Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

BVLOS coming soon?

Perhaps a definition of “soon” should be published before getting any hopes up. Month, year, decade, or century?

Reactions: Ren57
Perhaps a definition of “soon” should be published before getting any hopes up. Month, year, decade, or century?
That's why I put a question mark. I suppose I could of put possibly or one day.Everyone can draw there own conclusions, when and if.

Even if BLOS becomes legal, I won't. But that's just me.
If they adopt EASA regulations, then the 500m limit would go if you got a lighting system then it's up-to 1500m, I wouldn't feel comfortable with that distance, certainly be plenty of UFO sightings from the public with that set up. Seeing it still gives you the feeling of still being connected, when you can't see it and relying on FPV, then it's unnerving and not recommended.

If they adopt EASA regulations, then the 500m limit would go if you got a lighting system then it's up-to 1500m, I wouldn't feel comfortable with that distance, certainly be plenty of UFO sightings from the public with that set up. Seeing it still gives you the feeling of still being connected, when you can't see it and relying on FPV, then it's unnerving and not recommended.
Totally agree. For me, if I can't see it I'm not in control of it. Simples. I dare say, though, that if the 500m limit goes then some pilots will take advantage of it and, as a consequence, the number of incidents will increase.

For me, removing the 500m limit on the face of it looks like a easement on restrictions that will undoubtedly be welcomed by some in our community, I think it would be a bad move. I understand why and for what reasons this is being proposed but I can just see the possible outcome: "we gave you BLOS but you effed up and killed someone. Now we gonna ban hobby drones".

Indeed and it looks like jobs for the boys as well. I think this is leading to the remote ID area that we were talking about before.... If this ever does become a reality, it looks like it's going to be for big companies using drones to deliver stuff and keep track of infrastructure rather than the everyday hobby or even commercial flyers. Which begs the question. If all these companies are going to be taking up airspace with their operations, will that restrict where the rest of us can fly? Or would remote ID for all drones mean that we would be able to detect the commercial drones if they were flying in the same vicinity as us?

BVLOS is not “unsafe” if a bunch of conditions are met before consideration. Both the equipment and the operators must meet some pretty high standards first. Platforms with “short legs” because of battery and antenna limitations cannot, IMHO, meet those standards.

Even more critical is the operator. People that are not accustomed to monitoring system performance and fuel status will be a problem. Anyone that depends on automation to establish when and how an aircraft returns to the launch point or terminates flight, again IMHO, are automatically disqualified from BVLOS operations. Those in that category that choose to fly BVLOS will be playing a form of Russian Roulette.

Last edited:
Amazon deliveries are still a way off.

I think issues like BVLOS, distance, carrying capacity, etc.....are not insurmountable.

The big problem I see of Amazon’s drone delivery (Prime Air) is the actual delivery itself. Is the drone gonna fly to my porch and drop it? Drop it in the driveway? Sidewalk? What about heavily tree‘d lots? Backyard?

Getting it there is one thing.....dropping it off is another.

I think issues like BVLOS, distance, carrying capacity, etc.....are not insurmountable.

The big problem I see of Amazon’s drone delivery (Prime Air) is the actual delivery itself. Is the drone gonna fly to my porch and drop it? Drop it in the driveway? Sidewalk? What about heavily tree‘d lots? Backyard?

Getting it there is one thing.....dropping it off is another.
Would you need an Amazon Pad. A interactive landing pad which the delivery drone can home in on, placed in a safe area, text message you updates when delivery is imminent. Not sure all homes would compaitable for a delivery drop, perhaps a common drop off area like Amazon locker, which you could go to, inform Amazon you are ready, they send the drone to deliver.

That’s an idea.....an Amazon “Certified Landing Pad”....with perhaps some sort of locating device, or registered location with lat/long coordinates....sold to the customer with instructions to place it in an open sky area secured on the property, like the backyard.....minimum of say 25’ diameter clear access to sky.....it would be an Amazon Device, like Echo with location services enabled.

Amazon deliveries are still a way off.

Not as far as we might think. Over the past 3 months both Amazon and UPS have reached out inquiring if I might be interested in an operator position. UPS has already initiated formation of a flight ops department.

In and of itself an aircraft remote ID feature will not enable BVLOS operations. I suspect there will also be a lot of other training, documentation, maintenance, and system requirements that will be difficult for most to comply with due to the expense involved.

Personally speaking, I probably wouldn't want to go BVLOS in any case. I'm quite happy flying the way that I've been flying anyway. And like you say, if there's a load more paperwork to have to complete and other rules to comply with to make it happen, it wouldn't be worth the hassle for me. Some though, will always want to push the envelope...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval