Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Camera Quality Opinion

Reaction score
Website
www.linkedin.com
Looking for a brutally honest answer. Is there an appreciable difference in photo quality between the CG03 and the CG03+. I get the advantages of the H vs Q, and the 360-degree rotation of the H gimbal. But all that aside, if you put footage/photos from both side by side, could you tell the difference?

Nothing brutal about it. They are the same camera, mounted on different gimbals. There were a couple of modifications to the CGo3 camera mainboard along the way, the final versions of CG03 came with camera mainboards actually marked as CGo3+. They run slightly different firmware, and I have found no way to transpose CGo3+ firmware to a CGo3, but there isn't much functional difference in the resolution ranges. If there is a difference in final image, I can't see it.

Nothing brutal about it. They are the same camera, mounted on different gimbals. There were a couple of modifications to the CGo3 camera mainboard along the way, the final versions of CG03 came with camera mainboards actually marked as CGo3+. They run slightly different firmware, and I have found no way to transpose CGo3+ firmware to a CGo3, but there isn't much functional difference in the resolution ranges. If there is a difference in final image, I can't see it.
I had a feeling that might be the case. Operating on a limited budget to replace my lost Q seeing as though I had just bought it. So hard to justify spending and not getting an upgrade to the CG03. Looking around for something used/cheap in good condition. Want to stick with Yuneec and stay a part of the community, but it's a jungle of competition out there. 4k/60fps/1" sensor brand new for $1k. Just wish those things didn't fold up like little toys. Already have a Hubsan Zino 2 that takes beautiful 4k/60fps footage and the gimbal is super smooth.

I understand being on a budget, however if you want to stay with Yuneec and can find a deal on a Typhoon H Plus you will not regret it. Be patient and treat a Plus with respect and you will be rewarded with a superior 1" 4K 60fps 360° camera and flight dynamics that a Q500 or Typhoon H can only dream of. It's unfortunate that the H Plus was released as Yuneec customer service went to **** because the hardware platform is solid. The gimbals on the ST16S are the only weak link and must be checked religiously, the same can be said of any Yuneec transmitter. My opinion is based on owning a Chroma 4K, Q500 4K, Typhoon H, and a Typhoon H Plus.

RG

I had a feeling that might be the case. Operating on a limited budget to replace my lost Q seeing as though I had just bought it. So hard to justify spending and not getting an upgrade to the CG03. Looking around for something used/cheap in good condition. Want to stick with Yuneec and stay a part of the community, but it's a jungle of competition out there. 4k/60fps/1" sensor brand new for $1k. Just wish those things didn't fold up like little toys. Already have a Hubsan Zino 2 that takes beautiful 4k/60fps footage and the gimbal is super smooth.
To clarify a bit, you had asked about photo quality between the cameras. Yeah, the cameras are pretty much the same, but the gimbals are not, and it is not just about the 360 degree rotation. The pitch (tilt) of a CGo3 may not work on a TH. I'm not sure if that is universal for all TH and all CGo3, but pitch is very glitchy when I mount a CGo3 on my TH. I can kind of get it to work by messing with it, but it certainly isn't a straight out response to the tilt slider. I tried two ST16s and four CGo3s, but I only have one Typhoon H available. All cameras on both controllers had the same glitchy performance. CG03+ cameras work smoothly using either of the controllers when mounted on that same TH.
This might be an issue isolated to this particular Typhoon H. I don't know. If anyone else has used CGo3 on Typhoon H, it would be good to hear some other opinions.

I understand being on a budget, however if you want to stay with Yuneec and can find a deal on a Typhoon H Plus you will not regret it. Be patient and treat a Plus with respect and you will be rewarded with a superior 1" 4K 60fps 360° camera and flight dynamics that a Q500 or Typhoon H can only dream of. It's unfortunate that the H Plus was released as Yuneec customer service went to **** because the hardware platform is solid. The gimbals on the ST16S are the only weak link and must be checked religiously, the same can be said of any Yuneec transmitter. My opinion is based on owning a Chroma 4K, Q500 4K, Typhoon H, and a Typhoon H Plus.

RG
The H+ is my top choice of any drone. Wish I could find a good deal on one! There was someone selling one a while ago, but he kind of dropped out of the forum. Tried contacting him via his thread but no answer. Finally answered a DM message a week ago but then never heard back from him.

