Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

CCC Editor - Yam/Yaw orientation not accurate

Reaction score
All,

Please find below my experience using CCC Editor to edit a CCC mission file. Something is wrong and I can't figure it out. Any help would be appreciated. (especially from @Eric)

Note:
I am aware Yam and Yaw and the same for CCC missions. Or said another way, camera orientation (YAM) is always facing forward and locked to Yaw (H orientation). No problem.

The process:
Went on site and created a CCC mission using the ST16 and H in the air. Saved and flew it.

Video of flight:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwSU7h-wuqCOTzZOSFZ0UV9Md2s

I then downloaded the mission_data file from the ST16. Mission file:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwSU7h-wuqCOejF2SlhCMHcxa2M
and opened in CCC Editor:

upload_2016-11-30_14-15-11.png

ummm...that doesn't jive. Seems orientation from 0 to 180 (the easterly directions) are good. But anything west of 0, is out of whack.

Thoughts?

-ZenLife

I see the Yaw values up to 180 are 'normal', but values with a westerly component contain the factor that Tuna was describing a few weeks ago.
Have you tried amending the 'abnormal' westerly vaules to normal compass points, i.e. west is 270 and flying that CCC?

Intrigued by this issue, I tried to replicate it and set up the CCC shown in the pic below using Eric's editor. West facing points were amended to normal compass degrees.Tongue CCC Capture.jpg

I set the Typhoon flying the route and the video shows the result.
At just over 1 minute, the Typhoon passes waypoint D and the camera faces west and remains facing west, despite the changes in flight path, until the Typhoon passes point G, when as programmed the camera turns to face north.

Last edited:
Intrigued by this issue, I tried to replicate it and set up the CCC shown in the pic below using Eric's editor.

Hey Graham, glad you were intrigued. ;) and thanks for testing.

West facing points were amended to normal compass degrees.View attachment 4253
What do you mean "west facing point were amended to normal compass degrees? Can you explain further where they are amended? Did you manually amend (or edit) the CCC data file that is outputted from CCC Editor before you upload to the ST16?

In Eric's programme under individual Waypoints, I changed the Yaw and Yam to normal values for a 360 degree circle where these were not as I expected. If I wanted 181 degrees, the values were changed to 181 and if 270, the values were changed to 270 and so on. I just ignored the values Eric's programme was giving me (and any the Typhoon had stored from an in-flight CCC) and input what I thought were sensible values. The updated CCC was exported from the programme to the Typhoon. I have done this on perhaps 20 CCC and the Typhoon has flown and videoed the intended route as expected.

I
In Eric's programme under individual Waypoints, I changed the Yaw and Yam to normal values for a 360 degree circle where these were not as I expected. If I wanted 181 degrees, the values were changed to 181 and if 270, the values were changed to 270 and so on. I just ignored the values Eric's programme was giving me (and any the Typhoon had stored from an in-flight CCC) and input what I thought were sensible values. The updated CCC was exported from the programme to the Typhoon. I have done this on perhaps 20 CCC and the Typhoon has flown and videoed the intended route as expected.

I see. Yes I have done that also. Adjusted the flight pattern and YAM/YAW values in CCC editor to 'sensible' values. Exported and uploaded to H. When I flew the CCC route, the H was not pointed as expected. I do not have video of this currently as it was unusable and I was in the field with a client and quickly had to change to a manual route. Hiding the fact I the flight pattern I programmed was not functioning as expected. Kind of embarrassing and doesn't present well.

The behavior however is exactly the same. If I adjust the CCC route in CCC Editor and fly it, or if I download a CCC file from the H and view it. The YAM/YAW for all westerly headings is not correct.

I'm really surprised I'm the only one having this issue and the behavior can not be repeated. Besides this calculation glitch, I REALLY like CCC editor. It's intuitive and easy to use on a desktop. Don't misunderstand my frustration, as me not liking it or in any way devaluing Eric's fine work. Just bummed I can't get it to work properly and more disappointed in myself I can't figure out what is wrong with what I'm doing.

If you want to upload your CCC file, we can look at it (and I can try it in my app) to see what route we think it would fly?

ZenLife,as the CCC was made by flying and storing the route, the Typhoon should fly this route without problem...................
Do you know anyone else with an H that could try your CCC?

Tuna, the CCC route is available from the OP (last link in the first post). I was thinking of making a CCC having the same Yam, Yaw and distance values and flying it but it could take me some time. Your suggestion would be quicker.:)

If you want to upload your CCC file, we can look at it (and I can try it in my app) to see what route we think it would fly?
Yeah that would be awesome. Thanks!

I'm fairly confident this is the CCC file that I created using CCC Editor and took to the site to fly. If I recall correctly, Waypoint A is good and Waypoint B was jacked up and the H began flying down the fairway, well, not pointed down the fairway. I've had this problem many times before so I knew what it was. That's when I cancelled it and set the manual waypoints. I wish I had the video footage to confirm but I looked. Its gone.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwSU7h-wuqCOekE2YnlsWEFUeVE

Side note: I'm currently recreating the flight in your Flight Center app. Plan on flying both flights next time I'm on site. Maybe tomorrow (Friday). Its heavy golf season right now so I may not be able to squeeze in between groups, but we'll see how the weather is.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwSU7h-wuqCOekE2YnlsWEFUeVE

Tuna, the CCC route is available from the OP (last link in the first post). I was thinking of making a CCC having the same Yam, Yaw and distance values and flying it but it could take me some time. Your suggestion would be quicker.:)

Yes correct, but to clarify, the CCC file in the first post (filename: QR_N13_manual) was created from the ST16 manually. Loading it into CCC Editor shows the inconsistency of the actual flight orientation (based on video) to what CCC editor thinks it will be (based on screenshot).

The second CCC file (filename: QR_N13_8) was edited using CCC Editor and loaded into the H and started to be flown, but cancelled due to it being jacked up. As explained already.

Last edited:
ZenLife,as the CCC was made by flying and storing the route, the Typhoon should fly this route without problem...................

You are correct sir, the H will fly this CCC route repeatably, without a problem. Exactly the same.

The issue is I want to tweak that flight, make it smoother and adjust it for the proper cinematic experience. What happens is, I load it in CCC editor, the cones look off, I fix or repoint them, adjust the flight path, then load it in the H, and it doesn't work.

I have been successful in changing the flight PATH and adding waypoints in CCC Editor. But any change to orientation to make the cone look like its pointed correctly at it doesn't work (on the westerly facing directions)

Do you know anyone else with an H that could try your CCC?
Sadly I do not. But good thought. I actually have a second I use for parts. Had a bit of a fly away experience when I first got it and bam...right into a palm tree. That's the day I learned about the 26 foot circle of death. So its missing a few arms now. The one I fly now is the replacement.[/QUOTE]

@Tuna , I recreated (actually improved I think) the flight using Flight Center and then exported it to a CCC file.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwSU7h-wuqCOcVNxVW9zWVhTNzA

Just for kicks I then loaded CCC file into CCC Editor. Note: Waypoint B and D don't look right. I have no idea what happened to the cones.

@Graham, I'm thinking this is a pretty good test to eliminate the issue being in the brains of my H. Mission file created in Flight Center, exported to CCC format and then imported into CCC Editor and the funky orientation issue is evident. Agree? This is not a Typhoon problem.

upload_2016-12-2_0-2-49.png

Last edited:
ZenLife, your FC_1 file loaded into Eric's programme OK when I tried it. The CCC appears OK and I'm not sure what you mean by Waypoints B and D not looking right. I'm a bit concerned that the distances between some of the waypoints may be a bit short e.g. D and E when you have the Typhoon yawing to face in the opposite direction at these waypoints. To have the best chance of success with a large yaw, she should be moving slowly and I'm not sure if the planned yaw could be achieved if moving at max speed. Between B and C the Typhoon should maintain the same camera yaw, which I assume was your objective. There is a lot of camera pitch change between some waypoints and that should be OK. Give it a try and let us know how you get on!:)

ZenLife, your FC_1 file loaded into Eric's programme OK when I tried it. The CCC appears OK and I'm not sure what you mean by Waypoints B and D not looking right. I'm a bit concerned that the distances between some of the waypoints may be a bit short e.g. D and E when you have the Typhoon yawing to face in the opposite direction at these waypoints. To have the best chance of success with a large yaw, she should be moving slowly and I'm not sure if the planned yaw could be achieved if moving at max speed. Between B and C the Typhoon should maintain the same camera yaw, which I assume was your objective. There is a lot of camera pitch change between some waypoints and that should be OK. Give it a try and let us know how you get on!:)

B should be pointed straight down fairway and D should be pointed at green. Heading out to fly it now....

B should be pointed straight down fairway and D should be pointed at green. Heading out to fly it now....
Thanks for the review of the CCC file.

So I flew it and that was a fail. You are correct, the yaw was off and the pitch was terrible. Not quite what I had in mind. I actually had to change it slightly in the field to this CCC file.
CCC file_FC_2

Here is the video footage. CCC path ends at about 2:00 mark. I should have trimmed it, oops.
Video of FC_2

Unfortunately I didn't have time to make adjustments based on your feedback before I had my flight window. oh well.

Next step, adjust the CCC file again to achieve a "ball path" like trajectory down the fairway and then to the green, then an overhead pass of the green while maintaining focus on the center of the green and then finishing with a shot back to the tee box.

Suggestions on how to check this without actually flying it? Course time is very very limited so I'd like to go there with a higher confidence the path is more dialed in.

Thanks in advance and if you are intrigued enough and have time edit the CCC file, feel free. haha I'll take all the help I can get.

-ZenLife

Very interesting video and nice flying!. If you're intending to imitate the flight of a ball the I think it would tend to rise evenly and drop onto quickly onto the green with reducing forward speed. I think the points A and B are OK for that, but you might need more points for the drop onto the green. I think all waypoints orbiting the green should have the same pitch. Waypoint F looks about right at 49degrees. What do you think?

Flight Center can show exactly where the camera is pointing, and allows you to tap on a point on the ground that the camera will point to - including the correct pitch. If the ground height changes a lot from the takeoff point, it's less accurate, but I've got some very good results with it. You've got to remember that when flying, the camera moves smoothly between each waypoint, so you sometimes need to add in an extra waypoint to get the movement right - if the camera passes very close to the point it's focusing on, it needs to speed up and slow down as it passes by, whereas two waypoints far apart will give a continuous speed..

This was done with eight waypoints.

Very interesting video and nice flying!. If you're intending to imitate the flight of a ball the I think it would tend to rise evenly and drop onto quickly onto the green with reducing forward speed. I think the points A and B are OK for that, but you might need more points for the drop onto the green. I think all waypoints orbiting the green should have the same pitch. Waypoint F looks about right at 49degrees. What do you think?

I agree. Updated CCC file and reflew.
Moving this fly over project to its own thread:
Flight Center v1.9 - Tee to Green flyover

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bancadoithuongads