Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Can I Add Collision Avoidance to My Q500 4k Typhoon and...

Reaction score
I like the way my Q500 4K flies and performs but I am wondering if there are add ons such as collision avoidance and pre-programmed flight?

I too was concerned about this. I guess collision avoidance in our case is reaching an elevation higher than anything else that could be in it's path.

Even without collision avoidance being available, it would be REALLY nice if the RTH function would allow height adjustment. IE: In the area I fly, there are numerous objects higher than 30ft (default altitude for RTH) around me. So in the event of lost signal, or some other scenario that would involve the function being activated, the drone would raise up to a safe height (In my case it would be 60ft) and come back to me without any objects in it's path.

I would think adding this feature/option would be a matter of a firmware update.

As I think we all know yuneec have finished with updates for the Q platform unfortunately I enjoy flying my Q keep saying I will upgrade to the H but if am totally honest the Q does what I need it to do so I will just be sticking with it

I have no illusions that Yuneec is going to provide any more firmware updates for the Q500 platform. It's more just idle wishing. In any event, I did start a support ticket asking for the firmware update anyway.

You never know.....

But I won't hold my breath. ;-)

Yes I agree no harm asking as surly yuneec must know the Q is still a very reliable drone and still being bought from companies that have stock

I got a reply from Yuneec for my height adjust option:

Sent: 2/1/2018
Subject: RTH height adjustment

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Yuneec! We will definitely take that into consideration and forward your idea to our product dev team so that it can possibly be implemented into a future update. Hope this helps and if you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us.

Thank you

Customer Service | Yuneec USA
2275 Sampson Ave. Ste 200
Corona, CA 92879
T: 844 898 6332

Nice of them to reply. I will not hold my breath waiting for the update. Blue is not my color.... ;)

I would assume this was a chip function more than a software patch?

Is there anything of note coming from the SDK users?

The firmware is written to a specific minimum height (In the case of the Q500 it's 30 ft) for RTH unless the quad is above that height. In that case the bird will perform the function at whatever height it is at. All I am asking for is the ability to get into the firmware and tell it I want a minimum of 60 feet.

Heck I wouldn't care if Yuneec didn't make the option available for the end user to change, just write a patch that changes the default height to 60 feet instead of 30.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430