To clarify a bit, you had asked about photo quality between the cameras. Yeah, the cameras are pretty much the same, but the gimbals are not, and it is not just about the 360 degree rotation. The pitch (tilt) of a CGo3 may not work on a TH. I'm not sure if that is universal for all TH and all CGo3, but pitch is very glitchy when I mount a CGo3 on my TH. I can kind of get it to work by messing with it, but it certainly isn't a straight out response to the tilt slider. I tried two ST16s and four CGo3s, but I only have one Typhoon H available. All cameras on both controllers had the same glitchy performance. CG03+ cameras work smoothly using either of the controllers when mounted on that same TH.
This might be an issue isolated to this particular Typhoon H. I don't know. If anyone else has used CGo3 on Typhoon H, it would be good to hear some other opinions.
How would you compare the gimbal on the TH to the TH+? Are they the same? BTW, I just saw someone on Ebay selling a TH with a thermal camera mounted. Can you swap cameras out on a TH? I think he had it mounted some other way, but the thermal worked with the ST16. Here' the link: ebay thermal TH Can you swap out cameras with the H+?

How would you compare the gimbal on the TH to the TH+? Are they the same? BTW, I just saw someone on Ebay selling a TH with a thermal camera mounted. Can you swap cameras out on a TH? I think he had it mounted some other way, but the thermal worked with the ST16. Here' the link: ebay thermal TH Can you swap out cameras with the H+?
"How would you compare the gimbal on the TH to the TH+? Are they the same?"
No. Not the same. The HPlus uses the C23 as the standard camera. The gimbal (and the camera) on the HPlus is a total redesign. The camera/gimbals are not interchangeable between the two models. The HPlus LOOKS a lot like the TH, but it is a completely different model other than a few exterior body parts.

" ...a TH with a thermal camera mounted. Can you swap cameras out on a TH?"
Yes, there is a version of the CGOET made specifically for the Typhoon H. I don't think there were any other cameras that will work on the TH itself. The ST16 has a selection for a CGo4, but I think that was intended for use when the controller is used to fly an H920. The ST16 also has a selection for the CGo3. But even if you select CGo3, you still don't get the photographic settings/options for the CGo3 that are available on the ST10+. And the onscreen video is not good unless you can upgrade to the latest CGo3 firmware. Not all CGo3 cameras will upgrade to the latest.

Can you swap out cameras with the H+?
No. Cameras for the H+ will not work on the Typhoon H.

Overall. my take is that if you want to stay with CGo3, you need to fly it on another Q500. If you want to fly a TH, you really should get a CGo3+.

Reactions: dronefisher
I'm not sure if that is universal for all TH and all CGo3, but pitch is very glitchy when I mount a CGo3 on my TH.
I have had only a few tests with CGO3 on Typhoon H but did not recognized problems with tilt functionality. May be the reason is that I used a voltage converter from 4S battery voltage to 12V to supply the CGO3. I did it just to be sure my one and only CGO3 will not die due to (not really neccessary) tests.

Here is a video of such flight:

Unfortunately there is only a very, very short sequence tilting the cam. I will ckeck the raw files if I can find it if more tilting is in.

br HE

"How would you compare the gimbal on the TH to the TH+? Are they the same?"
No. Not the same. The HPlus uses the C23 as the standard camera. The gimbal (and the camera) on the HPlus is a total redesign. The camera/gimbals are not interchangeable between the two models. The HPlus LOOKS a lot like the TH, but it is a completely different model other than a few exterior body parts.

" ...a TH with a thermal camera mounted. Can you swap cameras out on a TH?"
Yes, there is a version of the CGOET made specifically for the Typhoon H. I don't think there were any other cameras that will work on the TH itself. The ST16 has a selection for a CGo4, but I think that was intended for use when the controller is used to fly an H920. The ST16 also has a selection for the CGo3. But even if you select CGo3, you still don't get the photographic settings/options for the CGo3 that are available on the ST10+. And the onscreen video is not good unless you can upgrade to the latest CGo3 firmware. Not all CGo3 cameras will upgrade to the latest.

Can you swap out cameras with the H+?
No. Cameras for the H+ will not work on the Typhoon H.

Overall. my take is that if you want to stay with CGo3, you need to fly it on another Q500. If you want to fly a TH, you really should get a CGo3+.
Thanks, W. Answering everything with clear precision as always. But I didn't write one question clearly. Can you use any other cameras on the H+ beyond what it comes with?

Thanks, W. Answering everything with clear precision as always. But I didn't write one question clearly. Can you use any other cameras on the H+ beyond what it comes with?
Only the C23 (E90 on H520).

Reactions: dronefisher

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval