Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Charger/balancer/storage YTH accu

• Thread starter Former_Member_14655
  • Start date
Now it’s getting to technical for me.
I’ve got 5400 mah 4s 14.8 volt batteries.
How far “extra” do you think is save to charge?

Have you been using the OEM charger that came with your Typhoon H? If so, then you have been charging your batteries to 16.8 V.

Look at the battery voltage display on the ST-16 when you first power on the aircraft. It will usually read 16.7 or 16.8 Volts. What voltage do you usually land at? Most try to be on the ground by 14.5V. The first low battery alarm will occur at 14.3V.

Post #17 by @Mrgs1 is on the mark. The TH battery is a 4S meaning there are four cells in series so their voltages add together. The nominal voltage of 3.7V times 4 gives 14.8V., and full charge of 4.2V gives you 16.8V.

Reactions: Fred Garvin
I have bought the skyRc q200
I want too get the best out fast charging and use the full capacity of the batteries.
There are some older batteries but they still work fine.
The only problem with then is that I can only fly for about 10 minutes with them.
I hope to get more out of them by”overcharging” then.
Otherwise they would not have much more use for me.

Thanks for the replies.

Quick question.
Does anyone know what the connector from the accu of the st16 is named?

I want to make it work with my skyRc and need to order the right cable for it.

No, you can't bow out saying it's too technical - it's vital that you understand this so you don't break your batteries or set your house on fire.
Your packs are 14.8V uncharged. That is 3.7v per cell. You need to set the final charged voltage (sometimes called End Voltage) to be 4.2v per cell, or 16.8v for the pack. Do not ever set a final voltage higher than 16.8. That way you are not overcharging anything, but instead charging to the correct level.

Then you should fly until you see something around 14.5-14.7v (while the craft is in the air). Land ASAP after that. Once motors are stopped, that will bounce back to around 15.1v, which is ready to be stored, or charged again.

If you have treated the batteries well and never stressed them by over-charging or over-discharging then you should get between 14-18 mins per pack in the air with normal flying in moderate wind. But the flight time you get from that is the flight time you get with those packs - end of story - there is no improving it to be done on the charger.

Last edited:

I think there is confusion here. A Typhoon H 4S 14.8v LiPo states the 14.8V on the label as that is the "nominal" voltage of this type battery. The normal "full" charge voltage of this battery is 16.8v, and if you have been using the stock charger, you are already charging to 16.8v. You should be seeing something like 16.5v to 16.8V on your ST16 screen when preparing for flight with a fully charged battery.
Yes, 16.8v is greater than 14.8v, but it is NOT "extra", or overcharge voltage. It is the normal charging target voltage. Anything greater than 16.8v charging would be an overcharge, and that is a condition to be avoided.

By the way, if you are talking about some battery other than a 5400mah Typhoon H battery when you mention the "older" batteries, please clarify what they are.

Reactions: Former_Member_14655
I believe hendrik has problems with the terminology references. In most of his posts he confuses nominal voltage of 14.8 with a fully charged state. Making that worse is s belief that charging to 16.8V is an “over charge” state.

In short, he has little or no comprehension of lithium battery chemistries, voltage states, snd charging requirements. My thoughts have him hoping to overcome that lack of understanding by following instructions and suggestions from others instead of taking some time to learn what he needs to know.

I strongly suggest he review the battery thread in the H “How To” forum to expand his battery knowledge. At minimum visit www.batteryuniversity.com and spend some time obtaining a free education.

Spending an hour or so learning about a very important subject will pay off handsomely afterwards. You won’t be questioning everything you do, you, your aircraft, and your home will be safer, and you will be able to separate fact from fiction in battery and charger threads on the internet.

Reactions: Former_Member_14655
Thanks everybody for having the patience explaining me how to charge.

I understand now that I respect the values on the batteries for charging en always do that in balancing.

My batteries have always been charged with the original charger and I never went below 14,5 in flying.
However the stock charger is not working proper anymore and I purchased a new charger.
That’s why I wanted all the information and do and don’t about charging.
You all have been great help to me and I accept the fact that the batteries should be handled in the way prescribed.

Keep doin’ what you’re doin’ asking questions in the right places while conducting some online study and you’ll get good at understanding batteries and power systems.

As much as multirotors are advertised as “plug and play, no experience required”, they are anything but that. They are extremely complex systems that demand users learn as much as they can about them to maximize their life span and what we can obtain from them.

When we obtain our first higher than toy grade multirotor we are presented with a lot of technical systems that are combined to effectively operate them. We encounter GPS, auto pilots, system software updating, electronics, radio control and the multiple subsets that make that work, antennas with orientation and radiation patterns, lithium batteries, cameras, stills photography, video photography, image post processing, flight safety, flight planning, aviation law, along with legal requirements and restrictions.

The complexity is so great colleges designed and initiated advanced education degrees devoted to unmanned aerial technology. We may start out as non technical people but getting good with our equipment and obtaining full enjoyment of what they can do pretty much demands we become tech savvy at some level. Thankfully, most everything we need to learn is available online. We only need to search for and spend some time with the information.

Keep doin’ what you’re doin’ asking questions in the right places while conducting some online study and you’ll get good at understanding batteries and power systems.

As much as multirotors are advertised as “plug and play, no experience required”, they are anything but that. They are extremely complex systems that demand users learn as much as they can about them to maximize their life span and what we can obtain from them.

When we obtain our first higher than toy grade multirotor we are presented with a lot of technical systems that are combined to effectively operate them. We encounter GPS, auto pilots, system software updating, electronics, radio control and the multiple subsets that make that work, antennas with orientation and radiation patterns, lithium batteries, cameras, stills photography, video photography, image post processing, flight safety, flight planning, aviation law, along with legal requirements and restrictions.

The complexity is so great colleges designed and initiated advanced education degrees devoted to unmanned aerial technology. We may start out as non technical people but getting good with our equipment and obtaining full enjoyment of what they can do pretty much demands we become tech savvy at some level. Thankfully, most everything we need to learn is available online. We only need to search for and spend some time with the information.

Thanks for the motivating words.
I’m glad that I can ask whatever I want to and get more and more familiar with the thing I want to do.
By the time I know everything about my drone it will be old and tired.
[emoji51][emoji51]

Thanks for the motivating words.
I’m glad that I can ask whatever I want to and get more and more familiar with the thing I want to do.
By the time I know everything about my drone it will be old and tired.
[emoji51][emoji51]
Just need to know the essentials, getting everything set up right, nothing beats being in the air where you can get the true feel and the way the copter responds. You start storing the information quite quickly in your head, the add on features can be explored, but being confident when your flying is a big step, your in control not the H.

Reactions: hendrik14570
Just need to know the essentials, getting everything set up right, nothing beats being in the air where you can get the true feel and the way the copter responds. You start storing the information quite quickly in your head, the add on features can be explored, but being confident when your flying is a big step, your in control not the H.

I feel confident enough when I fly my YTH.
Just want to learn more about everything about the batteries.
I’m a step further now.

Now I’m trying too find my way in battery-land, I want too use my skyRc q200 in the field also.
This charger can be used in 12 volt mode also.
I would really think it’s great to use it via my 12 volt lighter.
Can somebody tell or help me with what kind of adapter I can do this save?

Now I’m trying too find my way in battery-land, I want too use my skyRc q200 in the field also.
This charger can be used in 12 volt mode also.
I would really think it’s great to use it via my 12 volt lighter.
Can somebody tell or help me with what kind of adapter I can do this save?

IMG_5287.jpg

This is a if I’m correct a xt60 connector.

Probably XT-60 but an XT-90 looks the same but larger. An XT-60 is commonly provided with chargers. IMO, it’s not the smartest move on the manufacturer’s part to incorporate a specific plug type as an output port. It can severely limit a user or force them to make adapters that more forward thinking manufactures avoid by using banana plug outlets that accept widely available gang plug adapters.

However, if that port is a DC input the charger likely had an XT-60 to spring clamp or cigarette lighter adapter included in the kit. Word of advice; never use a cigarette lighter adapter with 5000+mA batteries. Auto lighter circuits are often fused at 5A (5000mA) and you end up charging batteries inside the car. Not the best place to have a battery erupt in flames. Use DC charger wires that clamp to battery terminals and charge batteries with them on the ground.

Last edited:
Probably XT-60 but an XT-90 looks the same but larger. An XT-60 is commonly provided with chargers.

You’re absolutely right.
It came with the charger but there is no adapter to the siggaret lighter in the car.
I’m looking for a link or something to a store where they sell them complete.

You’re absolutely right.
It came with the charger but there is no adapter to the siggaret lighter in the car.
I’m looking for a link or something to a store where they sell them complete.
Why can't you solder on a cigarette plug? Charge from a vehicle, a fly lead female can then be used to connect to other sources.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulrs