Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

CG03 totally dead

Reaction score
Hi all. Question about my 500 4K's CG03. I was doing a little maintenance last night just checking to make sure all is well and operational, and the 500 decides it needs a compass calibration. No problem. Easy enough. I did the calibration and noted that the video image on the ST10 was frozen. I rebooted the bird only to find now that the CG03 will not do anything. No lights. No movement. Nothing. I checked the cable connections etc. but found nothing at all. One other thing I also noticed is that when I shut down the 500, the main LED status indicator will go off, but not the other four. You have to do a battery pull to get a full shut down. When the CG03 is completely removed, this does not happen and the 500 behaves normally. Any ideas what may have happened? Any clue as to where I would even begin to look? Just to be sure whether it is a 500 or CG03 problem, I tested the CG03 on the steady grip and it did the same thing. Nothing works at all. So I'm confident that it is solely with the CG03.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

It's best to remove the camera before doing a compass calibration. All the tumbling of the aircraft adds a lot of stress to the camera gimbal.
Plug the patch cable into the SteadyGrip and test pins 2 and 3 with a volt meter for the 12v supply voltage. Be careful not to short the leads.

Camera Jumper.jpg

Thank you for the reply! I will check that. Thank you for posting the schematic. Now that I know the pinouts, this should help a bit. I checked the camera very closely without disassembly, and have not noticed any disconnected wiring. Yet...

Now after the fact, I also agree that it would be best to remove the camera for the calibration. Not that I blame Yuneec, but they could recommend that and use pictures that do not show the camera still attached, like they do in the manual ;)

By the way, so pins 2 and 3 are power supply. I assume that pin 4 is data. Or is there also a wireless link between the Q500 and the CG03?

By the way, so pins 2 and 3 are power supply. I assume that pin 4 is data. Or is there also a wireless link between the Q500 and the CG03?
The third wire is a control signal for tilt. I agree that Yuneec should have included instructions for removing the camera for the calibration.

Got it! Thank you for clarifying. I will do some testing asap and see what we come up with. Did some promo work for Paul Allen's Heritage Collection yesterday and have a bunch of post to do o_O :D

Ok, so I had a chance to do the diag on the cable. It checks out fine, unfortunately. Would have been nice if that was the issue. However, I did find the culprit.I checked the main board in the CG03 and found this... (see attached) Note the nicely crisped capacitor in the top center of the image. Would you or anyone else perhaps know what this capacitor is and what value? I do have someone able to replace it if possible. I see that B&H has the board on backorder for about $45 each. Perhaps I should buy one of those for an easy fix, and see about repairing the original as a backup.

Attachments

• IMG_20180723_1158363.jpg
    IMG_20180723_1158363.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 14
On second thought, just noted that ordering the board from B&H may not be the way to go. Seems that it does not have the proper firmware installed on it in order for the gimbal function to work. Do you know if it is possible to update the firmware through the GUI? Thanks!

I bought a brand new CG03 as my 500 only had a 2 and all I had to do was bind it and it works good . Sent the 2 in for warranty and it came back today . Life is good

On second thought, just noted that ordering the board from B&H may not be the way to go. Seems that it does not have the proper firmware installed on it in order for the gimbal function to work. Do you know if it is possible to update the firmware through the GUI? Thanks!
Replacing that board also requires a special calibration which can only be done at an authorized camera repair center. Seeing the burned components suggests something shorted out. I would watch for a good buy on a used camera or perhaps send this one in for an estimate.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis