Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Can an ST16 Pro controller be used with a Tornado H920 (not plus)? Or a CGO4 with ST24?

Reaction score
I recently purchased a new H920 (not the plus model). It came with 2 ST24's. I already have a plus model with a CGO4 camera/ST16 that is outstanding. I purchased this model with the V18 camera thinking it might be useful for infrastructure inspections but the camera quality is downright horrid, not focusing the entire picture, especially while zoomed all the way out. I would like to change it out to a CGO4 camera but was told that the camera feed from the CGO4 back to the ST24 controller is poor. I don't know if that's the case or not. The menu on the ST24 does specify the CGO4 as one of its options. If it is not compatible with the ST24, can I then switch to using as ST16 pro controller with the H920 if it is not a 920 plus? Any help is appreciated before I bite the bullet and buy one and/or the other. Thanks! Joe

The CGO4 camera from your H920+ will work on the H920. Give it a try! If you like the results you get, purchase another CGO4. To my knowledge the ST-16 from your H920+ is not compatible with the H920, and the ST-24’s are not compatible with the H920+.

I’m sure @PatR can shed wisdom here.

Reactions: Docdor
I believe there two versions of the CGO4. The first version works with the H920/ST24. The second version( actually a modified first version) works with the H920Plus/ST16. FYI the ST24 will work with the H920Plus in team mode controlling the GB603 gimbal. See my earlier post on this configuration.

Thanks. I've found another CGO4 on ebay and am going to purchase it. Hopefully it will work alright on the H920 with the ST24. I'll keep you posted. In the meantime, I am going to reset and rebind the V18 camera to the ST24 and see if I get any different results although I am doubtful.

The CGO4 camera from your H920+ will work on the H920. Give it a try! If you like the results you get, purchase another CGO4. To my knowledge the ST-16 from your H920+ is not compatible with the H920, and the ST-24’s are not compatible with the H920+.

I’m sure @PatR can shed wisdom here.
A 920+ will not work with the cgo4 from a 920 and visa versa. I have both and the camera will mess up the drone. I had the 920 actually fire up on boot after trying the cgo4+ camera on it.

I'm not able to shed any wisdom but I am able to relay my experience.

Reactions: DoomMeister
A 920+ will not work with the cgo4 from a 920 and visa versa. I have both and the camera will mess up the drone. I had the 920 actually fire up on boot after trying the cgo4+ camera on it.

I'm not able to shed any wisdom but I am able to relay my experience.
Thanks T! That is the wisdom I was looking for.

Yuneec has pulled so much older information off of their website! Had I known two years ago what direction they were heading I would have d/l’d more info and stored it for reference.

So the CGO4 has different firmware and gimbal firmware depending on which 920 it was meant to be mounted on. Must be like the CGO-ET being different for the H480’s and H520. Not interchangeable and camera firmware cannot be used to switch functionality.

Reactions: thoneter
Well, I'm taking a bit of a gamble but I did order another CGO4 but unknown which version. There were 2 for sale on ebay and one offered free returns so that is the one I went with. If it doesn't work, back it goes. Thanks and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Well, I'm taking a bit of a gamble but I did order another CGO4 but unknown which version. There were 2 for sale on ebay and one offered free returns so that is the one I went with. If it doesn't work, back it goes. Thanks and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
I suspect you are getting a H920/ST24 compatible CGO4. I think most of the CGO4 units converted for H920Plus/ST16 use were paired and sold as a camera/drone package. The original H920/ST24 was sold W/O camera. Also all the converted H920Plus/ST16 compatible CGO4 units that I have seen have two small wire antennas ( 2.4GHz?) hanging down from the gimbal control module. Something that is easy to check.
Would be interested to hear your comparison of the flight characteristics of the H920 and the H920Plus. I find the H920 much more difficult to touch down softly than the H920Plus. I suspect the altitude pressure sensor in the H920 is being influenced by ground air reflections causing the H920 to oscillations vertically close to the ground. The H920Plus has a different flight controller and pressure sensor and I find it quite easy to land softly.

I suspect you are getting a H920/ST24 compatible CGO4. I think most of the CGO4 units converted for H920Plus/ST16 use were paired and sold as a camera/drone package. The original H920/ST24 was sold W/O camera. Also all the converted H920Plus/ST16 compatible CGO4 units that I have seen have two small wire antennas ( 2.4GHz?) hanging down from the gimbal control module. Something that is easy to check.
Would be interested to hear your comparison of the flight characteristics of the H920 and the H920Plus. I find the H920 much more difficult to touch down softly than the H920Plus. I suspect the altitude pressure sensor in the H920 is being influenced by ground air reflections causing the H920 to oscillations vertically close to the ground. The H920Plus has a different flight controller and pressure sensor and I find it quite easy to land softly.
I find the 920 much more difficult to land then the 480. The 920+ from my understanding is the 480 guts put into the 920. I know when I tried to pair the + camera to the 920 it was a strange ordeal. 2 drones would show up for the pairing and when paired the different controller options on the 24 would do some funky things.

I was pretty startled when the 920 with carbon blades attached fired up on boot. Learned my lesson quickly as the 920 is a cuisanart on steroids and I was really happy my hands/body was not in the path of the spinning blades.

Reactions: Steve Carr
The 920 is such a great platform. I'd like to see the bird get the 480+ hardware with a nice Sony mirrorless camera. Guess I'll go with the old school song which says I like dreaming cause dreaming can make you mine!

Well, we'll find out tomorrow if I have a compatible camera or not as soon as FedEx arrives.

I have definitely noticed a difference in the flight characteristics of the two drones. The 920 has a tendency to drift a bit at low altitude whereas the 920+ seems much more stable. And, as you mentioned, there is a noticeable difference in landing. The 920+ seems to just float down very gently and land whereas the 920 is akin to a man getting into tub full of hot water. He has to slowly test it a bit before settling in and that's what the 920 seems to do; it sort of "bounces" above the ground a bit and will sometimes lift an inch or two back up from the ground before setting down for good. Glad to hear someone else has the same observation.
Thanks for the info; my thoughts were much the same. I'm getting this cam from a drone supply house in the LA area that I guess they just had lying about so I'm hoping it is the 920 model.

I find the 920 much more difficult to land then the 480. The 920+ from my understanding is the 480 guts put into the 920. I know when I tried to pair the + camera to the 920 it was a strange ordeal. 2 drones would show up for the pairing and when paired the different controller options on the 24 would do some funky things.

I was pretty startled when the 920 with carbon blades attached fired up on boot. Learned my lesson quickly as the 920 is a cuisanart on steroids and I was really happy my hands/body was not in the path of the spinning blades.
Your response is exactly why I plan on the initial testing of the new camera on the ground and "bladeless." I already cut myself on one of the carbon blades just by handling it a bit carelessly. They are more like knives than propellers.

Last edited:
The 920 is such a great platform. I'd like to see the bird get the 480+ hardware with a nice Sony mirrorless camera. Guess I'll go with the old school song which says I like dreaming cause dreaming can make you mine!
I wish that Yuneec had not discontinued it as well. It is a rock solid camera platform and easy to to keep VLOS, especially with strobes. I had to get used to looking up and thinking that it was not gaining altitude after flying a Typhoon for years. No, its just so much larger that it just looked like it was closer than it was. I just wish it had been designed with a bit more flexibility for cameras/sensors. A bit shortsighted for what is supposed to be a "professional" drone. I bought the ones I have only because of the price reduction.
I have also had problems with Yuneec's US website. My computer will not allow me onto it as it tells me the security cert. has expired. This does not bode I well I think.

See my post on the H920Plus forum discussion. H920Plus/ST16 and GB603/ST24 in team mode with a Sony A7RII. It takes a little work but cannot beat the price for a full frame 42 mega pixel camera In the air.

See my post on the H920Plus forum discussion. H920Plus/ST16 and GB603/ST24 in team mode with a Sony A7RII. It takes a little work but cannot beat the price for a full frame 42 mega pixel camera In the air.
I'd love to do that. Can you put a link to that post? I'm fairly good with my hands if it's a house build or a car overhaul but not so much when it comes to opening up these chinese plastic snap together shells. I'm also a pretty poor solderer and paid PatR to build leads for the 920 batteries I bought.

Just checking the camera/gimbal setup on my 920 Plus. No wire antennae hanging down. Guess we'll see what I get tomorrow. There are antenna wires on the 920 with the V18 camera however.

The 920+ does not use “the guts” of a 480. The FC is completely different physically. But it does employ the 480 software plus a little extra. It’s my belief the landing differences are due to 480 firmware upgrades that were implemented to make the H480 easier to land for beginner pilots.

As Seabee and Oneter have already pointed out, the ST-16 cannot be used with the 920 and there’s a firmware difference in the CGO-4 that makes it compatible with one model or the other. They are not interchangeable.

Just checking the camera/gimbal setup on my 920 Plus. No wire antennae hanging down. Guess we'll see what I get tomorrow. There are antenna wires on the 920 with the V18 camera however.
see attached photo of CGO4(for plus) wire antennas. 710278A4-A25E-4512-B5A1-09E591E66FA7.jpeg

Ok, about 95% good news. The CGO4 arrived this morning and I promptly connected it to the 920 (again, not the plus model). After some finagling with the ST24, telling it about 3 times to use the CGO4 app, I got it to recognize the camera. Then, yikes, it asks me for a password. Thank goodness for this website. Did a quick search and found that the generic password of the numerals 1 thru 0 usually works. Put that in and about 5 seconds later it said, "Camera Connected." About 30 seconds later, I had a picture on my ST24. I did a couple of quick bench photos and videos and it seemed to work fine. I flight tested a few minutes ago and no problems. Drone and camera both functioned as normal. The only drawback (the 5% part) is that the inflight picture feedback to the ST24 leaves a bit to be desired. A little laggy (if that's a word) and a bit blurry from time to time compared to the ST16 on my plus model. The important part however is that I took a few stills at about 150' AGL and a couple of quick vids and they both came out sharp and clear; much better resolution than with the V18 camera. The only other complaint is that the zoom with the ST24 is still controlled by the K6 slider instead of on screen as with the ST16. Not much of problem but it does wait until the slider is maxed before it begins to zoom and then goes all the way to 42mm. If you want something less than 42 but more than 14, you have to start zooming out and then stop it where you want. Not much of an issue but worth mentioning.
Thanks to all for the help and suggestions. More trials to come in the future.

Ok, about 95% good news. The CGO4 arrived this morning and I promptly connected it to the 920 (again, not the plus model). After some finagling with the ST24, telling it about 3 times to use the CGO4 app, I got it to recognize the camera. Then, yikes, it asks me for a password. Thank goodness for this website. Did a quick search and found that the generic password of the numerals 1 thru 0 usually works. Put that in and about 5 seconds later it said, "Camera Connected." About 30 seconds later, I had a picture on my ST24. I did a couple of quick bench photos and videos and it seemed to work fine. I flight tested a few minutes ago and no problems. Drone and camera both functioned as normal. The only drawback (the 5% part) is that the inflight picture feedback to the ST24 leaves a bit to be desired. A little laggy (if that's a word) and a bit blurry from time to time compared to the ST16 on my plus model. The important part however is that I took a few stills at about 150' AGL and a couple of quick vids and they both came out sharp and clear; much better resolution than with the V18 camera. The only other complaint is that the zoom with the ST24 is still controlled by the K6 slider instead of on screen as with the ST16. Not much of problem but it does wait until the slider is maxed before it begins to zoom and then goes all the way to 42mm. If you want something less than 42 but more than 14, you have to start zooming out and then stop it where you want. Not much of an issue but worth mentioning.
Thanks to all for the help and suggestions. More trials to come in the future.
I had the same issues trying to pair the camera. Even when it paired it sometimes disappeared for me and I had to do it again. Not a big fan of linking the camera to the bird or to an app to use the hand held gimbal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval