Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!
I just find it hard to believe that the KP index was the reason my H + fell from the sky. When I have never had a DJI product just drop......

I just find it hard to believe that the KP index was the reason my H + fell from the sky. When I have never had a DJI product just drop......
of course it's not because of KP
if you are a manual pilot, you always observe the behavior of your drone in these critical cases, if you fly in car or smart, the slightest worry of GPS or links to send to the carpet

Reactions: Eagle's Eye Video
KP is a single factor to be considered... however in the last few days we have had numerous reports across several platforms and Yuneec products of unexplained anomalous behavior... during a corresponding period of high Kp-I readings.

Just out of interest, has there ever been a historical case, here or anywhere else, to anyone's knowledge, where a UAV just fell from the sky, and that turned out to be related to KP index ?

I am not the most experienced, but the 'dead drop' really doesn't sound like any symptom of geomagnetic interference / ionospheric scattering I have ever heard of. But I have read that the somewhat vaguely defined term 'other electronics' (referring to non-GPS components) can also be affected, but I haven't seen much that expounds upon what electronics, and how they might be affected ! So I'd be interested to hear if anyone has any further information on that too...

Just out of interest, has there ever been a historical case, here or anywhere else, to anyone's knowledge, where a UAV just fell from the sky, and that turned out to be related to KP index ?

I am not the most experienced, but the 'dead drop' really doesn't sound like any symptom of geomagnetic interference / ionospheric scattering I have ever heard of. But I have read that the somewhat vaguely defined term 'other electronics' (referring to non-GPS components) can also be affected, but I haven't seen much that expounds upon what electronics, and how they might be affected ! So I'd be interested to hear if anyone has any further information on that too...
For me, Kp is to much hype! :eek: Just my opinion.

Reactions: 10-8
KP is a single factor to be considered... however in the last few days we have had numerous reports across several platforms and Yuneec products of unexplained anomalous behavior... during a corresponding period of high Kp-I readings.
@Eagle's Eye Video
I like to challenge you on that. Do you have actual data to support your statement?
Why do we not see more anomalies with other electronic devices using radio waves during high Kp events?
I'm with @AeroJ

Last edited:
I have no specific evidence to support anything... I'm simply noting a correlation in the timing of recent hardware issues with this phenomena... I'm definitely not trying to be Chicken Little... but at the same time, scientific analysis does not normally allow for coincidences either. Without previous ties to anomalies, it is likely unrelated.

I have no desire to spread misinformation... if folks feel it is that inaccurate, I'd be happy to delete the thread(s).

Last edited:
Reactions: oliver
I wouldn't delete it - it's a perfectly valid subject for discussion, even if after that discussion we come to the conclusion it's probably not right ! :)

I have no specific evidence to support anything... I'm simply noting a correlation in the timing of recent hardware issues with this phenomena... I'm definitely not trying to be Chicken Little... but at the same time, scientific analysis does not normally allow for coincidences either. Without previous ties to anomalies, it is likely unrelated.

I have no desire to spread misinformation... if folks feel it is that inaccurate, I'd be happy to delete the thread(s).

Don't worry.... there is plenty of evidence if you search NOAA and other resources where high Kp and solar flares interfere with communication satellites and GPS satellites. Whether this phenomena has brought down a drone is not documented.

For those who don't want to chance things, pay attention to the Kp and don't fly when its high.

If you'd like to be the first to report that your drone did/didn't fall to earth as a result of a solar flare just pay attention to the Kp and fly regardless of a high Kp value. Report your good luck or bad luck.

NOAA Space Weather Scales | NOAA / NWS Space Weather Prediction Center

Last edited:
I check the UAV forecast app before I fly. I’m wondering if the kp index is regional. For example, the uav forecast for my location is a 4. If I drive, say 50 miles away, will it still be a 4?

Since it is a global phenomena, yes it will be the same for all in that hemisphere that is facing the sun... for a specific timeframe.

@Eagle's Eye Video
I like to challenge you on that. Do you have actual data to support your statement?
Why do we not see more anomalies with other electronic devices using radio waves during high Kp events?
I'm with @AeroJ
I agree with you. I have been flying and building heli since the 80s and MRs since before there was GPS available. The only thing a high KP index can do to a drone pilot is find out if they can fly manually. Like the guy that just hit the tower in NY last week. He was flying in a GPS mode among the tall buildings (idiot), lost GPS and the P4 drifted into the building and fell to the ground, almost hitting someone. Like many pilots today, he relied on GPS to fly for him while he just pointed the direction he wanted it to go.
Sorry, but it is a real pet peeve of mine. Pilots buy their drone and always fly with GPS, never learning to fly without it in all orientations. It's amazing how many times I see posts saying something along the lines of " Stupid 'xxx' brand drone! I was flying along fine and it just drifted into (building, tree, etc)!

Reactions: AH-1G
I fly GPS all the time, I rely on GPS due to the points that I need to hit to and guide the drone to the targets where needs to be.

Polar Pro has a great K reader PolarPro | App

And that dude in NYC man o man! He gonna get it! It’s a hefty fine there in NYC. I flew there once, it was thrilling.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval