Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Carbon fiber prop review

Reaction score
Recently purchased a set of carbon fiber props and there's a few things to review about them, while they offer better, well not better but a faster response to the controls, the camera (video recording) suffers.

Apparently the gimbal is calibrated to operate efficiently with the oem props and response. I made a few runs with both the stock props and the CF props and the recorded video quality suffered using the CF.

Recording is fluid with oem and jumps around with CF due to it's ability to change direction/altitude very quickly. This might be great for a race quad but for an aerial camera it completely negates the benefits.

Reactions: Big Anthony
oh thanks for the review. You saved me some money as I was going to try a set of the CF props. No need now.

I have just flown my 4k with Aeronaut carbon props (xmas present) after checking them on my dubro balancer and found they were well balanced and flew really well in 10mph gusting 15mph winds , held position real good , recording was smooth no drama's , they are quieter than OEM , well pleased.

I have just flown my 4k with Aeronaut carbon props (xmas present) after checking them on my dubro balancer and found they were well balanced and flew really well in 10mph gusting 15mph winds , held position real good , recording was smooth no drama's , they are quieter than OEM , well pleased.

You must have the "Genie" edition props because everything you just said don't happen with my set. The only difference I can tell is flight control reaction is faster as well as climb speed.

I think a lot of people including your self are trying to justify in your minds the $50 spent, I have no problem stating I wasted it.

john w harris

I have also been using Aeronaut carbon props on my 4k for some time and find them fantastic with absolutely no
issue with the camera (so I also have the genie which came with the props).
I have also clocked them with better battery times as it makes sense due to no or very little prop wash (or vortex) of the plastic ones as they flex too much therefore loosing efficiency.
They are smoother and more responsive and I do recommend them it is worth the money
Best wishes.
John V

Sorry but I have nothing to justify , they work for me period .as we all know through reading numerous threads that no 2 Typhoons.are the same , mine likes them yours doesn't its the chance you take with aftermarket parts.
If I had problems I would have stated so , so no need to get aggressive , we are all Q500 owners , learning and heilping where we can.

Reactions: Jersey Jigger
john w harris
I apologise if I gave the wrong impression that was not my intention and to be aggressive.
regards,
John V

Well, I like that you are all playing nice but I'm still up in the air (Pun intended) over the CF Props? Aeronaut, Maytech 13X3 vs. 13X4.5? We need more reviews please.

Sorry but I have nothing to justify , they work for me period .as we all know through reading numerous threads that no 2 Typhoons.are the same , mine likes them yours doesn't its the chance you take with aftermarket parts.
If I had problems I would have stated so , so no need to get aggressive , we are all Q500 owners , learning and heilping where we can.
Didn't mean to sound aggressive, my apologies, my experience with the blades is just not the same, perhaps the few times I tested them it was more windy than when using the oem blades, I do not know. Perhaps I'll try them again when it's dead calm, if that day ever arrives.
Happy new year to you and yours.

And a Happy New year to you all .
Weather not good for me either only got out once over Xmas , hopefully get some calmer days soon. :)

Hey guys. I'm new to the drone world, and I mean very new. I pur hased a Typhoon Q500 -4K a week ago and havent even taken it outside or even started up the props yet. I just ordered a Typhoon aluminum case like the 1st gen kits came in. Mine is a gen 2. I have been looking at the CF props and just found this thread and created an account here. If you cant tell by my username, I am a photographer, semi pro to be exact with 32 years experience. I bought my drone to open new avenues of my photography.

As a newbie to drones, should I look at CF props now or wait? I saw someone say something about having to balance props. Is this something that has to be done with all props? Are the different brands set up differntly for each drone? Bad wording.. Is there something that would need to be done to use one brand of prop on a certain drone that doesnt need to be done with a different brand? I also saw a reference somewhere else about prop widths. How does that benefit a drone flight and response but are there also negative side effects for photo and video quality?

Sorry for the overload. I'm older, but new to this. So many questions. I just dont to mess up and do something wrong that cause issues with a $1k investiment. I dont take risks with my DSLR equipmemt and dont want to do it eith my new drone. Thanks for any help you all can give me in advance.

I haven't tried carbon props, but I have up on studied them. It seems to me that they are more aggressive in their design which will translate to more responsive controls. I am not certain about battery life. The thing to remember is that, being carbon fibre, they are significantly stronger than the plastic OEM props. In a crash, this translates into them not breaking as easy. In a tip over, this can be a good thing as you break fewer props. In a crash though, the OEM props will break, taking the impact. A carbon fibre prop might not break, transferring the impact from the prop to the frame. This can lead to stress, and possible crack or breaks when the impact is not absorbed by the prop. The other thing to consider, especially for those that catch their drones, is that they are more likely to cut you rather than break. At $44 Can per set, I think I will stay with the OEM props, but that is just my opinion. Different needs for different people.

Have a great day all!

Last edited:
You should probably fly with the stock props for a while. Get used to flying as-is before changing any variables.
As a photographer, I'd think the main benefits would be that CF tends to be quieter, which if you shoot live subjects may be a concern. Battery life would be the other difference, but from most of what I've read, battery life difference tends to be minor or negligible. So unless you're routinely pushing your batteries to get the shots you need, probably not a concern. The better handling probably won't really affect you.

I'm hesitant to get carbon props.... I kinda like that the props will break before there is damage to the rotors.... seems a bit easier on the pocket book to fix. I suppose if I was into racing the carbon ones would be great but I'm just a "Sunday driver" :D

Reactions: Bullhorn1976
If you were in to racing, you probably got the wrong vehicle..
I'll probably try out carbon props at some point, if they're really quieter that's an advantage for a craft that's already a bit quieter than its competition.

If you were in to racing, you probably got the wrong vehicle..
I'll probably try out carbon props at some point, if they're really quieter that's an advantage for a craft that's already a bit quieter than its competition.

I realize that I'd need a different flyer for racing... my point was that for what I do carbon props wouldn't be advantageous.

Guess you didn't catch the humour in my original comment. :)

I just received my carbon blades last week from Carolina Dronz and only 1 out of the set would go on my typhoon.. I called & told them & of course they were quick to get another set sent out.. now this set doesn't want to go on.. I'm very frustrated, but I guess I shouldn't but, since I know they aren't what should be on there to start with..I called & told them that I think I'll just stick to my originals and that I will be returning the carbon set.. [emoji853]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis