Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Can the camera follow the wizard while using the ST16

Reaction score
Hi guys, just got my Typhoon and want to know the options. I am a wedding videographer so one thing I am hoping it can do is automatically follow the wizard with it's camera while I fly it with the ground station. I could slip the wizard into a grooms pocket and do some pretty great shots if it could. But I haven't seen anywhere that it can do that. Seems like it does the opposite, where you fly with the wizard and use the ground station to control the camera. Can I do that?

Hi guys, just got my Typhoon and want to know the options. I am a wedding videographer so one thing I am hoping it can do is automatically follow the wizard with it's camera while I fly it with the ground station. I could slip the wizard into a grooms pocket and do some pretty great shots if it could. But I haven't seen anywhere that it can do that. Seems like it does the opposite, where you fly with the wizard and use the ground station to control the camera. Can I do that?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think that the st16 is used as the camera controller when put in team mode with the wizard. It would only make sense that it could be done that way but I don't think you can.

The best way to get what you want is to pre-plan a CCC mission and let the H fly autonomously along the route while you have full control of the camera from the ST16's right stick.

The best way to get what you want is to pre-plan a CCC mission and let the H fly autonomously along the route while you have full control of the camera from the ST16's right stick.
Perfect solution. Also something that requires a lot of testing ahead of time so that you learn how to control the speed along the flight path as well as the camera at the same time.

The wizard is a flight controller rather than a camera controller. The ST16 is both.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
@Steve Carr is right. These missions require a good understanding of the steps to implement them and it takes experience starting/pausing/stopping an autonomous flight, monitoring that flight while ongoing; and trying to focus on the subject. I would recommend finding a field and practice shooting away from everything and use a spotter if you can.

Thanks for the advice guys. Do you think that adds extra time to get the shot? Probably can't spend more than 5 minutes getting aerial footage during the bride and groom session. That's why I went with Yuneec, getting the typhoon up in the air is so quick and easy. It takes guys with DJI's way to long to get their drones in the air.

Basically the CCC mission is a pre-planned route using way-points. The operative word is "pre", so basically it would require you to go to the location prior to the event and set the way-points, test fly the mission making sure it operates the way you want it then you would save the mission. When its showtime, you would need to be pre positioned outside - I am assuming you want to get them walking out right after the ceremony - so you would need to have your timing down. You would set up minutes before the end of ceremonies, take off and initiate the mission. The aircraft will fly to point one and await your command to go.

Having said that - its a lot to pull off to be honest. Timing would be everything, your going to have align the timing of the aircraft boot up sequence and getting into the air and at way-point one (maybe) 3 to 4 minutes with the end of the ceremony going exactly as practiced. Not to mention that your going to have to get proficient with operating the camera and keeping the subject framed.

On a side note, My wife shoots a lot of weddings. I was talked into filming one once - Nothing went as rehearsed of course and all of my pre-planned shots and movements between certain points were blown - I have since been cured and stick to real estate and hobby work. :) But seriously, it sounds like you have a vision for your work so I would plan it, practice it, and shoot it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
x640536786