is the culprit as 4 in a row shouldn't have the problem.

I use to think the 480(H) came with a decent charger then I got decent charger which makes all the difference!

The bulging battery is a hazard !!! Make a salt solution in a plastic bucket and place that battery in it overnight. This will safely discharge it so it can be placed in the trash.

For the other batteries, do you or someone you know have a multimeter that can be used to measure the voltage of each cell on the batteries? Use the chart in this post to know how to measure each cell Battery blinking blue light.

Report your findings for each battery that is not bulging.

Also, are both chargers giving the same results? Have the batteries been left on the charger after it was unplugged?

Hey is this ParR's fingernails in the pics with nail polish?

I don’t want to dismiss the POSSIBLE danger when a LiPo battery “puffs” and caution is advised, but most LiPo batteries will out-gas at some point. This causes the swelling you see. Over the years I have used 2S thru 6S and series 5S to make a 10S packs. While not desired you will find the outgassing will happen for a variety of reasons - heat, discharging at to high a rate, overcharding, charging to fast, improper cooling during flight and other reasons I’m sure I’m forgetting. A puffed battery is not necessarily bad, it’s just vented gas for one of the above reasons, or other. In my main RC application, I use 6S 4500 35C batteries. I pull up to 80A with normal current being 40A using the throttle to control the planes speed (I’m not racing to see how fast I can fly, but trying to keep constant speed). I monitor airflow over the batteries and adjust air input volume and air exit volume, typically a 1:3 ratio (3 being the exit air volume). The ensures heat is not being trapped in the fuselage. With all these precautions I still get outgassing occasionally. The batteries still perform fine and I still use them, but at any indication of ill-regularity I retire the battery and do what the others state above. I have flown for a year or more with a puffed battery with good performance. You just need to watch it close and look for signs the battery is not performing normally. Monitor each cells voltage when the pack is fully charged (4.2v) and after a flight (the voltages should be very close to the same, let’s say 3.7 volts. If a cell is 3.5v and others are 3.7v don’t use that pack and discard as per above posts.

Good luck.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TroyBoy