Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

CGO3+ lens

Reaction score
Ok guys, even though it’s a 3+ year old platform, I still love my H.
There is one thing that is bugging more lately however since I’ve gotten more into photos and editing is the lens distortion.
I know there are several aftermarket lenses available. My question is, which lens is best for correcting / addressing this issue?

The difference between the better lenses is quiet small. Im using the one from PeauProductions and I am very happy with it. The sharpness has improved a lot and the distortion is way smaller. The colors have also improved a little. I recommand the one with IR cut.

Link to the manufacturer: 3.97mm f/2.8 82d HFOV 16MP (No Distortion) – Peau Productions

The difference between the better lenses is quiet small. Im using the one from PeauProductions and I am very happy with it. The sharpness has improved a lot and the distortion is way smaller. The colors have also improved a little. I recommand the one with IR cut.

Link to the manufacturer: 3.97mm f/2.8 82d HFOV 16MP (No Distortion) – Peau Productions
Thank you so much for your input. This looks like an outstanding option. Did you install it yourself or have it done by a shop?

Any problems fitting?
@Mrgs1 I did the same upgrade to the Peau 3.97. There are 2 different housings for the CGO3+. If you contact Peau they will tell you to take a pic of your current lens, minus the lens cover of course, and let you know if you need the lens adapter as well as the lens. Focusing can take a few attempts but once you find the sweet spot it improves the cameras quality considerably.

Reactions: Steve Carr
@Mrgs1 I did the same upgrade to the Peau 3.97. There are 2 different housings for the CGO3+. If you contact Peau they will tell you to take a pic of your current lens, minus the lens cover of course, and let you know if you need the lens adapter as well as the lens. Focusing can take a few attempts but once you find the sweet spot it improves the cameras quality considerably.
I had read some were a bit heavy handed and damaged the sensor board. thanks for the information.

I had read some were a bit heavy handed and damaged the sensor board. thanks for the information.
Yes I recall someone on this forum had damaged his sensor. We did 2 H480s w/the Peau lenses and had no problems.

Reactions: Adamg1180 and Mrgs1
Thank you so much for your input. This looks like an outstanding option. Did you install it yourself or have it done by a shop?

I did it myself. It is not very hard. There is a very good tutorial on YouTube but unfortunatly it is in German. But maybe it helps you anyway since the videos itself shows everything you need. It is also important to know that he uses aceton in order to dissolve the glue around the lens mount and that you have to be very careful with the flex wire.

After having the lens installed, I set the focus by mounting some old number plates in a distance of about 10m (32ft) and turned the lens until I found the best position. When found I used a tiny drop of epoxy glue to secure the thread.

Any problems fitting?

Not at all. I ordered the new lens mount as well. As far as I know there are very few CGO3+ outthere which already have a threaded lens mount. Only the very first models had it. I already repaired quiet a lot of CGO3+ and I have never seen one.

Yes I recall someone on this forum had damaged his sensor. We did 2 H480s w/the Peau lenses and had no problems.

I also did several changes already and never had any real issues. Once I somehow cracked the thread of the lens mount. Not sure how this happened.

It's not too expensive, seems a good investment, to breath a little bit of new life into CGO3+.

I did it myself. It is not very hard. There is a very good tutorial on YouTube but unfortunatly it is in German. But maybe it helps you anyway since the videos itself shows everything you need. It is also important to know that he uses aceton in order to dissolve the glue around the lens mount and that you have to be very careful with the flex wire.

After having the lens installed, I set the focus by mounting some old number plates in a distance of about 10m (32ft) and turned the lens until I found the best position. When found I used a tiny drop of epoxy glue to secure the thread.

Not at all. I ordered the new lens mount as well. As far as I know there are very few CGO3+ outthere which already have a threaded lens mount. Only the very first models had it. I already repaired quiet a lot of CGO3+ and I have never seen one.

I also did several changes already and never had any real issues. Once I somehow cracked the thread of the lens mount. Not sure how this happened.
[/QUOTE

What is the benefit of the IR cut?

What is the benefit of the IR cut?

Most of the sensors used in digital cameras are capable of "seeing" IR light. Since your eyes are not, the sensors are build in a way which is not actually capable of noticing IR light as invisble to your eye. Therefore this usually results in the image appearing slightly purple or blue. Sometimes it even seems to be a little foggy.

Unless you really know what you are doing and espacially want the IR light to be recorded, I would always recommand to use IR blocked lenses.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval