Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Buy a 520?

Reaction score
Hi, I have had my 480 for business purpose for almost 2 years.. w/o crash - so far... I am very satisfied and want to step up to a 520, mainly beacause of greater camera options.
Simpel question, can you recommend the 520? Is it reliable and can it offer me a couple of more minutes in the air? Best from Sweden.

The 520 and the H Plus share the same hardware. Both are much more powerful and smoother than the 480. The flight time is much longer. If you only need the 1" sensor, the H Plus is the way to go. If you are looking at mapping or need thermal then the 520 is the right choice.

The 520 and the H Plus share the same hardware. Both are much more powerful and smoother than the 480. The flight time is much longer. If you only need the 1" sensor, the H Plus is the way to go. If you are looking at mapping or need thermal then the 520 is the right choice.
Thanx Steve, I'm looking for the 1" cam(s) but not mapping or thermal. Would it work to buy just the 520 body and use both 480 and 520 with the St16 - not at the same time ofcourse.. ?

Thanx Steve, I'm looking for the 1" cam(s) but not mapping or thermal. Would it work to buy just the 520 body and use both 480 and 520 with the St16 - not at the same time ofcourse.. ?
I have a 520 and use it purely for roof surveys. Great bit of kit!

Thanx Steve, I'm looking for the 1" cam(s) but not mapping or thermal. Would it work to buy just the 520 body and use both 480 and 520 with the St16 - not at the same time ofcourse.. [emoji854]

Sorry, @Photo.

Different flight control software between the H480 and H520/H Plus.

There “may” be claims out there suggesting the data pilot apps “might” be able to co-exist, but... unless you, personally, can properly test and validate the setup, do you want to risk the consequences if something just isn’t quite right and pops up at the worst time?

Good luck, and welcome to the H520 world if that is where you go.

Jeff

The H520 with the E90 camera is the same hardware as the H Plus with the C23 camera.
But the software on those are different and they are not interchangeable. Also the 480 hardware will not work with either.
If your primary interest is in photography/videography then go with the H Plus.
If you want to use different cameras in the future then you will need the 520.

Check this video of CCC mode on the H Plus for videography. The H520 does not have CCC mode, only the H Plus.

Hello, I am considering the H+, however I would be in "No Fly Zones" frequently. If I understand the 520 will operate in these zones and the H+ will not. How difficult is it to release this restriction on the H+ and is the 520 the better way to go ?

The H520 with the E90 camera is the same hardware as the H Plus with the C23 camera.
But the software on those are different and they are not interchangeable. Also the 480 hardware will not work with either.
If your primary interest is in photography/videography then go with the H Plus.
If you want to use different cameras in the future then you will need the 520.

Check this video of CCC mode on the H Plus for videography. The H520 does not have CCC mode, only the H Plus.

But...

The H520 has waypoint planning, similar in functionality to UAV Toolbox (H480 add-on). So, it does have something similar, but not exact as the H+.

Jeff

Hello, I am considering the H+, however I would be in "No Fly Zones" frequently. If I understand the 520 will operate in these zones and the H+ will not. How difficult is it to release this restriction on the H+ and is the 520 the better way to go ?
You need to have your 107 to get a release on the H+.

Certainly, I have been studying for the 107 in great detail and have a relationship with the local airport. I am not doing the "shake and bake" (watching one U-tube vid and take the test). I am curious how difficult the release is to get handled for the H+. Am I correct the 520 has no restriction out of the box ? I like to future proof things, but am not sure if I will go with a 520. As it stands I likely will do a modest amount of commercial work. I farmed till I went broke so I am prepared ...

Reactions: Steve Carr
That is correct. The H520 has no geo-fencing (NFZ) in the firmware. The H Plus does have NFZ firmware but it depends on the airspace designation. It only includes major airports. There is nothing anywhere close to Roseburg, OR. Is that where you fly?

Yes, we only have a regional here. No tower the FBO is the airport authority and manager. It is very unlikely I will ever fly close to a major airport. I may need occasional permission from the Roseburg Regional.

In any case you would not need to do anything with the H Plus. Portland is the only airport listed in the NFZ firmware for OR.

Reactions: Mostbestus
Steve, thanks for the information. I avoid Portland I am a country guy. Although Portland is a beautiful city as large cities go. Kind of a supersized San Francisco.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yuneecfan49