Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Can I use this antenna?

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if we can use the following antenna for the 5.8ghz video signal. Its a 29dbi mounted antenna so the installation will be using a cable from the antenna to the antenna connector in the transmitter. The transmitter doesn't have the connectors by default so I will have to install one, just like we do when installing the Itelite antenna kit.

5.8 GHz 29 dBi Die Cast Aluminum Reflector Grid Antenna - HG5829EG

I am thinking about building a ground station using 2x roof or tripod mounted 2.4ghz antennas and this 5.8ghz antenna connected via coaxial antenna cables to the transmitter connectors.

Will it work?

Seriously use that antenna? :eek:
How about you try it out and let us know how it works...:D

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if we can use the following antenna for the 5.8ghz video signal. Its a 29dbi mounted antenna so the installation will be using a cable from the antenna to the antenna connector in the transmitter. The transmitter doesn't have the connectors by default so I will have to install one, just like we do when installing the Itelite antenna kit.

5.8 GHz 29 dBi Die Cast Aluminum Reflector Grid Antenna - HG5829EG

I am thinking about building a ground station using 2x roof or tripod mounted 2.4ghz antennas and this 5.8ghz antenna connected via coaxial antenna cables to the transmitter connectors.

Will it work?
What is your purpose for a ground station?

2 Problems,
1) the 5.8 signal from the camera uses a circularly polarized antenna. The linked antenna is vertical or horizontal depending on mounting. You could see a 50% or more REDUCTION in signal.
2) The beam width on the antenna you linked to would be very narrow. you would need a second person to keep it aimed at the aircraft.

Thanks everyone for the accurate answers. BobW55, I didnt know about the polarization of the 5.8ghz signal in the Q500. And, regarding to the beam width of the signal, you are also right. It will be difficult to keep it aimed at the aircraft all of the times without losing video link using the less than 5 degrees the linked antenna has.

AH-1G, the purpose of a ground station will be to be able to mount big antennas to have the longest range possible. People often refer to ground station as external displays mounted on a tripod, but no, a ground station for me would be a tripod for big antennas connected to the transmitter via SMA connectors.

So, what I have understood so far is that the ideal external antenna needs to be:
*Circularly polarized (still don't know whether it should have right or left circular polarization)
*A directional antenna with a higher signal spectrum. Or an Omnidirectional antenna. The latter being more expensive.

How is the polarization on the 2.4ghz signal and why the ST10+ has 2 antennas for that signal?

Polarization is right handed and the duel antennas are for redundancy.
Personally i think your putting to much into it.
How far do you want to go and still be somewhat legal ?
Simple Q and transmitter mods will get you 5000'. Add in the Sunhans extenders and get twice that distance.
No big antennas or tripods needed...
Just my thought.
:)

I dont know what legal issues I might have down here in south florida other than the 400ft in height. I am only intetested in flying far away but not higher than 400 ft.

So you are saying that polarization is circular right handed for the 2.4ghz antenna?

What about the 5.8ghz signal. Is it circular right handed too?

Your supposed to keep your drone in LOS (line of sight). At 2000 feet, your lucky if you can see a spec and if you move your eyes for a second, you'll lose it all together.
For me, it's opposite. I want the range for hill climbing and altitude. Not so much for distance.
Both the wifi's are right hand polarity.
:)

South Florida is flat. There is no mountains in here... that might be why I am concerned about horizontal distance.

I think a better way to go is mod the Q500 with external antennas for the video and control. And add the Itelite Antenna Kit to the ST10+. Although I would have loved to mount an antenna in my house roof, run coaxial cables into my room and fly my drone far away from my couch... lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwclarc1