Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Can the H record a flight path that can be used again and again?

Reaction score
Hello All,

Does anyone know if the Typhoon can record coordinates during a flight so that it can fly to those same points months later?

My task is to fly to these same points once a month for a year to take pictures of a construction project. The goal is to show monthly development from the exact same point of view.

Thanks,

You didn't specify which Typhoon H you were asking about. In either case the answer is Yes. It is the CCC (Curved Cable Cam) option in the "Tasks" menu.
You will find a section explaining how it works in the manual for any of the Typhoon H series. However it should be noted the procedure is different for the H480 and the H Plus.

Last edited:
The only way to do this is Curved cable Cam, a task described in the manual. Curved cable cam (Task CCC) offers no hard waypoints but a smooth flight path that can be recorded once and then done as often as you want.

You also can create a CCC task from a previous made fligt using the FlightLog. The CCC result has limited to the flight route without camera action. Camera actions needs to be upüdated afterwards. There are some CCC editors web-based or you use Tunas UAV toolbox that is running on the ST16 as well as in web.

To convert telemetry to CCC waypoints you need q500log2kml. Read the manual:

Download: http://h-elsner.mooo.com/downloads/q500log2kml_en.zip

br HE

Are we to assume that you want to take stills from these prescribed waypoints? If so, I would add that when using CCC for consecutive flights over long periods; on either the Typhoon H or the Typhoon H Plus, you can, or may see slight deviations in position and especially in height. If your distance and height in relation to the subject is far enough, these slight deviations will not matter but if you are close to the subject or surrounding objects, you may find that the deviations are too great.

Once you learn to perform a CCC, you can try to run the course at some interval of several days and see if the results work, if not I would just manually pick points around the construction site from where you want to take pictures at a given altitude at put a marker in the ground at each point and record the altitude from which you shoot each shot and then manually fly the route.

Again all of this is assuming you want to do stills, if on the other hand you want to shoot video and want to stitch it all together you may find that this is beyond the scope of either Typhoon to get good results as the GPS and barometer cannot provide the kind of precision that takes.

Are we to assume that you want to take stills from these prescribed waypoints? If so, I would add that when using CCC for consecutive flights over long periods; on either the Typhoon H or the Typhoon H Plus, you can, or may see slight deviations in position and especially in height. If your distance and height in relation to the subject is far enough, these slight deviations will not matter but if you are close to the subject or surrounding objects, you may find that the deviations are too great.

Once you learn to perform a CCC, you can try to run the course at some interval of several days and see if the results work, if not I would just manually pick points around the construction site from where you want to take pictures at a given altitude at put a marker in the ground at each point and record the altitude from which you shoot each shot and then manually fly the route.

Again all of this is assuming you want to do stills, if on the other hand you want to shoot video and want to stitch it all together you may find that this is beyond the scope of either Typhoon to get good results as the GPS and barometer cannot provide the kind of precision that takes.

Yes, this is for still frame imagery.
I have a feeling that I will have to accomplish this task manually, but I will give it a whirl.

Thanks.

Yes, this is for still frame imagery.
I have a feeling that I will have to accomplish this task manually, but I will give it a whirl.

Thanks.

If you have the H480, you do not have to be resigned to doing manual flights.

CCC works. UAV toolbox works. I used UAV toolbox to do daily and weekly flights to record a cabin build on the opposite side of a bay from me. The flight maxed out about 1000 feet from launch point.

If you’re like me, what you’ll find as the real challenge is the constant desire to tweak. This comes more from learning the tools (aircraft and apps), discovering what they can do. This is where UAV Toolbox shines: one doesn’t have to fly in order to tweak the flight path!

Another trick that worked for me: plan the flight for video. What that means is, adding enough waypoints to ensure smooth transitions to, around, and from your subject. Each waypoint can be programmed for unique altitude and camera direction/angle. Keeping the transition smooth is the objective.

My end product consisted of short 3-5 second clips, at approximately the same viewpoints, taken from each flight, when changes were noticeable in the construction process. These were combined into the final video presentation, forming its own time lapse.

If stills are mandatory, the same planning is applicable. The choice then becomes “do I manually click the shutter at desired locations during each flight, or will frame grabs from those videos suffice?”

Good luck with your endeavor. Hopefully you will share whatever technique you come up with, along with progress reports (imagery!).

Jeff

I agree, UAVToolBox is an OK app for a Typhoon H. It's nowhere near what Litchi or DroneDeploy can do for a DJI, but it's easier to lay out CCC waypoints on the controller than it is to fly the mission and set waypoints manually...

Hello All,

Does anyone know if the Typhoon can record coordinates during a flight so that it can fly to those same points months later?

My task is to fly to these same points once a month for a year to take pictures of a construction project. The goal is to show monthly development from the exact same point of view.

Thanks,
I have been flying this waypoint file since 2018.
It's smooth enough to look good even a double speed.
The rectangular orbit is 12 waypoints.
Then I switch to manual for the approach to the door.

Hello All,

Thanks,
Here is the whole process at a home site.
(Tall trees on the right.)

Reactions: Mike Irish

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss