Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

CCC question

Reaction score
I haven’t used CCC but plan on using it this month. When the camera is NOT in global mode, when the drone is moving from one point to the next, to capture the view I want is that determined by which position I have the camera position at when I add a point? Or is it the direction my drone is pointing when I add the point? Sorry for such a noob question.

TIA
Chad

I think the answer is... it depends on the method used to create the CCC mission... for instance, I am fairly sure that the camera position can be programmed with UAV Toolbox, or the online H flight planner

Flight Planner -Typhoon H

With the native CCC programmed with the ST-16, the camera tilt and pan position will be the same as the camera is, when setting the waypoint. Placing the pan and tilt to global will override that "preset" and allow independent camera operation from the right stick.

I think the answer is... it depends on the method used to create the CCC mission... for instance, I am fairly sure that the camera position can be programmed with UAV Toolbox, or the online H flight planner

With the native CCC programmed with the ST-16, the camera tilt and pan position will be the same as the camera is, when setting the waypoint. Placing the pan and tilt to global will override that "preset" and allow independent camera operation from the right stick.

Ok I just downloaded the latest version of toolbox but have never used that for a mission. I’ll have to do some more research on that. Thanks for answering my question about what determines what the camera looks at!

How the **** does one use flight planner? How does one know the altitude/obsticles/camera angle you need to be at using a 2D map?!? Am I missing something?

Have not used that setup, so I cannot comment... however can you open a second window of the location in 3D in Google Maps?

How the **** does one use flight planner? How does one know the altitude/obsticles/camera angle you need to be at using a 2D map?!? Am I missing something?

Chad,

I have been creating and tweaking some missions lately, using UAV Toolbox. One thing that is inherent with any mission planning program or technique: The pilot must know the terrain! The easiest method I know of is to set the default altitude to a known safe value and then tweak as needed.

As for the camera position, UAV Toolbox sets the camera forward. Changing the yaw direction changes the camera direction. The H480 will turn to the set coordinate (compass heading). One can easily change the direction by enabling the corresponding tool icon (directional arrow type icon) and then touching the screen. The selected waypoint will "turn" to face the point touched.

The camera angle is configured by adjusting the gimbal pitch value at the bottom of the screen.

One tip: To make things easier and not forcing a complete edit of every waypoint added, set the focus on value (lower right of the screen) to "Match Last".

With practice and patience, one can create a fully autonomous and smooth flight path, with matching smooth camera changes, by incorporating several waypoints along a given path, adjusting the yaw slightly with each waypoint. I have one right now that is tracking the progress of a cabin build on our lake shore. After about fifteen tweaks, I am getting some smooth camera movements. Once I learned the technique of "insert waypoints" to smooth out the camera movements during a curve, things became much more enjoyable.

For those suggesting "control the camera with the right stick"... yes, I could just set up the flight path and manually "fly the camera" for each flight, but... the idea is to get the same flight path and same camera angles with every flight.

Hope this helps!

Jeff

P.S. nice to see you back!

Last edited:
Chad,

I have been creating and tweaking some missions lately, using UAV Toolbox. One thing that is inherent with any mission planning program or technique: The pilot must know the terrain! The easiest method I know of is to set the default altitude to a known safe value and then tweak as needed.

As for the camera position, UAV Toolbox sets the camera forward. Changing the yaw direction changes the camera direction. The H480 will turn to the set coordinate (compass heading). One can easily change the direction by enabling the corresponding tool icon (directional arrow type icon) and then touching the screen. The selected waypoint will "turn" to face the point touched.

The camera angle is configured by adjusting the gimbal pitch value at the bottom of the screen.

One tip: To make things easier and not forcing a complete edit of every waypoint added, set the focus on value (lower right of the screen) to "Match Last".

With practice and patience, one can create a fully autonomous and smooth flight path, with matching smooth camera changes, by incorporating several waypoints along a given path, adjusting the yaw slightly with each waypoint. I have one right now that is tracking the progress of a cabin build on our lake shore. After about fifteen tweaks, I am getting some smooth camera movements. Once I learned the technique of "insert waypoints" to smooth out the camera movements during a curve, things became much more enjoyable.

For those suggesting "control the camera with the right stick"... yes, I could just set up the flight path and manually "fly the camera" for each flight, but... the idea is to get the same flight path and same camera angles with every flight.

Hope this helps!

Jeff

P.S. nice to see you back!

Good to see you again as well Jeff!

So I practiced CCC this afternoon and it works great. I’ll be shooting some drone video using it on Friday. I’ll post the video when I’ve finished editing it. Thanks for your help guys.

Reactions: Pepe_Pew
I recommend Tuna's UAV Toolbox. I use it almost 90% of my flights with my H480 pro. If it was not for that program I would probably never fly my H. If the was a waypoint program for the H plus I would buy it, but there isn't so I stick to my other drones that I can program to fly a waypoint route without saying batteries to program type like CCC requires. Yuneec you have the technology use it. Even cheap $200 to $300 drones have waypoint programming. I live the stability of the H in windy conditions, otherwise it is not my first choice for jobs.

I recommend Tuna's UAV Toolbox. I use it almost 90% of my flights with my H480 pro. If it was not for that program I would probably never fly my H. If the was a waypoint program for the H plus I would buy it, but there isn't so I stick to my other drones that I can program to fly a waypoint route without saying batteries to program type like CCC requires. Yuneec you have the technology use it. Even cheap $200 to $300 drones have waypoint programming. I live the stability of the H in windy conditions, otherwise it is not my first choice for jobs.

Ok but how are you doing it? Are you charting your way point on location? Are you just guessing at height and location of obstacles? When flying with Waypoints do you use Realsense just in case? I just bought 3 new batteries since I can chart my path with CCC and save it worst case scenario is I land and slap a new battery for the mission portion. Just curious of your process.

Thanks in advance,
Chad

I wish the UAV toolbox was available for the H Plus as well as the H

I can’t believe the new drones don’t have it. Why they would do away with some of these features seems crazy to me. I wouldn’t be able to use the new drones with my line on work. (Real estate photography and videography)

I can’t believe the new drones don’t have it. Why they would do away with some of these features seems crazy to me. I wouldn’t be able to use the new drones with my line on work. (Real estate photography and videography)

One of the “new” drones does have it. The H520 has both waypoint and grid flight path planning.

“New” as in post H480.

Jeff

I have a laser pen that I purchased years ago to measure distance to holes in golfing. It was an expensive novelty item at the time I rarely used. I use it with every job to measure heights and sometimes distance. I walk the entire job setting GCPs and looking for any obstacles. I set my height to easily clear the objects. The program works great because it flies the waypoints and with video I control the camera movements allowing smooth transitions. For camera pictures for mapping I usually set the degree of angles and waypoints and let the program do it's thing. If it is a construction site it is easy to know the height of the objects on the site with the blue prints. You have to keep in mind for electrical lines poles etc. That aren't as easy to see, not only can they cause telemetry interference but are an obvious obstacle that can down your drone. The only time I use my real sense is when I'm flying far away and it's hard for me to visualize the distance in front of the drone from obstructions. The latency plus flying speed can cause you to fly smack dab into something without it. The flying speed with real sense is painfully slow though. It is ok if you want to slow the speed of the drone to crawl though, especially if you accidently started the program at a slightly faster speed than plan.

Reactions: ChadCloses
True the H520 has waypoints that the H plus doesn't with almost the same camera, however the money the DJI P4 pro has the same ability for waypoints, camera quality (better on fact), and obstacle avoidance, all for less than 1/2 the cost of the H520. I don't own a H520 or a H plus because I already own a DJI P4 pro. I'm not a DJI fanboy either, I just own various drones to get the job done at the lowest cost to me giving me the best results. I want Yuneec to succeed, as well as Autel, GOPRO and any other company that can drive innovation and regulate the drone market prices. Yuneec needs to look at not only what their customers/clients want and need, but also what does their competition offer. I love my H480 when it is extremely windy, or the safety 6 props provides in case of motor failure, however I have never had a motor fail on any of my drones. The only monitors that fail for me is on my racing quads and that is because of either hitting something, or sheer excessive load of demand. I haven't had a collision with any drones and objects in probably 4 years or more, so the 6 prop feature is more of a gimmick in my mind unless wind is involved. I do not fly projects though in high wind anyways.

Reactions: ChadCloses
Have another question. I did a CCC mission today. On the second flight I tried turning on Obstacle avoidance as there were trees I flying through and around. But I kept getting an error every time I tried to activate it. Can Obstacle Avoidance not be turned on when using CCC?

Have another question. I did a CCC mission today. On the second flight I tried turning on Obstacle avoidance as there were trees I flying through and around. But I kept getting an error every time I tried to activate it. Can Obstacle Avoidance not be turned on when using CCC?
Obstacle Avoidance is only for "follow me" or "watch me" modes, for when you won't have your eyes on the drone. You have to physically fly to each waypoint for a CCC mission, so there's no need for OA.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval