Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Cable Cam Question:

Reaction score
How smooth are the yaw and pitch transitions when using Cable Cam? Does any know of a good video demonstrating this?

They are fine in the recorded video but my live video feed stutters and makes it impossible to tell if you are keeping it smooth. Also speed control in CCC mode seems to never go above 11MPH...it really is a poor implementation

They are fine in the recorded video but my live video feed stutters and makes it impossible to tell if you are keeping it smooth. Also speed control in CCC mode seems to never go above 11MPH...it really is a poor implementation[/QUOTE

Have you posted or seen any posted?

I haven't posted anything out of the H yet. The pan and tilt are no different than the Inspire or P4. My point is just that the stuttering video makes it impossible to know that things are smooth and consistent during the actual recording.

P4 and Inspire don't have Cable Cam so they can't be the same. I am hoping to find out how smoothly the Cable Cam automates the gimbal pitches and yaws transitions during Cable Cam segments. The 3DR Solo does a great job with those transitions which the P4 can't duplicate even with 3rd party apps.

Would like to see if the H can match or exceed it for "cinematic" filming rather than just filming. Some don't care about or appreciate the difference.

This example shows the smooth transitions the Solo is capable of. If the H can match this it will be a serious contender. Hoping to see some well shot Cable Cams from the H.

Sorry I misunderstood your question. I never fly fully automated like what you're after. The Inspire and P4 most certainly support what you'really asking for via Autopilot or Litchi.

If I take the H out this weekend I'll get you some sample clips.

P4 and Inspire don't have Cable Cam so they can't be the same. I am hoping to find out how smoothly the Cable Cam automates the gimbal pitches and yaws transitions during Cable Cam segments. The 3DR Solo does a great job with those transitions which the P4 can't duplicate even with 3rd party apps.

Would like to see if the H can match or exceed it for "cinematic" filming rather than just filming. Some don't care about or appreciate the difference.

This example shows the smooth transitions the Solo is capable of. If the H can match this it will be a serious contender. Hoping to see some well shot Cable Cams from the H.

You may have your info a bit outdated. The Phantom 3, 4 and Inspire all use the DJI Go App which has an Intelligent Flight Modes from last year called WAYPOINTS. It is sort of like curved cable cam but not exactly. You have a choice of flying the path with the Phantom pointing in the direction you set the waypoints, or in the direction you turn it along the path. This allows the Phantom to fly in one direction while you spin it to capture that smooth shot focusing on objects as you fly by.

WAYPOINTS.jpg

Reactions: QuadBart
Sorry I misunderstood your question. I never fly fully automated like what you're after. The Inspire and P4 most certainly support what you'really asking for via Autopilot or Litchi.

If I take the H out this weekend I'll get you some sample clips.

While they support what the Solo does they don't come close to the smooth transitions necessary for cinematic filming.

You may have your info a bit outdated. The Phantom 3, 4 and Inspire all use the DJI Go App which has an Intelligent Flight Modes from last year called WAYPOINTS. It is sort of like curved cable cam but not exactly. You have a choice of flying the path with the Phantom pointing in the direction you set the waypoints, or in the direction you turn it along the path. This allows the Phantom to fly in one direction while you spin it to capture that smooth shot focusing on objects as you fly by.

View attachment 1394

You may not understand MPCC on the Solo it does all the yawing and gimbal pitches automatically. Litchi and Autopilot are required on the Ps to provide the base functionality of Solo's MPCC; unfortunately they don't provide the same level of smoothness in the transitions.

Did you watch the video I posted. Can the H come close to that; the Ps can't yet?

You may not understand MPCC on the Solo it does all the yawing and gimbal pitches automatically. Litchi and Autopilot are required on the Ps to provide the base functionality of Solo's MPCC; unfortunately they don't provide the same level of smoothness in the transitions.

Did you watch the video I posted. Can the H come close to that; the Ps can't yet?
I watched the video and it is photography easily accomplished with most drones with pilot input.

If you set up a shot with autonomous flight modes the camera will never know where to point unless you tell it ahead of time or during the flight.

I watched the video and it is photography easily accomplished with most drones with pilot input.

If you set up a shot with autonomous flight modes the camera will never know where to point unless you tell it ahead of time or during the flight.

Please point me to video shot by a pilot alone that shows that level of smootheness with transitions in all five axis?

As to your second point that is the whole idea of Cable Cams. That is why I asked the question. Can the Cable Cam of the H provide that level of smoothness in transitions in five dimensions? Your reply didn't address the question.

Please point me to video shot by a pilot alone that shows that level of smootheness with transitions in all five axis?

As to your second point that is the whole idea of Cable Cams. That is why I asked the question. Can the Cable Cam of the H provide that level of smoothness in transitions in five dimensions? Your reply didn't address the question.

What I'm saying is that any experienced drone pilot could do this. The flying smoothness is the easy part. The camera smoothness of tracking an object as the drone rises and lowers is the more difficult part, but it is possible.

All Yuneec Curved Cable Cam or DJI Waypoints does is allows a pilot to fly the course once while setting waypoints at each transition. Then have the drone fly the course all the while the pilot now controls the camera or camera and orientation and speed (DJI allows speed).

As I understand it, in CCC the pilot uses the left stick to control the speed through the course and the right stick to control the pitch and yaw of the gimbal, which I think could be done very smoothly. Does DJI Waypoints work the same way? Curved Cable Cam is THE main reason I'm getting an H and not a P4.

Left stick starts the CCC journey and adjusts the speed faster/slower as it flies the waypoints in a curved fashion. It works very well it's the primary mode I fly my Typhoon H to record construction and buildings.

As I understand it, in CCC the pilot uses the left stick to control the speed through the course and the right stick to control the pitch and yaw of the gimbal, which I think could be done very smoothly. Does DJI Waypoints work the same way? Curved Cable Cam is THE main reason I'm getting an H and not a P4.
Yes and no. The control sticks don't operate the camera on the P3/P4 in WAYPOINTS mode. When the P3/P4 is flying through the course, you can control the yaw direction and at the same time control the up/down camera movement with the camera control dial. It is very smooth and effective. Most of the DJI promotion videos make use of such features in their product movies.

One thing to note is the CCC or WAYPOINTS are only useful when filming stationary objects. When objects are moving you can achieve the same results without using CCC or WAYPOINTS, but that is where pilot skills come into play.

I would think that a moving subject would be the perfect time to use CCC. I want to be able to focus completely on framing the shot without having to worry about where the camera is flying. Situations that would be optimally shot using one person flying and another operating the camera, but could be done single handed with CCC. I shoot stock photos and videos, and I'm really hoping I can make this work.

I would think that a moving subject would be the perfect time to use CCC. I want to be able to focus completely on framing the shot without having to worry about where the camera is flying. Situations that would be optimally shot using one person flying and another operating the camera, but could be done single handed with CCC. I shoot stock photos and videos, and I'm really hoping I can make this work.
The reason that moving objects are not great with CCC (Yuneec) or WAYPOINTS (DJI) is due to the speed of the moving object and the speed of the drone. Both systems are not optimal for major speed adjustments.

The H is limited to 11MPH in CCC mode. This is a serious limitation that makes it a joke for my intended use.

The reason that moving objects are not great with CCC (Yuneec) or WAYPOINTS (DJI) is due to the speed of the moving object and the speed of the drone. Both systems are not optimal for major speed adjustments.

Litchi and Autopilot solve this issue and give me real-time speed control while traveling along the cable. This is the best solution currently for a situation where you need to vary speed easilly along the route

Litchi and Autopilot solve this issue and give me real-time speed control while traveling along the cable. This is the best solution currently for a situation where you need to vary speed easilly along the route

I've read similar statements. Sorry, neither Litchi, Autopilot or Yuneec have the computing power to do what Solo does even if they copied the code verbatim. It's a math problem requiring some serious computing power. Solo is definitely in its own class with respect to camera shots.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval